One bike for SM and MX...but which one?
  • Brewsky88

One bike for SM and MX...but which one?

by Brewsky88 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:36 pm

Having a tough time deciding on what to start with. I've been on the street side of supermoto for a couple years now with my DR650 but want to build a bike for the track. The DR is WAY too heavy and the suspension wouldn't last 1 lap on a motocross circuit.

I sold my '02 CRF450R a couple years ago, and since it was the bike I had when I decided to try MX, it was a lot to handle for someone fresh to track riding, it proved a few times that it had more power than I had control. I had ridden my buddy's CRF250R a couple times and loved it, tons more fun for me because I could handle it better and it's easier to throw around. Besides, none of us average Joes are anywhere near the skill level of Jeremy Martin, so no-one NEEDS a 450R on the dirt track, if you do then go race professionally and dominate the 250 class...end rant. Lol. Moving on, so a 250R suits me well for MX, but what about SM? From those I've talked to, on any track bigger than a small go-kart track, the 250 will be pinging off the rev limiter on the straightaways, but if I gear it for better speed then punch coming out of the corners takes a HUGE hit.

Or would I be better suited to get an X? A stock 250X has a top speed near 70 but has reduced acceleration out of the hole, still pulls hard enough for SM but could be a hindrance on the MX side. On the same note the 450X would be tamer as a motard than the R and be a little more difficult for me to grab more throttle than I'm ready for but due to it's increased weight, I would definitely have my work cut out for me when I put it in motocross trim.

Edit:
    My bank account, nor my wife will allow me to buy/build a dedicated supermoto AND a dedicated motocross bike.

Also, NO I will not be selling my DR to get something that is better suited for supermoto racing but still able to ride on the street (i.e. KTM 500 EXC, Husky 501, plated CRF450X), I refuse to be required to do oil changes every 15-20 hours on a bike that I put 10-15 hours per week on, I'll stick with my 5,000 mile service intervals.