Ginger or MaryAnn?
    befree

Ginger or MaryAnn?

by befree » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:00 am

:lol: So my husband and I were debating bike maintainance methods, and I brought up cleaning the air filter with gasoline or not. He laughed and said that argument was as old as the hills, no, that argument has been going on as long as men have been debating Ginger versus MaryAnn. So, with some amount of humor ;) , I wonder, is it Ginger or MaryAnn? Well?

Personally, I never bring my hands in contact with gas. He cleans my air filter. :lol: But I'm still a MaryAnn 'cause I do lots of the other stuff, just with lots of advice.
    Now a firm believer in neck braces! Don't look at the ruts; don't look at the ruts; don't look at the ruts...
  • Asmith

by Asmith » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:18 am

I use the No Toil system for the air filter. It has a cleaner you dissolve in hot water, something like Oxy Clean.

The gasoline is rumored to break down the glue that holds the different foam segments together.

Oh, and MaryAnn...hands down. :lol:
    krisrtch

by krisrtch » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:22 am

I use the Twin Air stuff. just stick it in the bucket let it soak then rinse and dry.

Mary Ann hands down!!!!! for sure.
    There is plenty of time to sleep when your dead....... Ride Hard!!!
    2012 CRF450R
    2010 CRF250R
    2006 CR85R
    2012 CRF50F
  • nedirtbikr

by nedirtbikr » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:53 am

NoToil system for the filter. And as far as Ginger or Maryann go....BOTH (at the same time!) :twisted: Oh behave! Feeling a littly randy I guess! ;)
    2006 CRF450R (For Sale)
    A-47753 (Jumpin' dirt and clouds!)
    Proud member of the Hamster Nation!
  • redrooster65

by redrooster65 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:01 am

NoToil - MaryAnn
    Last edited by redrooster65 on Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • redrooster65

by redrooster65 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:01 am

NoToil - MaryAnn
    JAWS

by JAWS » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:25 am

No Toil - Ginger for tonight, MaryAnn for life. :)
    Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
    befree

by befree » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:36 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, Ok, I'm on my way to get some NoToil tonight. Hubby's a skeptic; says cleaning with gas'll put hair on your chest. I don't really need any hair on my chest, so I'm getting the NoToil and clean it myself. Learned the hard way that rubber gloves will not protect against gasoline, so I can understand why it would disolve the glue on the filter.

Now excuse me while I go adjust my pigtails... :lol:
    Now a firm believer in neck braces! Don't look at the ruts; don't look at the ruts; don't look at the ruts...
    JAWS

by JAWS » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:47 am

befree wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, Ok, I'm on my way to get some NoToil tonight. Hubby's a skeptic; says cleaning with gas'll put hair on your chest. I don't really need any hair on my chest, so I'm getting the NoToil and clean it myself. Learned the hard way that rubber gloves will not protect against gasoline, so I can understand why it would disolve the glue on the filter.

Now excuse me while I go adjust my pigtails... :lol:

I will tell you a little stupid tale about using gasoline. My friend and I were out in the desert on Thanksgiving a long time ago. HE needed to clean his filter so he went into his trailer and used the sink. Why? I never really understood that. I went in to watch and keep company. In his trailer, the cook stove was adjacent to the sink. He was squeezing the gas out of the filter when the pilot of the stove caught the thing on fire. Now, you can imagine how big of a flame we had and how quickly it got there. Fortunately his door was open and he tossed the whole thing outside. Had his aim been off a little or the door closed, the ending could have been tragic. I decided then that gasoline is made to run in an engine, not clean it. If you must use petro-chems to clean with, use one that has a lower flash point, or you may lose that hair on your chest! :)
    Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
    befree

by befree » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:30 am

Whew, close call!

We've had a couple ourselves, but the time I caught him barfing in his garage because he was trying to siphon with a hose and got gas in his mouth, I threatened him with a match if he ever did that again! Nasty stuff that gas!
  • Ed Stoll

by Ed Stoll » Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:18 pm

No Toil works the best. Regarding Maryann or Ginger. Well from what i've seen in the news recently, Maryann is a partier and was pulled over with Pot in the vehicle... So with that being said definitely Maryann.
    Zish

by Zish » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:33 pm

:D :D +1 ^^^ :D :D

by 124 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:15 pm

Mineral spirits or paint thinner. Cheap, available in 5gal buckets from the paint shop. Cleans the crap out of just about anything. It'll put a match out and isn't crazy volatile or corrosive.

I've been kicking around the No-Toil stuff lately though... ;)
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
    GhostX

by GhostX » Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:23 am

Twin Air and regular maintenance with soap and water and oil...

...hands down Mary Ann...can't swing a leg over a bike in an evening dress (sorry Ginger!) and fake eyelashes stuck on a helmet liner are "No bueno!" Besides, Mary Ann's bare midriff was cool before pierced belly buttons and tramp stamps were in Vogue.... :D
    2006 CRF230F

See the list of Mods in My Garage:
    http://www.crfsonly.com/forum/garage.ph ... le&CID=190
  • Smash

by Smash » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:45 pm

Ms. Howell, she's rich!