Biggest BANG out of your 450x
  • jamminjimmi

Biggest BANG out of your 450x

by jamminjimmi » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:08 pm

I'm wanting to get some opinions as far as big bore kits, stroker kits, higher compression pistons, cams and valves are concerned. I've converted my 05 450x to a full time and eventually part time track bike. I know some times bigger isn't always better so if any of y'all have any experience with the following on your bikes I'd like to hear it. I know I don't want to do anything that's going to make my bike less reliable, since it gets hotter than siht in Houston. I'm also wondering how high comp of a piston I can go with without putting race gas in it or putting a strain on the starter. I would like to add some more power throughout the power band and possibly extend the power band some more. Basically if it were up to me I'd run an Athena 490 kit with a hot rod stroker crank, get my head ported with some Kibblewhites and a stage 2 cam. But making power on paper is alot different on paper than in the real world. Can I make 65-70 HP to the wheel reliably like this??
  • jamminjimmi

by jamminjimmi » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:50 pm

OR....How about a 12.5 JE piston with a worked over head and a hotter cam??
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:51 pm

the athena big bore kit is reliable and will add power along with a ported head, a higher compression piston and higher performing cam. i'm not sure adding the stroker crank will add that much to the equation. i don't have the article in front of me but these configurations were tested a year or so ago and if memory serves there's some diminishing returns when you combine both the big bore and stroker crank.

ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by jamminjimmi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:28 am

any preference on cams Ken? stage 2 or 3, and 12.5 on the piston shouldn't cause any problems with the starter?
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:44 am

You're fine on the compression. The stage 3 cam is nearly all top end. If that's where you want the power that's the cam to get.

I have an '05 CRF450R cam in my 450X right now and love it. Granted it's not a supermoto bike but it's an excellent cam for power throughout. So, if you decide on the stage 2 you might want to consider the '05 CRF450R cam. We stock those as well.

Ken

by jamminjimmi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:04 pm

How about valves? Stainless vs. titanium, is the titanium a bad choice if I'm concerened with durability? Do I need to run different springs with the ti's? I'm forming my list as you speak!
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:23 pm

stainless valves will give you the best durability. we offer the kibblewhite stainless valves along with their spring kits. if you are just replacing the intake valves we have a stainless intake kit.

ken

by abmjl » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:11 am

hi , i have an 05 450x that i used when i first started motarding n loved it. did carb mods + fitted r header pipe n fmf muffler. it had good torque out the corners but lacked alittle pull at topend.
    got tired of changing setup from motard to dirt so got a 04 450r for motarding n x for dirt.
    i have done the usual carb, airbox n pipe mods
    ive removed the base gasket to lift the compression, a cheap and effective way of giving you alot now torque, but you need to fit a carb jet, did remember what size, in the oil line to restrick the flow to the head. look at your bass gasket.
    fitted a stage 3 hot cam n some head work match porting inlet rubber n exurst copper ring n debering n rounding sharper edges in ports to increase flow.
    i have done these mods at seperate times so im able to notice the differnce it has made each time.
    i have to admit i thought i would get more top end pull out of the stage 3 cam but was alittle disapointed.
    fitted a jd 2 stage ignition n that made a big differance, igintion cerve is very importent.
    so ive got good power all though, lots of punch low, mid n it keeps pulling all the way though till around 11500 rpm. i have onboard computer so this is accurate.
    admitedly ill need to maintane it more often with those revs.
    so as far as your x goes id tend to do the carb, airbox, r pipe n aftermarket muffler 1st then go for an ignition n lift compression alittle n maybe stage 2 hotcam, which ive been told is very semiler to the r cam. i dont think the stage 3 would do the x justise cuz of heavy flywheel n head design n i think piston skirts are alittle longer to.
    and about ss valves, yep more relible but also more wight so less power. i havnt had a problem with my x, ive never touch it. i bought it at 22hrs n take the valve cover off for the 1st time at 120 hrs n they were spot on. i ride it hard too, so it gets a thashing. its done 160 hrs now n still screams. i put it down to using fully sinthetic race oil "fuch 15/40" n changing it regarly.
    big bore kits n strokers for motarding, ive talk to lots of different people bout them n the general thought was they done like the revs n thats what you want for motards, revs. guys ive raced with have put then in then taken them out again. my r before the engine mods on a 1/8 mile straight easierly keeped up with a ktm 560, not standard gearing of course.
    just some thoughts from my own experance with the 2 bikes. hope this has helped.
    jason.
  • jamminjimmi

by jamminjimmi » Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:51 pm

So you don't run a gasket at all on the base?
  • abmjl

by abmjl » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:45 pm

no gasket at all. ive used high temp silicon, im a builder so had it on hand. you need to be very carefull how you put it on cuz you dont want any blobs that squosh out on the inside of the crankcase n end up going threw your engine or worse still blocking your oil lines n starving your engine of oil. there are much better sealant products you can use for this job other than silicon. locktite have a couple of choices.
    excuss the spelling,lol.
    by doing it this way you can easy put your bike back to standard if you want, your using the standard piston which i believe is better for longjeverty than after market high comp pistons.
    when fitting the jet in the oil passage in the bottom of barrel you will need to cut a small thread so the jet can screw into it n measure the hole in gasket n match it to the right size jet.
    you'll need to be abit engineering/machanicly minded if your guna do this n have access to some tools.
    alot of people will say dont remove bass gasket cuz it will leak oil, but its a good way to lift compression n if you . it up n it leaks just left barrel n do it again. my first time it leaked alittle, 2nd time round all good.
    let me know how you get on man, any more info just ask.
    nice looking bike too.
    jas.
  • jamminjimmi

by jamminjimmi » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:16 am

OK, tools aren't a problem since I'm a Snap-On dealer, ability I'm good with as well. We'll see if I feel like getting into my motor or just enjoy riding it for now. Because I know once I start taking it apart I'm going to go for broke and change a bunch of siht!
  • secondscene

by secondscene » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:35 pm

I run a 450R and have yet to find a situation where I would desire more power.

I run kibblewhites(both intake and exhaust), with a P&P and have yet(1500+ miles)to even adjust the valves.

Granted I destroy tires with the chain, I have just done the usual maintenance. Oil and air filter changes bi-weekly.

Would be more than happy to answer any questions you have in regards to running a bike of this nature on the street.
    :twisted:
    '04 CRF450R
    Street legal
    Supermoto'd
  • Suputin

by Suputin » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:28 pm

The more important question is do you want to make 65-70 hp on a 260 lb motard?

I have had an Aprilia SXV 550 for the past three years and that thing is a BEAST. And it weighs around 300 lbs.

I think that the same kind of power the SXV 550 makes with 40 lbs less weight would make for an absolutely terrifying ride.