2008 crf230l needs power
  • 625ryan

2008 crf230l needs power

by 625ryan » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:43 pm

i have bought a 08 230l . i want to jet the bike and leave stock exhaust and put a kn filter on. Someone has removed the baffle and tip from the muffler. Is this Snorkle i have read about in the air box the tube that is connected to the top? What jets and needle position sould i try? All replies will help thanks Ryan
  • hall_philip

by hall_philip » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:42 pm

I personally feel that these bikes run like crap with the baffles out. I would put it back in or buy a slip-on. I know nothing about a snorkel on these bike as I have never tore into one. but my 250x had one on top under the seat, its gone now. not sure your jet sizes but I usually start with my needle in the middle, try three up and three down on the main and get that in first then adj the pilot jet, if you have to turn your fuel screw more than three turns out you need a larger pilot, less than one turn you need a larger one. good luck, keep everyone posted.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:46 pm

A good place to start always is to give the bike a service. It is amazing how many problems are fixed by changing a plug, cleaning/replacing an aircleaner and doing an oil change. Never forget to go over the bike and ensure all bolts and nuts are correctly tightened especially on the sprocket and spokes.

You will need to determine what your jetting currently is before you start and where you feel it is not delivering the power. Get you idle mixture sorted after the service. If the idle screw is between 1 and 2 1/2 turns out it means your idle jet is close to start with. Clearly identify which model carby you have too as some have been replaced by previous owners.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas