Help Please!! Coolant Overflow Reservoir 2006 250X
  • dean_frankenberg

Help Please!! Coolant Overflow Reservoir 2006 250X

by dean_frankenberg » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:27 pm

Hey all k was looking for some guidance. I recently purchased a 2006 CRF 250X and the previous owner took the overflow reservoir off. He gave it to me. My question is, how do I do this? The lines are not back there. Is it in my best interest to take the seat off and the quick release side and just follow the line from the radiator? Also I'm not even 100% sure this is the original radiator. Should there be an overflow valve on the radiator for the overflow tube? I guess long story short what am I looking for? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:16 am

There should be a nipple right at the radiator cap neck. The bottle goes down between the frame tubes right under the engine. There are two small bolts to hold it in place. A rubber tube goes from the radiator neck down the right frame tube to the bottle. The bottle cap pints out to the left forward side of the engine. If you have a manual you should be able to figure the route and position of the bottle. No check valve is in the rubber tube. Pretty straight forward. If you don't have a manual you better get one - you will need it for servicing and maintaining the bike.
    Hope that helps.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • dean_frankenberg

by dean_frankenberg » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:52 am

Ok thanks for the reply. See that's what I couldn't find is the nipple by the radiator cap. I'm thinkin it has an unoriginal radiator that does not have that feature. Thank you for your help. I think it sounds like I'll be shopping radiators. :?
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:26 am

I don't know since I have never dealt with after market radiators on any bike - but it seems really odd to not have a nipple for overflow ? I would think even without a catch bottle you would want a boil over to go down to the ground instead of past the cap and all over the radiator ?
    Take a really good look again.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • dean_frankenberg

by dean_frankenberg » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:56 am

Well now that you put it that way you're right. That does make sense. There's gotta be something somewhere. I'm an idiot, so I'm probably looking right at it. I'll maybe get the seat off and everything and try to work backwards and see what I can't find out. I'll keep you posted thanks again you've been a great help.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:49 am

There is nothing in the rear or under the side air filter door. The over flow bottle goes straight down in the frontal area of the beneath the engine. It literally hugs the underside. The tube goes straight down from the right side radiator neck down the frame down tube. It is all up front. Taking the front shrouds off exposes the radiators.

One more thing - One quick way to check for the overflow port. Pull the radiator cap [cool engine] and look right inside the neck area. There should be a little hole that would allow blow off to exit. There should be the nipple on the outside of the neck right at that hole. Possibly broke off but the hole would still be there.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD