Eldorado DEIS - Forest Closure
  • JW

Eldorado DEIS - Forest Closure

by JW » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:01 pm

As many of you may know the Eldorado Forest Service is attempting to close over half of the trails in this forest. This includes dirt road closures to green sticker machines and single track trails. They will listen to people that use these trails if you are frequent users and they will consider revising their current plan if they receive enough letters from the public. PLEASE WRITE A LETTER AND ASK THEM TO KEEP OUR TRAILS OPEN. If you want more information on what is going on please visit http://www.forestclosure.com/ or the forest service's website directly http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/projec ... ndex.shtml

After attending a DEIS workshop by a bunch of OHV users that are interested in keeping as many trails open we have come up with some subjects to think about when writing letters. Some of the OHV people that have been working closely with the Forest Service have also explained some terms that the FS likes and some that should not be used as well. I will do my best to copy my notes here and to explain the why? as best I can.

Some subjects to think about when writing letters:

Dispersed camping. Do you like to do it, if so then state that! Explain that you need many of the current FS dirt roads to access dispersed camp sites. Please explain that you also see many other people trying to experience dispersed camping and that you feel dispersed camping could be in danger if the FS closes our routes. This also is an opportunity to explain that you see so many people trying to access the dispersed camp sites and that if they take so many away then it will not be dispersed camping any longer, it will be a campground with people next to people.
    Your interest in volunteering. If you want to volunteer to adopt a trail or to just help the FS then please express that. Explain that your club, group, family, or just you as an individual want to help keep our trails open. Example: I am willing to work with the Forest Service to help mitigate any issues that could potentially occur in the future (don't mention any current problems as we want to keep your letter positive)
    I appreciate the opportunity to enjoy the forest's valuable assets via dirt roads If you do like to do this then either use this statement or make your own.
    Explain what you might not agree with in the current DEIS, some examples are:
    o Seasonal closures- I am going to say that I do not appreciate the mandatory CLOSED months and that the FS needs monitor the rain/snow fall and close the forest as necessary.
    o Alt A is not an accurate representation of the current inventory of roads as you (the FS) say it is suppose to be?
    Remember to be friendly on this, calling the FS stupid or writing put downs will not help our cause.
    FAMILY this is very important! Many of us enjoy the forests with our families. This has to be explained that your quality family time is often spent exploring dirt road, riding motorcycles, and four wheeling on designated 4x4 routes. Who can argue or insist on taking your family time away, really express the family experiences that you have enjoyed over the past years and the ones you are looking forward to in future years on FS dirt roads.
    History if you know of historic routes that are specific to our forefathers you can mention that. If you have personal history on a specific route then mention that. Anything that you can think of that involves quality time in the forest areas that can only be accesses by dirt roads or trails are worth mentioning.
    Spur Routes or Stub Roads Please remember that often times the dispersed camping that you like to experience is not on the main FS route. This means that you take a spur route or stub road to get to the camp site that is located next to the water or away from the main route. You must mention that you feel it is important to keep these spur roads open so you can access your favorite dispersed camp sites. I believe that a general statement on spur roads can be mentioned but if you can describe the location or specific spur roads then that would be the best.
    Trail numbers are supposed to be referenced, you are supposed to be as specific as possible. If you can not do this through your own research on the net or communications through friends then explain what you like to do and how you like to do it. For example: I am an off road dirt bike rider and I would really like to say that I can not mention specific trail numbers because I am not familiar with them. I can say that I like to ride long loop trails (or trail networks that are greater than 30 miles in length) that are rated very high in difficulty.

Some Terms to mention and some to stay away from:

Dispersed Camping is a good one. You don't want to generalize the work camping because one can do that in a state run camp ground with paved roads.
    Route is a dirt road or paved road so be sure to mention that dirt roads are your concern. We can drive on paved roads anywhere is my thought.
    Trail is always referenced as 50" or less, motorcycle/quad trails.
    High recreational value is exactly what the FS needs to provide. If you mention that you see high recreational value then your comment is supposed to be considered. An example of this term being used is: I often frequent the Deer Valley Route (Route # 09N83) and I see a very high recreational value in this area over the past 10 years that I have been using this specific route.
    Meadows are not places to camp, ride, wheel, or recreate. We only look at meadows and enjoy their beauty or take leisurely walks through meadows.

Other points:

Mention your affiliations. If you are a member of Friends of the Rubicon (FOTR), Blue Ribbon Coalition (BRC), California League of Offroad voters, Friends of XYZ then write it. Even if you are a member in spirit then mention that organization.
    Mention that you believe that all dirt roads should be open to Green/Red stickered machines.
    Remember to mention all the other people you see in the forest (hunters, fisherman, and general outdoors people) and that you know that your specific areas are common areas for other people as well.
    Mention why certain trails have other benefits than just recreating. I use the Deer Valley trail to get from Hwy 4 to Hwy 88 because after fishing at Lake Alpine I like to drive over to Blue Lakes via the Deer Valley Route for more fishing.

In case you need the address to mail your letters or send your emails:

comments-pacificsouthwest-eldorado@fs.fed.us

or

Eldorado National Forest
    Forest Supervisor Ramiro Villalvazo
    "Eldorado National Forest Travel Management DEIS"
    100 Forni Road,
    Placerville, CA 95667

Please remember that the DEADLINE is Sept 4th, your letters must be postmarked and your emails sent by this date. Also, they forest Service will not accept form letters and they will not accept one letter from many people, only individuals. This is of course their way to make this even more difficult for us, please be sure to help as many people as you can to get these letters mailed.
  • JW

by JW » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:58 pm

Here is a much easier way to send a letter if you do not want to say anything specific. It is also a petition to help save our forest!

Thanks,
    JW

http://www.preserveourtrails.com/defaul ... sn7y6_u1zr
  • randman1

by randman1 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:48 pm

Thanks JW, my friend and riding partners will be looking to sign any petition that will help keep El Do open. We love it there. Some have been going sense they were kids.
    http://crfsonly.com/forum/garage.php?mo ... le&CID=512
    Remember it's not how well you ride, it's that you ride!!!