Mapsource Routing Tips For GPS
  • sudomark3

by sudomark3 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:04 pm

Mapsource Routing Tips For GPS

Create routes with the routing tool, let Mapsource create but double-check every turn of the way!
    In Mapsource, select the route and copy the route (Windows Ctrl+C, Mac Cmd+C)
    Open WinGDB3 in Clipboard mode. Click the ‘Convert to clipboard’ button
    Back to Mapsource and hit paste (Windows Ctrl+V, Mac Cmd+V).

JAN 20, 2011 / 8 COMMENTS
    Mapsource Routing Tips

Lately, I’ve been working in Mapsource quite a bit which has led me to standardize the way I route my trips. Here’s just a few things I do that make it easier when I’m working in Mapsource and once I’m on the road looking at the GPS.

First off, the way I do things works best for me and my GPS, which is a Garmin 60CSx. These are just a few tips that work for me and may help others out there be more consistent with routing and trip planning.

I’ve come to learn that doing things the same way for every trip I route and upload to my GPS makes it much easier for me when I’m out on the trip, I can quickly look down and see the color of a track or name of a waypoint and immediately know what I’m looking at. Not second guessing sure does eliminate a lot of “turn-arounds” when you miss a turn or start heading off in the wrong direction!

Tracks NOT Routes
    I was convinced long ago to convert all my routes to tracks, especially if you are getting into some remote trails. The last thing I want is for my GPS to start auto-routing me around. No, I want to see exactly what “track” to follow. So with that said, here’s my workflow for creating routes to tracks:

Create routes with the routing tool, let Mapsource create but double-check every turn of the way!
    In Mapsource, select the route and copy the route (Windows Ctrl+C, Mac Cmd+C)
    Open WinGDB3 in Clipboard mode. Click the ‘Convert to clipboard’ button
    Back to Mapsource and hit paste (Windows Ctrl+V, Mac Cmd+V).
    Your route is now in Mapsource as a track! Here’s just a couple things to keep in mind before you upload tracks to your GPS, especially a 60CSx or similar.

Tracks must be less than 500 points. On the GPS you will only see up to the 500th point of a track if it’s too long.
    To aid in this limitation, cut your tracks in multiple pieces
    Use the Filter.. option in the Track Properties window to reduce tracks to 500 points.
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:04 am

If you want something with more features than mapsource, consider QGIS (http://www.qgis.org/). Be aware, this thing has a learning curve but is capable of providing world class maps (think open source ArcMap for capabilities). You can import every map file I have run across, and export any layer to pretty much any format (including Google Earth KML). If you grab PostGIS (postgres SQL GIS enabler) you can also store you maps in a DB.

To display Google/Bing/OpenStreet maps/sat images in layers while you review or draw, grab the OpenLayers plugin (qgis has a long list of plugins) then choose the provider(s) layer - you can add all if you so choose. I keep 5 different provider maps as layers but typically only have 1 enabled at a time.

Another thing to consider for maps is some-- not sure how many --states have GIS repositories. These can be an amazing source for map data including BLM trails, management area plans, zoning, roads, etc. Utah alone has over 1TB of GIS data available for download ([url]ftp.agrc.utah.gov[/url]). Search online for you State - good stating keywords are "%your_state% shapefile" and "%your_state% ZIP shapefile". Between the 2, you should be able to drill through the fluff to find your state's repository.
    Official Lurker