Rules of engagement
    paul turner

Rules of engagement

by paul turner » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:22 pm

Sent: 08/14/2010 6:20 PM
    To: xxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: MILITARY LIFE IN AFGHANISTAN....

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT (ROE): ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!!

I have been able to speak with my son sporadically via SAT-PHONE. He has been in firefights almost every day since arriving in Marja 4 weeks ago. Last week they moved into the center of Marja and broke up into 20 man platoons spread out in the city in observation posts/CPs. Shortly after arrival he was asleep when an RPG hit the room next to him and 60 Taliban launched an attack on his OP. This is one of the largest massed Taliban attacks so far. The rules of engagement prohibited any air or artillery support for his platoon and the only thing that saved their butts was an MRAP with a .50 cal. near by which responded to provide support.

Next day he was on patrol with a 10 man squad when they were ambushed on the way back by Taliban with heavy Russian machine guns and draganoff sniper rifle fire. The team leader next to him was hit in the back armour plate as low as possible on the plate. Kevin had some bullet holes through his backpack and equipment, however was unscathed even though rounds hit all around him on the ground. The attack lasted 45 minutes and again no air support or artillery per ROE even though they were outside of the city. It took over 35 minutes for permission was granted to fire one mortar round in support of the Marines. They were rescued by a QRF convoy after 45 minutes.

It is obvious that the Marines are spread too thin as there are not enough of them in the surge, also the ROEs will cause casualties. My son advised that when ever they leave on patrol they see Taliban on motorcycles in black observing their movement, however, they can not engage them as they see no weapons and are not being shot at yet. They serve as spotters for the ambush teams which are very professional and well versed in small unit tactics.

They will also be shot at while patrolling in the city and the shooters will jump on a motorcycle then all the people near by jump on their motorcycles to provide cover for the shooters as they know the Americans can not shoot back. (So much for the poor Afghans we are there to protect).

I will give further updates as I receive them. The holy days of Ramadan are coming up soon, and intelligence indicates that the Taliban may launch a Tet type offensive rather than stand down as usual. The fighting in Afghanistan is much more intense than the media is portraying. The Taliban and their Arab and Chechen supporters are a very well trained, professional group who have superior fire power with their heavy machine guns, they know they will not be attacked by air and are staying to fight rather than hit and run.
    If you ain't crashin', you ain't ridin' :-)