Help with Jumping
    brad m

Help with Jumping

by brad m » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:55 pm

2006 250x. Can you jumps these bikes on a motorcross track with doing nothing to the suspension but fine tuning. I weight 190lbs and spend all my money on my son's racing. I'am just starting to jump now and I find that the back end kicks up alot of the times off the jumps. Should i blip the gas just as I take of the face. I had someone watching me today and he said my bike is not bottoming out on the landing like it should. I put the front back to factory settings. Any help would be great.

Thanks.
    Jd jet kit
    Air box mod
    Exhaust baffle removed
    crfsonly
    Owner

Re: Help with Jumping

by crfsonly » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:34 pm

Yes, you can jump the X models. They actually jump very nicely. You do NOT want to blip the throttle on take off. You want to stand up, knees bent, position your upper body where you can look down and see the front number plate. As you run up the face of the jump maintain a constant speed. Make sure not to chop the throttle or blip it as you leave. Doing so will cause the front to drop or the rise, respectively. Use your arms to absorb the jump resisting the tendency to 'roll backwards' with the face of the jumps. As you leave the face of the jump you can push the bars down as needed to change the attitude of the bike. Tapping the rear brake will do the same but this more of an advanced skill. Remember to pull in the clutch if you tap the rear brake.

Practice on safe table tops. Advance jumping skills would be accelerating up the face of the jump, tapping the rear brake, seat bouncing off the jump, whipping, scrubbing. Work on the basics until you can jump safely and comfortably. Make sure you only attempt jumps you are confident can safely jump.

Good luck and post up some photos.

Ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by brad m » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:46 pm

Thank you for that help. I will try that tomorrow when my son and I ride again.
    Jd jet kit
    Air box mod
    Exhaust baffle removed
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:05 am

When I bought the '09 250X I was about the same weight. The bike is okay for jumping at your size but you really need to set the sag properly or it will kick unless you are extremely smooth, i.e, doing what Ken said under optimum conditions.

I never changed the springs when I was riding the bike. It was much more forgiving when I was at or under 180lbs.
    Official Lurker

brad m

by brad m » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:43 pm

I put the compression and rebound back to stock. It made a nice difference. Now lets get started by working my way bigger. Thanks for all the help.
    Jd jet kit
    Air box mod
    Exhaust baffle removed
    momuzik

jump

by momuzik » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:47 pm

hi brad but does it still do a little of the rear coming up? I have the same problem and I find that the back end kicks up alot of the times off the jumps.

somewhere I heard its in the rebound setting of the rear shock

can anyone articulate on this please and should the rebound setting be harder or softer to avoid the bucking syndrome...thanks
    brad m

by brad m » Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:55 pm

I installed a racetech rear spring for my weight and that solved all my problems.
    Jd jet kit
    Air box mod
    Exhaust baffle removed
    momuzik

by momuzik » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:31 pm

ok thanks, I'll contact Racetech for sures :D
    spaceboy

Re: jump

by spaceboy » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:17 pm

momuzik wrote:hi brad but does it still do a little of the rear coming up? I have the same problem and I find that the back end kicks up alot of the times off the jumps.

somewhere I heard its in the rebound setting of the rear shock

can anyone articulate on this please and should the rebound setting be harder or softer to avoid the bucking syndrome...thanks

Typically I have found that by slowing down the rebound of the shock helped keep the rear end from kicking. Turn in the rebound a couple of clicks at a time and test.
    momuzik

by momuzik » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:42 pm

ok got it, tried it out by turning it in about 4 clicks and already working alot better, thanks spaceboy