Rocker cover bolt rubber seal
  • motojoe

Rocker cover bolt rubber seal

by motojoe » Wed May 06, 2020 2:13 pm

Firstly let me say hello from London England.

I have attempted a valve clearance check yesterday and while that was all good when I was reinstalling the rocker cover the bolt rubber seals fell out. My question is what way up do they go? There is a metal side and a rubber side. The metal side is marked UP, does this go towards the bolt head with the rubber side pressing down onto the rocker cover? I would presume so but any clarification would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance and stay safe.

Joe
    JimDirt

Re: Rocker cover bolt rubber seal

by JimDirt » Wed May 06, 2020 4:06 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Here is a picture from the Parts Fiche to help you , but basically the flat part is at the top , the cupped part goes in first , like putting a pan upside down (except this pan has a hole in the center) ..... Hope that helps ;)

2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • motojoe

by motojoe » Sat May 09, 2020 10:20 am

Thanks for the reply. I’ve had another look at the part and I can’t see that it resembles a pan either way up. One side is metal and relatively flat, the other side is rubber with ridges in. I would presume the metal side is the part that sits against the bolt head and the rubber is pressed down onto the cover? Not sure how to post pics but I’ll try to make myself clearer. Thanks again.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sat May 09, 2020 8:32 pm

To post a pic you need a hosting site like IMGUR (what I use) or Photobucket (they charge now) , if for example you used IMGUR , you would create a account , upload your picture to their site , click on your picture and it will open a small window with the picture and a bunch of links off to the right , you choose the one that says for Message Boards and Forums , click "Copy" and paste the link into your post

It will show up like this
    [img]https:/ /i.imgur.com/HnPmgXU.jpg[/img]

But look like this
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Sun May 10, 2020 6:34 am

Yes, the rubber side goes face down against the cover. That is the seal. The metal side goes up to ride as the surface for the bolt to contact and distribute the pressure.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • motojoe

by motojoe » Sun May 10, 2020 8:54 am

Thanks very much for the replies. Sure ill be back on here for more help soon.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Sun May 10, 2020 10:05 am

We sure hope so. Always fun to have new members join in.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200