Involved in head-on crash on trail!
    Motomom

Involved in head-on crash on trail!

by Motomom » Wed May 28, 2008 9:47 pm

Well it's been a while sense we've been out riding. Think Sept of last year was the last time we went riding. So much going on and so many things happening (not all good either) that we just didn't have the time to go out.

We finally got the most of the family out Memorial Day. We went to our favorite spot in Shelton. We knew there would be some nice new trials because they just ran a poker run there that weekend.

There were still a few of the campers left over from the poker run on trials that day. Usually there is hardly anyone around. My hubby was riding our big quad because our sons' bike was broke so he let him ride his bike. Our first ride was uneventful but fun. However, my hubby pulled a muscle in his back when he got high centered on a stump. So we went back to our trailer and had lunch.

We had just started out on our second run, me in the lead, my daughter, son and friend (on a quad). Just shifted up into second, stood up and saw a guy flying down the trail. I went to my right and he aimed right for me. I thought “crap”, so I tried to go left but it was too late. He hit me and flew off into the trees. I don’t even remember hitting the ground or getting up. When I did look around – I went over to the guy and said “you don’t go that fast through here and you always go to the right!” Then I thought about a second rider, if he had a buddy with him. I was thinking he might be flying down the trial too. So I asked him if anyone was with him and he said no – he was stupid and riding alone.

Well the people that were camping heard the crash and came to the fence to see what had happened. The guy tried to stand up and fell back. So they called 911 and brought out some blankets and treated him for shock.

With all this going on – I really wasn’t thinking. My daughter was following me too closely and hit me when I crashed and she crashed. When she fell she ended up burning her right leg on the pipe and bruising her left knee. So then my attention turned to her and I got my son to ride her back to the trailer on the quad.

Medic’s show up and start taking care of the guy so me and my group go back to camp. We decide to pack it up for the day after looking at my bike which was mucked up in the crash.

Soon we see a Life flight helicopter fly over and land where the medics took the guy. So we know things weren’t going well for the guy. My daughter and I go back over to give the deputy our statements. We heard that one of the guys that helped treat the guy on the trail before the medics got there was talking with the guy that hit me. The guy that hit me said it was all his fault and that he must have been going about 55 to 60 mph. He also kept saying he was sorry over and over.

When the deputy came to talk with my son and friend I found out the when the guy hit me – he flew into the trees then bounced back into the trail and right under our friend on the quad. The quad didn’t run over him in anyway just straddled him. So when my son saw that he pushed the quad back off him. Guess that’s why I didn’t see that part of it. Things just happened so quick.

So after all was said and done the deputy (who obviously doesn’t ride) asked if there was a speed limit or and rules for people to follow out there. We told him in the congested areas everyone usually rides slow (keeps the dust down for the campers too) and when meeting on coming traffic you pull to the right and let them know how many in your party. So then he said he wanted to know if he could press charges like reckless endangerment, I told him we would not press charges. Heck that helicopter ride is going to cost him at least $6000+. If he doesn’t learn his lesson with this and $200 ticket won’t either. But I think he might have to sell that bike to pay for his medical.

My daughter's burn is doing okay and I'm just sore. One thing I'm thankful that we are fine and he wasn't riding a quad.

I couldn't find our anything on how he was doing yet. I hope he gets better soon, he was young - in his early 20's. If you all could - please say a prayer for Alan (don't know his last name).
    AMA Member - BRC Member - NMA Member
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Wed May 28, 2008 9:53 pm

Wow.

Glad you and your daughter are OK. I had a similar experience last year. Scary stuff.

I hope he recovers from this and learns something from it.
    Motomom

by Motomom » Thu May 29, 2008 6:51 am

Thanks. First for me in all these years of riding. Usually could avoid things like this. What surprised me was my daughters reaction to this - she was so angry at him.
  • TXSUT

Re: Involved in head-on crash on trail!

by TXSUT » Thu May 29, 2008 8:00 am

Motomom wrote:...I went over to the guy and said “you don’t go that fast through here and you always go to the right!”

Now that's MY kinda woman! :lol:

Glad none of your group was seriously injured, and hope "Alan" is okay and has learned a lesson.
    - Pete

The doc said I have A.D.D., but I think he's full of...HEY LOOK, A CHICKEN!!!
    JAWS

by JAWS » Thu May 29, 2008 8:25 am

Sorry for the incident and glad that you are all OK. In some areas, you have to be extra alert fro such possibilities. Unfortunately, not all of the riders do so with their head.
    Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
    woodsman

by woodsman » Thu May 29, 2008 9:36 am

I know a Alan :shock: Was he riding a 2000ish yz450 or 426? :-o
    Currently, 05 450X
    Previously, KTM 790 Adv R, Cbr600rr, Crf450R, Crf250X
    Motomom

by Motomom » Thu May 29, 2008 10:32 am

He was riding an older 80's XR250.
    woodsman

by woodsman » Thu May 29, 2008 10:35 am

ok, thanks. You had me worried there. :o
    Currently, 05 450X
    Previously, KTM 790 Adv R, Cbr600rr, Crf450R, Crf250X
    Tomato#12

by Tomato#12 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:56 pm

That is scary stuff. One of my buddies just recantley was involved in a head on in his first months of riding. Glad to hear you guys are ok.
    lightflight

by lightflight » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:35 am

I had something like that happen to me except we didn't see each other until we were about 10 ft away (turns!) and I only needed 13 stitches to repair my foot which didn't work all that great. I'm glad you all didn't get extremely injured. stories like this are scary. hope the burn recovers well!
  • topgun

by topgun » Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:05 pm

Have you two looked at the date of the last post ?

Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:35 am