Ladies, please help with some ideas on a bike for my wife.
    Riley

Ladies, please help with some ideas on a bike for my wife.

by Riley » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:23 am

My wife has expressed interest in getting a bike for her self so that we can ride together and better to get the moneys worth out of my new 250x.

She likes the ATV, but the bike and quad aren't really compatible.

So we think we're going to get her a bike next spring, but I don't know where to look for a new rider. I had a 230, but she never rode it and I sold it to get my 250.

I'd love to get her on my 250x, but she's shorter and I think we think it's too much for a first timer. Thoughts? I'd be happy to set it up for her, and it doesn't weigh anymore than my 230, it has the lowering link and we could do more to make it more friendly.

But we're really looking at something like a 150, as it had electric start and is smaller and a better price for a first time bike that might not get ridden a ton. The 150r would be awesome if it was a 150x.

Thanks!
    Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.

165 main, 42 pilot, JD Red needle 4th clip, R&D Flex fuel screw 2 turns out, open air box, FMF Q4. 4-9000ft, 50-100*
    Riley

by Riley » Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:13 pm

She is very nervous, and we don't have access to any other smaller bikes.

I am worried about getting her on a bike that's too big because I don't want to spook her as well, I don't want to get an 80 because I think she'd out skill it before long.

She's not 100% so we need to go slow and careful.

165 main, 42 pilot, JD Red needle 4th clip, R&D Flex fuel screw 2 turns out, open air box, FMF Q4. 4-9000ft, 50-100*
    Riley

by Riley » Sun Nov 02, 2008 3:03 pm

She's about 5'4 or so.

RLPII

by RLPII » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:33 pm

I know you asked the "ladies", but I would say to consider the 230. My wife started out on the 150 F, without the electric start and she just didn't like it for long. We moved her up to a 230 in just a couple of months and so far she loves it, especially the electric starter! The extra power over the 150 allows her to at least go most of the places that I go on my 450 X. Which makes our riding together more enjoyable for both of us.
    The only drawback has been the weight of the machine when she tips over.......but it gives her an incentive not to tip over :lol:
    My wife is 5'4" and had not ridden since she was a kid, which is, shall we say, a "little" over 20 years ago. :roll:
    Hope this helps...........
    Bob
    ~The way I ride no need to worry about cholesterol~
    2005 CRF 450 X
    KRCRFs

by KRCRFs » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:31 am

I never started riding until I was 48 years old. My husband bought us both 225 dual sports. I hated it. It was really heavy and performed poorly in true off-road situations. I was about to quit when Kim bought me a TTR 125L. I loved that bike and it turned around my attitude and my ability to learn.

I've been riding a CRF 230F for four years now and love it as well. It's a full size bike with full size wheels and tires. We had to redo the suspension in the front fork with BBR springs, and we've added a full Baja light kit to it.

Kim had to have his 250X professionally lowered 2" so that he could even touch the ground at all. I ride his bike a lot, but I don't like the hit of the motor. It doesn't have the grunt of a 4-stroke. It feels way to much like the KX 125 2-stroke that he used to ride.

In my opinion there is NO good small bike out there. At least one with a decent combination of motor and suspension. As you have noted, a CRF 150X would be outstanding, but we have given up on Honda ever being a market leader again.

The best new bike that I have ridden is the KLX 140L. If they would put the KX 100 front fork on it, they would have top notch motor-cycle.

As for us, we still ride off-road, but we've also picked up a pair of Harley-Davidson Sportsters and we've put 4,000 miles on them already.

The off-road market place could use a real shot in the arm. Unfortunately, nobody is standing up and putting anything new and modern into it. Unless of course you consider de-tuned moto-cross bikes to be "new and modern".

Good luck with your search!
    Kim's: 04 250X
    13/51 with +11
    Main Jet: 138
    Air Screw: 2.5 Turns

Kathy's: 04 230F
    13/48 sprockets
    Main Jet: 132
    Air Screw: 1.5 Turns

Common:
    Pilot Jets: 42
    Stock Needles: 4th Pos
    No Screens or Baffles
    Open Air Boxes, Twin Air Filters
    snorkmaiden

by snorkmaiden » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:10 pm

I've got a ttr230, and I like it a lot, but in retrospect, I wish I had started on smaller bike, may be a 150..

The 230's got great even power distribution, and motos through anything kinda like a tank. Which was (sometimes still is :D ) sometimes cool in panic-accelerate situations. But sometimes it falls on you, and that can be scary, and can be hard to maneuver on turns, because it's so heavy.

A 230 would probably last her a lot longer before she needed to graduate, but would it scare her away?

I think it depends on her personality a lot, if she's stubborn and aggressive, go with bigger bike. If she's more timid and cautious, go smaller.
    Good luck!
  • Lola

by Lola » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:23 am

My 5c worth.....

Im a small lady, around 1.68m tall and around 52kg......I started off on a Suzi DRZ125 which was perfect for me........the bike weighed just over 80kg.....and even that becomes too heavy when youre tired......it really depends what type of riding youre gonna do........we do alot of enduro and heavy technical stuff......when youre going up monster rocks, a heavy 230 wont work. drop that bike a few times, and youre finished. 107kg? is your lady small? and will she be able to pick it up?
    I have this argument with alot of people........they are quick to push you onto a 230.....but if youre tiny, you cant pick it up!! I have a buddy who just bought one - great bike, its like a little tractor up stuff, but she is alot bigger than me and even she battles.
    I now ride a 150R and the power is more than enough for me, especially up technical stuff....it weighs 77kg and still, gets a little heavy when you get tired. when you get sick of the power, change the jetting - friend of mine did it and man, that thing moves.
    anyway, just my thoughts....
    CRF150R
  • Lola

by Lola » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:29 am

oh and be carefull too....If I bought a CRF150 as a beginner, I would freak out at the power.......
    and I saw a comment on the KLX140........compare that bike to a DRZ125 and the Yammy 125 4t.......the KLX is much more expensive......for only 15cc more?? specs are exactly the same as the suzi and yammy.......
    My suzi was fantastic - very reliable and went up basically anything......so does the yammy - one buddy still rides her suzi and the other rides the yammy, and they are soo happy with them. great beginner bikes. I found a great deal on my new 150 - one I couldnt refuse......If I hadnt come across this deal, I would still be riding my suzi.
    good luck!
    CRF150R
  • Hockymom63

by Hockymom63 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:36 pm

I Started in a TTR 125 after not riding for 30 yrs. rode it for not quite a year, i am only 5-1 but i like to go fast at certain times so i moved up to the TTR 230 its a pig of a bike i cant flat foot but i have no problem holding it up been riding that one about a year now i can't really pick it up but lucky for me i have only fallen twice both times with a group as i dont ever ride alone.
    I am selling both 230's now (son has one too he just started riding) i would love to keep my bike if i can but my son well hes just too good to stay on the 230, He wants to jump & learn tricks so he needs a 250 of some sort.
    If i could get my 125 to go as fast as my 230 it would be the perfect bike!!
    I say TTR 125 everyone loves those bikes great starter bike,cruise around camp bike heck even my son still loves it he was on it this weekend having a blast and hes 15 and 5-9