Tire change
  • Nyparrothead

Tire change

by Nyparrothead » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi all

I am looking for a more aggressive tire on my cfr230m. I have not been able to find anything in the oem size. Any suggestions

Mark
  • TommyTram

by TommyTram » Fri May 09, 2014 11:13 am

I'm have the same question. So far what I have learned is that no one makes an off-road/aggressive tire for the factory wheel. What I have been told is my only option is to buy a second set of wheels and tires. Has anyone done this? Is there a size wheel and tire I can swap without needing to change the break set up?
  • Bob1870

Re: Tire change

by Bob1870 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:24 pm

Shinko 244 Series Dual Sport (front and back)
    Tire Size: 4.60x17
    Tire Size: 5.10x17
  • Cruz

by Cruz » Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:16 pm

I wanted to get knobby tires for my crf230m and I was gonna get a whole new wheel as tire. We called a few places and they said that the tire would possibly rub on the chain even though we were looking at a thinner tire. I was wondering if anyone has changed the wheel and tire and what size you changed it to (both rim and tire size.)
  • Cao

by Cao » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:45 pm

I haven’t changed out my tires yet.

But I wanted to ask if anyone here ever swapped out the oem wheel set w tubes to a tubeless wheel setup? How much did it cost and what did you buy? Any suggestions what to get or buy? 🙏🏼 thanks
    2020 CRF125F
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:45 pm

You can buy a "Tubliss" setup , they are around $100 for each wheel , I use them on all my bikes ,, it is not like a Tubeless tire for a car or even some street bikes , usually the ones that have tubeless have mag wheels , not spoke wheels , you can make a spoke wheel work with the Tubliss system , but not very well just not using a tube , as the tires are not usually tubeless , they are required to have a tube , they will say "Tube Type Tire" right on them

This is the Tubliss setup I am referring to , they work really well and come in different rim sizes , so you should not have a issue , and I have not had a pinch flat since using them , and have them on the bike in the picture below as well as my other bike ... and is pretty much the only way you can eliminate the tube , even though they do have a tube of sorts , it is called a Bladder and what it does is seal the tire bead to the rim lip , then it has a built in rim lock that you inflate air into the tire itself to whatever PSI you need , the "Bladder" inflated to 100 PSI and that is what keeps the air in the tire and the bead sealed to the rim ...

https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/3239
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:45 am

Outex tubeless system is very popular and has great results on spoke wheels going tube less. Many including myself do it themselves with 3M tape and loc-tite to seal spokes. Do a little internet searching and you will find all kinds of info. on the conversions for both street and dirt bikes, even mountain bikes. Tubed labeled tires are fine on rims after sealing the spokes with one of the above methods. I run 3 - 3 1/2 psi in my trials bike tires on tube less spoke wheels. They only have a rubber rim strip that seals the spokes.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200