Thoughts on some entry-mid level GPS units.
    Riley

Thoughts on some entry-mid level GPS units.

by Riley » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:17 pm

I have a Garmin Foretrax 201 which is okay, but mostly gets used for speed and such just for fun.

I'd like something a little more advanced and maybe with a better use interface.

I'd like something that I can use with my Mac, but it's not a requirement.

Map Source would be a big plus though.

I've looked at the 60MAPcx but that's more than I want to spend, but may if that's what it takes to get what I need.

Rather stay around $200 if I can. I'm looking for a good way to gather info and supplement our less than decent trail maps.

Any input on the Rhino series?
    Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.

165 main, 42 pilot, JD Red needle 4th clip, R&D Flex fuel screw 2 turns out, open air box, FMF Q4. 4-9000ft, 50-100*
  • ccmoran

by ccmoran » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:31 am

Riley,

Just some quick input for you regarding the rhino. I use the rhino on my 450x and several other things’. The reason I went with rhino is that it has a tracking device. An example is when my kids are geo-caching or riding the trails and they have their Garmin GPS I can find their location by using my Rhino and the rhino will walk me right to them if they (my kids) are lost. Believe it or not, you can also locate other people in the woods if they are using a Garmin and they don’t even know that you know where they are.
    Thanks,

Chris

2007 CRF450X
    Steahly Flywheel Weight
    Engine Ice
    SRC High-Pressure Radiator Cap 1.6
    Air Box Mod
    CYCRA PRO-BEND RACER PACK
    WC Radiator Braces
    WC Rear Master Cylinder Guard
  • loff

by loff » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:26 pm

I you have a Rhino 110 and a Garmin ETrax Legend. My Dad and my buddy both have Rhino's and they work great. It's very helpful to have the Walkie Talkie feature. You have to stop to talk to each other but even when riding you can hear the call tone and know you need to stop. Is't very helpful if you get separated or get stuck at the bottom of the hill. The GPS functions are the same between the Etrax and the 110.

The position reporting on the Rhino will only display your location if your in radio range and you must transmit every time you move. Just keep that in mind if you plan on getting a Rhino GPS.

My next GPS will be the Garmin 60cx.
  • big sky honda

60 CX rocks!

by big sky honda » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:08 pm

loff wrote:I you have a Rhino 110 and a Garmin ETrax Legend. My Dad and my buddy both have Rhino's and they work great. It's very helpful to have the Walkie Talkie feature. You have to stop to talk to each other but even when riding you can hear the call tone and know you need to stop. Is't very helpful if you get separated or get stuck at the bottom of the hill. The GPS functions are the same between the Etrax and the 110.

The position reporting on the Rhino will only display your location if your in radio range and you must transmit every time you move. Just keep that in mind if you plan on getting a Rhino GPS.

My next GPS will be the Garmin 60cx.

I have a 60 CX and it works great if you have a battery on your bike hardwire it and you set!
  • loff

by loff » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:23 am

big sky honda

Welcome to the message board.

Since I wrote that last post I have bought a Garmin 60Cx and a 60CSx. I have the power cord all wired up and I'm ready to go. I rode four days in Baja Mexico and the GPS worked great.
    bosshaug1

by bosshaug1 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:41 pm

The Garmin 60CSx is on sale at Costco for $199 :shock:
    2006 CRF250X -JD kit, R can/PMB endcap, CCC mods, 05Rcam, flatland rad guards/skidplate, street legal
    2005 CRF50F -stock