'08 250X will not Start
  • Yukon Jack

'08 250X will not Start

by Yukon Jack » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:03 am

This is my first post here i hope someone can help me out. O.k., here's the situation, I hope someone can help. I have an '08 250X which is bone stock and other than oil and filter changes/cleanings is all original. I usually put about a 100 miles a year on it. Last week before I went riding the bike wouldn't start with the switch initally, if I kicked it, it would start right up. It was cold that day, i thought that might have something to do with it. During the ride when the bike was hot it would start no problem with the switch.

When I got home after the ride and cleaned it no problem it would start right up with the switch. Yesterday I changed the oil in it and I started it with the switch no problem to warm the oil up. Today I went riding and initially again it wouldn't start with the switch, I had to kick it. Again, once hot while riding I could start it with the switch again no problem.

Like always after the ride today I was cleaning it but this time i can't get it to start either way, just a small backfire every now and then. Now I know these bikes have a valve reputation but I don't push this bike very hard, mostly 2nd and 3rd gear stuff and i've never hit the rev limiter. What do you guys think i'm looking at here? I know this is a reach but could this be as simple as a spark plug issue? It is the original one, never been touched in any way.

Thanks..........
  • Back2-2

Re: '08 250X will not Start

by Back2-2 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:26 am

That sounds like a battery on it's last leg. When you get it to start and would run it for awhile it put enough charge in it for the electric start to function. It sounds like it finally is dead.
    Do some voltage checks and some trouble shooting to see if you are getting voltage to the starter ect...
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200