2019 crf125FB suspension?
  • MichiganJJ

2019 crf125FB suspension?

by MichiganJJ » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:36 pm

Hello, anyone know if there are any stiffer suspension components for the 2019 crf125FB?
  • MichiganJJ

Re: 2019 crf125FB suspension?

by MichiganJJ » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:32 am

Or possibly a lift?
    Maybe in the linkage?
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:19 am

I guess the big question is why do you need stiffer suspension/springs ?? , if you are quite a bit above the target weight for the bike , you are limited .... I know that for the most part springs are unavailable for it , but that does not mean companies like BBR or some other company wouldn't offer higher rate springs , and your only option is to literally call around (or email) the suspension companies like Factory Connection , BBR , etc. , I do know that Race Tech does not offer springs , but they may have some other "workaround" to help with your needs depending on the limitations ........ You "can" stiffen most bikes with valving changes , but that bike has basically no "valving" to speak of , and is basically springs and oil for the most part ..... You could attempt a slight workaround , by using heavier viscosity fork oil , so instead of lets say 5 weight , you could replace it with 10 or 15 weight , though that is not really a fix , it may be a band aid that might make the ride more pleasant ....

What do you weigh ?? , and what are your specific needs/concerns with the stock suspension ?? , what are you doing with the bike that is causing the need for stiffer suspension ?? , or is it a physical (you) weight issue that puts you outside of the target weight as a rider for that bike ??

You "may" have to switch to a bike more accommodating to your needs , sometimes that is the best option , but more info is needed to really give you any suggestions/options other than what I have explained so far
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • MichiganJJ

by MichiganJJ » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:10 pm

Basically looking to lift the bike a little for my son. It’s a great bike for him to learn on. But he is taller than most kids his age and would be more comfortable if the bike was a bit taller. My buddy did this with his DRZ 125 to help it fit his wife better. Thought I’d look into this for my son’s 125FB and ask the community for any insight.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:18 pm

Hi MichiganJJ,

My son was a tall one too.
    I haven't seen a linkage around or even too many other suspension bits for the CRF125FB.

Is it a case of his legs are too long and he is cramped hip to boot?

Would raising the bars or putting a taller seat on help?
    Lower pegs can help as well.

Other than that perhaps a preload of front springs with washers/spacer under the cap and crank up the preload a bit on the shock.

The thing to consider is how long before he outgrows this bike.
    No point investing lots of coin if he outgrows it anyway.

My son is now 6'4" and can still somehow ride one of those baby monkey bikes.
    So outgrowing might not be a bigger issue anyway.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • MichiganJJ

by MichiganJJ » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:00 am

Hi MichiganJJ,

My son was a tall one too.
    I haven't seen a linkage around or even too many other suspension bits for the CRF125FB.

Is it a case of his legs are too long and he is cramped hip to boot?

Would raising the bars or putting a taller seat on help?
    Lower pegs can help as well.

Other than that perhaps a preload of front springs with washers/spacer under the cap and crank up the preload a bit on the shock.

The thing to consider is how long before he outgrows this bike.
    No point investing lots of coin if he outgrows it anyway.

My son is now 6'4" and can still somehow ride one of those baby monkey bikes.
    So outgrowing might not be a bigger issue anyway.

Thanks for the great suggestions, I think bar risers, taller seat, and lower pegs will help.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:36 pm

With raising the bars just look at how much cable free play you have and the routing of the cables. You will need to make sure there is enough slack to be able to raise them and still have throttle,brakes, clutch work smoothly.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas