Output shaft striped
  • diversittee

Output shaft striped

by diversittee » Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:16 pm

I’m new to this forum but have had my CRF 230L for four years and put 8k of the 20k on it.

Just jumped on her to go down to a friends place and the engine was fine but no forward motion when in gear. A quick look at it and the output shaft ( counter shaft) has striped its splines that hold the front sprocket in place.

I just did an internet search and it looks like I have two options a) weld a sprocket on to the shaft b) transmission rebuild with new shaft.

So as a) is not very attractive as it is just a temporary fix is a rebuild a hard job for a seasoned mechanic who has done nearly all jobs on his trucks for years?

Thanks in advance for any help or input.
  • Back2-2

Re: Output shaft striped

by Back2-2 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:31 am

That is a tough situation. Pulling the eng / trans apart to replace the output shaft is a huge job. 8k miles sure seems like low mileage for that to happen. I suspect it was happened from a loose sprocket on the shaft ?
    For what it's worth I have a friend that had a XL650 that had that happen and he welded a new counter shaft sprocket right to the stripped shaft. Not sure how he did it without burning up the shaft seal - but some how he did it and rode the bike for another 30K miles before getting rid of it.

If it were me - I would have a manual and take my time and do it right replacing the shaft. With the skill level you described yourself I think you could do the job without much trouble and not too many required special tools.
    I guess it boils down to how much you like the bike and how long you plan to keep it.

Good luck, would like to hear what you do and how it goes.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200