Trouble making MapSource, Google Maps/Earth to work.
    Riley

Trouble making MapSource, Google Maps/Earth to work.

by Riley » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:42 pm

I've downloaded my latest trip to Map Source, but it won't view in Google Maps and when trying to open in Google Earth, I get an error.

I've saved the file in .gpx format for Google Earth, but I can't figure out how to make a .kml file.

I've tried DNRGarmin, but I'm having a hard time figuring it out. It showed some stuff where I had turned the GPS on for just a few minutes, though I did get it to get some lines on Google Earth. It showed about 10 logs, some of which were just a short line to nothing. I also think I don't have the track setup to save often enough.

How often do you save points for the track on your GPS?

Any tips or the order I should do this? I'd like to upload to Map Source so I can edit the bad trails or extra stuff out, and have a nice trail on the map.
    Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.

165 main, 42 pilot, JD Red needle 4th clip, R&D Flex fuel screw 2 turns out, open air box, FMF Q4. 4-9000ft, 50-100*
  • pphuff

by pphuff » Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:54 pm

After you import the gpx file into GE, go to the navigation pane on the left and select the "place" (or whatever you named the gpx file). Right click and choose "Save Place As...." From here you can select a KML or KMZ file type.

Track point save intervals vary. Some GPS units save based on time, others save based on track deviation. It just depends upon your unit and how accurate a track log you want. If you're traveling down the interstate you may set the save interval to a longer period. If you're navigating dense woods you might want a shorter interval.
    2006 CRF450x (uncorked)
    2006 CRF250x (uncorked)
    2006 CRF230F (uncorked)
    2011 KTM300xcw
    Riley

by Riley » Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:24 pm

Thank you!

I now have that part figured out, now I'm trying to get the track points not to show. I know I can turn of points in GE, but I'd like them off of Map Source and not to be imported.

I see that DNR will only do tracks or way points, so I've got that working a little better.
    Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.

165 main, 42 pilot, JD Red needle 4th clip, R&D Flex fuel screw 2 turns out, open air box, FMF Q4. 4-9000ft, 50-100*
  • pphuff

by pphuff » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:57 am

for me, and not being familiar with your software, the easiest thing to do to eliminate trackpoints from a gpx file is to first make a copy of the file (if a mistake is made you'll have the original). Open the copy file in any text editor (wordpad, notepad, textpad ...) and delete the trkpt data.

delete the sections that begin <trkpt> and end </trkpt>

<trkpt>
    <ele>12.63</ele>
    <time>2009-06-22T19:10:59Z</time>
    </trkpt>
    2006 CRF450x (uncorked)
    2006 CRF250x (uncorked)
    2006 CRF230F (uncorked)
    2011 KTM300xcw