Pending Law: Oregon riding illegal if you're under 12
    befree

Pending Law: Oregon riding illegal if you're under 12

by befree » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:04 pm

Pending legislation in Oregon. Don't know what it's chances are for passing, but the fact that someone even introduced it is bad news for us all. By the way, Oregon's vehicle code includes 2-wheelers under the definition of ATV.

Summary of bill from oregon.gov:

Prohibits operation of all-terrain vehicles by persons under 12 years of age. Restricts operation of all-terrain vehicles by persons 12 to 15 years of age based on vehicle engine displacement. Prohibits sellers of all-terrain vehicles from knowingly selling all-terrain vehicles for use by persons under 12 years of age or for use by persons 12 to 15 years of age in violation of
    engine displacement limitations.

Here is the website for the actual text of the bill:
    http://landru.leg.state.or.us/07reg/mea ... intro.html

We had a couple high-profile (media-hyped) kid deaths recently when their ATVs turned over on them. I agree they're very dangerous, but the bill goes way too far in including all motorcycles and all kids. This just isn't fair.
    Motomom

by Motomom » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:04 am

I saw this a while back and wrote to several senators involved with this. At first it started out being anyone under the age of 16 would NOT be able to ride a bike or quad. I told them if this were to pass we would no long spend our vacations in Oregon sense our kids couldn't ride there. I also stated that there are a lot of Washingtonians that vacation there with their families that feel the same way. (I had them write also) So I guess they are amending it to try and keep some tourism dollars. They are not doing a good job either. Guess we will have to write again.
    AMA Member - BRC Member - NMA Member
  • HondaCRF230rider

by HondaCRF230rider » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:49 pm

i may not live in oregon but i know how it is if one state passes a bill/law then one after one so do the others so if this law gets passed i think california will follow up on it we cant allow this law to be passed.

plus its stating that anyone under 12 or 15 cant ride a bike 90cc's or higher i think that is ridiculous the reason for that is that most of the people that make those laws are fat-cat liberals that are too uptight to aculy do anything but sip wine and call people panzys an laugh at them in their cash piles.
    Motomom

by Motomom » Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:41 am

Befree, anything new on this bill? I haven't heard anything back this time.
    befree

by befree » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:39 pm

I hope this bill is suffering a slow death by committee. It was referred to a transportation committee and has not been moved out, so we may be ok.

I just heard about a bill in Washington concerning noise; it is supposed to reduce residential noise of engines (including bikes and ATVs). Do you know anything about it?

Barbra
    Motomom

by Motomom » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:55 am

The noise bill would have effectively killed ORV riding in this state. We killed it with a massive rally at the capitol. Plus one stupid senator wrote and letter and condemned everyone that used an "internal combustion engine". I don't know how this guy got elected. Seattle area I guess - city people don't understand they are just a bunch of sheep.
    XGiant

by XGiant » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:26 pm

The latest on this issue is that all ATV's must fit the rider, and anyone under age must be in line of sight of an adult. This means that there is now certain criteria for the fit of the rider to the machine, arms bent at a certain angle, knees bent at a certain angle, and the rider centered on the seat, feet on the pegs, etc. This makes sense, but amid all of this... still no helmet law for adults!
    JAWS

by JAWS » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:55 pm

Anything about the rider being too big for the machine??? :) Like you and I and Agent????
    Joe
    '05 CRF450X,McClain suspension, Cycra Probends, Pastrana FMX Pro Tapers,BRP Sub mount & Scotts stabilizer.See carb sticky for more
    XGiant

by XGiant » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:46 am

JAWS wrote:Anything about the rider being too big for the machine??? :) Like you and I and Agent????
    Joe

No, they just figure that we are on pit bikes... smile, wave, and continue about their business!! :D
    Motomom

by Motomom » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:02 am

You guys are funny, my son is 6'5.5" on a yz2250f. That bike looked a bit small for him, he got a 450 and "altered" it - looks better on it.

But seriously, who's going to be taking these measurements in the field? Who is going to be enforcing something where "angles" are involved? If your DNR is smart they will tell them to shove it. I don't like seeing those tiny little kids on those big machines either. I would think fit the machine to the riders skills. Then again, who's going to enforce that, say yes or no. Oh what a tangled web we (they) weave.