Testing AP 250x 2006
  • 89vette

Testing AP 250x 2006

by 89vette » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:19 pm

Carb was gummed up from sitting with gas in it. When I bench test the carb with fuel in the bowls, no gas squirts out of the AP nozzle. I can force compressed air through though. The diaphragm is new. Updated cover with the check valve in the cover. Does this mean the nozzle is clogged? I'm ready to use a bigger hammer!
    New 05 CRF250X
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:32 pm

It is possible , though usually if something is clogged it is because gas sat in it for a extended period of time , and usually the gas will drain out of the tube , , have you verified the Leak Jet is not clogged or the inlet that is in the bowl lip

Work the throttle a few times and pull off the AP Pump cover , it should have gas in it , if not then something is clogged not allowing the AP Pump Cover to fill

Make sure the float bowl is actually FULL first , not just have some gas in it
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • 89vette

by 89vette » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:32 am

I verified the leak just is OK by putting in a new one. I have the updated cover in it that has the check valve in the cover. I removed the check valve from the bowl. I also replaced the main and pilot jet. The orifices are clear from the pump to the hole up where the bowl meets the carb body. I tried blowing compressed air from the hold in the body that goes up to the AP nozzle and was only able to get a fine spray.

If I fill the bowl with water and manually work the pump with a small punch, nothing squirts out as if it were empty. If I submerge the whole bowl in water, then it pumps. I can't figure out how the fuel gets into the pump in the first place. Does it go down the hole where the check valve is or does it go down the leak jet opening?

Now my problem is I tried to remove the AP nozzle and I think I crushed the hole so I think I'm screwed. I may have to take my chances and split the carb at the mid body.
    New 05 CRF250X
  • 89vette

by 89vette » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:42 am

I went ahead and bit the bullet and split the carb a the mid body. I pushed out the AP nozzle and cleaned it. Now it squirts out as it should. I should have known better than to not run Stabil in the gas. The bike has been sitting for two years with the same gas. Really gummed up the carb. The needle was actually rusted in the seat.
    New 05 CRF250X