Voyager
  • Kap

Voyager

by Kap » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:24 pm

So I got this thing and installed it, everything seems fine except I can't get a map to come up. Keep in mind I'm a computer moron, but I assumed that when I go to maps the area I'm in would show up. Nothing pops up, no trails, mountains, nothing. What stupid thing am not doing righ?
    I only hooked up the power and nothing else. Do I need other features wired in for maps ?
    06 CRF450X Rekluse with hand brake.
    CR500AF Rekluse rear hand brake.
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:57 am

crazybrother has one and he may be able to help you with this question.

ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

Re: Voyager

by crazybrother » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:30 pm

Kap wrote:So I got this thing and installed it, everything seems fine except I can't get a map to come up. Keep in mind I'm a computer moron, but I assumed that when I go to maps the area I'm in would show up. Nothing pops up, no trails, mountains, nothing. What stupid thing am not doing righ?
    I only hooked up the power and nothing else. Do I need other features wired in for maps ?

there are no maps installed. You can only download tracks & routes. Go to the trailtech website under the "Voyager" link to check it out. I do have an email into them about loading TOPO maps. I'll let you know what they say.
    2009 Honda 450x (Plated)
    2010 Honda VFR 1200
    2008 Honda CBR 600RR (Wifes)
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:34 pm

from what i understand voyager currently does not support maps. here's from their website FAQ:

"Question: Does Voyager have topo maps?

Answer: On the trail, OHV (off-highway vehicle) riders do not typically utilize elevation data found on topo maps; instead, topo maps are used because of trail route information. Topo maps are mostly based on aerial photos from the 1950’s and 1960’s, so many are out of date and inaccurate. While some updated topo maps are available, the efforts to restore them focus on hiking trails, not OHV trails.

Because topo maps are not particularly well suited for use on OHV trails, Voyager provides a better means of collecting, displaying and sharing up-to-date OHV trail information. Routes may be imported into Voyager from standard GPX files, or exported for later review and sharing. Using Voyager’s trail-centric approach, riders can enjoy a superior experience using up-to-date trail maps.

You can find up-to-date trail information at Trail Tech’s OHV map website: www.OHVtrails.net. There you can plan your rides by overlaying a library of OHV trails and roads on top of detailed topographical maps and satellite images courtesy of Google Earth™. Create your own custom trail collection and upload it to your Voyager GPS dashboard. While OHVtrails.net currently covers only North America, it is being actively developed for other parts of the world. OHVtrails.net is provided free of charge for all to use."

ken

ok

by Kap » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:29 pm

So do I go to web sites and download maps. Will they show the mountain trails I ride?
    crazybrother

Re: ok

by crazybrother » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:30 am

Kap wrote:So do I go to web sites and download maps. Will they show the mountain trails I ride?

It will only show the routes and tracks that you download, not any maps. They may add TOPO map capability in the future but not now. So as of now all you will see is the tracks that you have traveled and any routes that you have loaded to your Voyager. Which is a nice feature anyway, we aren't going to be looking down at the Map while riding! At least i'm not :?
    2009 Honda 450x (Plated)
    2010 Honda VFR 1200
  • Kap

by Kap » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:39 am

Ok, so can I can I d/l from a computer routes that are in my local mountains, or do I have to ride the trails first and store them?
    crazybrother

by crazybrother » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:58 am

Kap wrote:Ok, so can I can I d/l from a computer routes that are in my local mountains, or do I have to ride the trails first and store them?

Yes, as long as they are GPX format. You can also use the "Rideleader" software to create them.
    2009 Honda 450x (Plated)
    2010 Honda VFR 1200
    MattBennett23

by MattBennett23 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:01 am

From my understanding, you can download rides other people have loaded on that site and add your own. Personally, I prefer a garmin setup with roads and trails. Can't count how many times I've popped off a trail onto a road or two track and used Garmin to get me back home or to the truck. Plus you can get one that autoroutes for vehicle use also and kill two birds with one stone. Just my two cents...
    Cale

by Cale » Mon May 09, 2011 10:42 am

Hooked up the voyanger over the weekend, this thing is very cool. Installation was easy only thing was it took awhile for the sateilights to find it. It was cool using the gps on it, I mapped the trail system behind my house. And yes it is water proof becouse it rained the whole time i was riding.
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Mon May 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Cale wrote:Hooked up the voyanger over the weekend, this thing is very cool. Installation was easy only thing was it took awhile for the sateilights to find it. It was cool using the gps on it, I mapped the trail system behind my house. And yes it is water proof becouse it rained the whole time i was riding.

great feedback. i gotta get me one!