Intermittent fault with E Start 2012 250X
  • Deanzo

by Deanzo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:07 pm

Just talking to a guy thats doing a full rebuild, he's loaned me his "black clicker box" to try....sweet!
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:15 pm

Keep us posted on the results !!
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Deanzo

by Deanzo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:27 pm

A swing and a miss :(

Still intermittent, I had hope for a bit, worked everytime I tested, then moved the bike, change the air filter, then tested it again, and no go.

Just texted the guy who loaned me the switch, and he said yes to loaning me his start button and lead.

Round two starts tonight.

Ps
    I keep testing my switch since putting his in with my multimeter, and so far always get continuity. So seems it's fine.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:48 pm

Start checking EVERY connection , including and especially the GROUND that goes down from the battery to the Engine Case on the left (shifter) side right above the countershaft sprocket , it is easy to pull the wires loose without pulling the connection completely apart , usually from lifting the swingarm up and out of the way , so the connector can "look" fine , but still be loose enough to cause intermittent connection issues , especially when you move something and slightly tug on the wire

What i would do is physically grab the wire and see if it moves , even the slightest , if it does (or even if it does not) re-crimp the wire connection where the ring is bolted to the case , then try starting and see what that does !!

report back !!
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Deanzo

by Deanzo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:40 am

Ground wire wouldnt move if I tried to swing on it.

Other starter button/lead didn't even work the first try lol

But.....
    As I was unpluging the starter button lead, I saw a good kink in the lead thats for the stop button and the clutch switch, when I moved that kink, the bike started, move it again, the bike didn't, played with it about 20 times, and it was the same story most times.
    Cut the black outer layer off, the wires "look" ok, or at least the outer coating does.
    Now going to ask for the loan of that lead LOL

Though this could be it.....maybe.....I hope...
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:23 pm

I am guessing that is it !!

I am guessing that the wire became kinked or crimped somehow , and even though the covering is intact , the wire inside at the bend is cut thru , and when moved in a certain position , it makes contact , when relaxed , it does not , i bet if you squeeze the wire back and forth along that area you will feel a indentation and soft spot , that is where the break is

If your handy with a soldering iron and Shrink Tubing , i would cut the wire where its kinked (disconnect the battery first), clear off a slight amount of covering (1/8" at most , just enough to expose the bare wire so it can be soldered) , solder it (making sure you already slid the shrink tubing a little up the wire before reconnection of the cut ends) , then test to be positive its working every time , then slide the tubing over the solder and heat it up till its a sealed connection
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Deanzo

by Deanzo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:19 pm

They are thin wires, couldn't feel anything.

Yes, have everything I'd ever need to solder something.

Popped out at lunch and picked up the loan lead :)
    So I'll try that tonight, if it works I'll cut out 50mm or so of where the kink is and solder a wire in to take it's place.

Checked out the cost of the part here.
    About $40US which is fine if I go that way.
    But 3 weeks indent ex Japan, it's a non stock item for New Zealand lol

I'll let you know tomorrow.
  • Deanzo

by Deanzo » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:18 pm

I won't count my chickens......

Installed the lead/kill button as soon as I got home from work, every time I tested it last night it worked.

And the bike got moved about a lot,
    Had a wee off on Sunday, I was low flying when I found a deep square edge hole on a dip I flew down.
    Ended up with the bars, t/clamps and front guard all on different angles, car park fix kept me going for the day, but needed to do a more full on job last night.

I can keep the lead for the weekend, so will see how it goes, but looking good.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:46 pm

Thats great !! .....well .....except for the get off :cry: , if it works the next ride , then get the new parts and you should be trouble free .....well ..... except for the get offs #-o
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Deanzo

by Deanzo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:16 pm

Good news!

No issues with the e-start in the weekend :D

I'll have a quick look at fixing mine, but the part is too cheap for me to spend to much time on it, so may just order a new one and be done with it. I have the loan of the lead I'm using for the next few weeks.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:45 pm

Cool !!! , glad you found the issue , at least now you can move on and not worry about starting issues while out riding !! =D>
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho