MapSource tips or tricks?
    Riley

MapSource tips or tricks?

by Riley » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:33 am

I just got a new Legend HCx package, and I'm getting the trail points loaded onto MapSource then into the GPS.

Any tips on marking trails/routes? I'm trying to do a little extra as far as flagging trails that I cannont/will not ride again and making commnts such as ATV, MC, or walk on the trail.

I like to put the traill numbers from the Forrest Service maps so I have a better idea, but I'm trying to make it consitant and as uncluttered as possible.

This way between the GPS and the trail maps I should be able to make some nicer custom maps so that we can choose a route easier based on time/skill and not have to rely so much on memory as to how the trail is.

ThankkS!
    Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.

165 main, 42 pilot, JD Red needle 4th clip, R&D Flex fuel screw 2 turns out, open air box, FMF Q4. 4-9000ft, 50-100*
  • justinx

by justinx » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:18 pm

This is something im about to try and get into as well. It would be nice to choose a GPS that the comunity uses that would allow us to share our maps.

There must be some global community somewhere that uploads and shares maps for gps units.
    xhi

by xhi » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:42 pm

I am planning on getting a GPS unit soon to do the same sort of thing. I hope to use either Google Earth or ArcGIS Explorer to track and share my map data.

When I have a solution in place I will post some info.
    Riley

by Riley » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:50 pm

I saw that someone here had done that. Map Source is supposed to be able to be viewed in Google Earth, but I can't figure it out yet, but this person had and posted the screen shot.

You can email maps from Map Source, but I haven't tried it.

165 main, 42 pilot, JD Red needle 4th clip, R&D Flex fuel screw 2 turns out, open air box, FMF Q4. 4-9000ft, 50-100*
    Riley

by Riley » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:55 pm

xhi

by xhi » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:00 am

That is exactly the type of thing I had in mind. Im glad someone else has already figured it out :D.

In my area I am thinking it would also be cool to try to grab some property boundaries from the assessors office to overlay on the map so I can easily tell who I am riding on.

Also, when I look at that map I am wondering, did the operator have to push a button at each one of those turns to save a waypoint or is there some 'recording' like functionality that is recording the route as he rides? (I know very little about the operation of a hand-held GPS).

It must be pretty inconvenient to press a button at every turn or just every so often to get a good route plot in the map software.
    Memory should be the starting point of the present.
    Riley

by Riley » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:50 pm

The GPS will draw a track or route and so when you look at it, it will show the turns and such.

JohnnyAirtime

by JohnnyAirtime » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:00 pm

Couple things for you guys;

1- Mapsource has a "View in Google Earth" option when looking at a specific place or area in Mapsource. Two clicks gets you into Google Earth

2- Tracking is what is best to show where you've been or where you want to go (bread crumbs). You can turn it on, or off as you desire. You can also edit it when you get home... via Mapsource (taking out the bad spots or trails that lead to nowhere...etc)

3- Waypoints or markers to remember your track. It's best to mark a spot on the map when you encounter a spot you need to remember. I some times will annotate a bad road by riding 200 yards down the road, and putting a skull and crossbones icon (waypoint) at that point. When I get back to my PC, I can edit the track and remove the "bad road" and leave the marker to show future rides to not use that road or path.

4- Opening tracks in Google Earth is possible pretty easily. I use a program to convert my GDB file to a KML. But you can also connect your GPS to your PC, and download it directly into Google Earth. The programs I use, also allow me to convert a track I've made in Google Earth, to Mapsource. A great way to plan a ride if your not sure the roads or paths to take, by using both programs to show you where to go.

5- I've uploaded many mapping programs to my Mapsource. City Navigator, LBMAPS.COM, and other TOPO maps and forestry type roads or Jeep trail maps. They show great terrain, points of interest, and most often dirt trails that are passable via bike. A great way to plan your next ride.

Garmin's 60CSx is what I've been using for the past few years with great success. I've used Magellan and other models of Garmin, and have always settled on the MAP 60 model.
    Johnny J.
    Help us fight Children's Cancer. Check us out at http://Cancer-RideForLife.com

'07 CRF450X
    '15 CR500AFX
    '10 Rzr 800S

'04 XR400R (Sold)
    '01 CR500R (Sold)
    '06 TRX450 (Sold)
    JohnnyAirtime

by JohnnyAirtime » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:08 pm

Here's some examples of Maps, from Mapsource or Google Earth;

(Ridgecrest to Las Vegas);

Race Course in Baja;

Baja Singletrack;
    Johnny J.
    Help us fight Children's Cancer. Check us out at http://Cancer-RideForLife.com

'07 CRF450X
    '15 CR500AFX
    '10 Rzr 800S

'04 XR400R (Sold)
    '01 CR500R (Sold)
    '06 TRX450 (Sold)