Black Lake and Bummers Roost Trails...
    Malindor

Black Lake and Bummers Roost Trails...

by Malindor » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:55 am

Just got back from 3 days of bliss. These trails are located near the Mackinac Bridge and have a lot of varied terrain to keep your rides interesting.

Black Lake is 50" inch trail with some mixed traffic areas; heavily wooded with the Boy Scout plantings circa 1911; so you get a lot of trees that are gigantic, but evenly spaced like a corn field. Lots of minor hills with the exception of one large hill near the top of the loop.

Bummers Roost is beginning to show its age. It is extremely sandy and wooped out like mad. About 60% of this trail is Bike only, so your ATV buddies will most likely need to come up with creative solutions to keep up with you. They have had several wash outs recently, so it is rather rocky and stump strewn, so you need to be a little careful your first time through it. In fact, they had to close about 5 miles of it until they can come up with a solution to the errosion issues. This trail has many more hills, with quite a few challanging ones.

They also have a campground that is directly on the trail system called The Bluffs; they have a bar as well as full bathroom facilities that could use a little updating, if you get my drift. There are also 2 state campgrounds within 10 miles of the trails. One is almost next door to the Bluffs, but is a basic campground. The other one does have basic facilities with a communal shower...

by 124 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:01 pm

I've been itching to dothe Black Lake trail but thought it was much tighter than described. Have quads gotten in there and blown things out?
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
    Malindor

by Malindor » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:51 pm

Are you sure you weren't thinking of Bummers Roost, because the greater portion is clearly Bike only...

Or the DNR definately widened Black Lake, because an ATV will have no problem with any of it; even if they are rippin at a good pace.

by 124 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:55 pm

Malindor wrote:Are you sure you weren't thinking of Bummers Roost, because the greater portion is clearly Bike only...

Or the DNR definately widened Black Lake, because an ATV will have no problem with any of it; even if they are rippin at a good pace.

That sucks. Oh well...we'll have to try Bummer's some time. I absolutely hate when the trail is wide enough to get going that fast. It's dangerous and after awhile a little boring.

We are doing a trail ride on the weekend of Sept 21st. I'm hosting it. PM me if your interested in riding with the group or coming to party with us. Doing the Atlanta trail stuff...usually around a dozen riders or more.
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
    Malindor

by Malindor » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:23 am

Most likely I will not be able to make it...

My "honey" do list has been growing since I have been riding almost every weekend for the past two months. I think the best I can do is the 2nd week of October...

by 124 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:30 am

Good enough. We're having an open ride at our private MX track in Irish Hills that weekend. If your interested, then shoot me a PM, I'll give you the details...

Finish that honey-do list...!!!
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
  • bucknaked

by bucknaked » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:16 am

Just wrapped up a weekend in Black Lake. Great trails..yes, bummer roost is blown out. They have lots of great trails to choose from. A great mix of single track and 50" for quads and such plus mixed for Side-by-sides and Jeeps. The camp ground closed on Sunday (do to state cut backs) not sure if its re-opened or not. There was another facility down the road called the bluffs that has spots available as well.
    Malindor

by Malindor » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:58 am

The Bluffs is a private campground and that is where I stay when I go to that area. They have a Bar on site that serves some of the best Fish you have ever had, for an extremely reasonable price.
  • warren3527

black lake

by warren3527 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:20 pm

i've been up to the bluffs and rode the trails around there. i haven't been on the black lake trail ina while but i've been on bummer's roost a few times. the north loop was sweet last i was there (sep. '07) but the south loop sucked. it was nothin' but whoops...no fun for me anyway. we also shot down to the red bridge loops on the south side of the lake and those were both real whooped too. they must have been that way for a while too cause they don't look like anyone had been on them in quite a while. i don't think i'll stay at the bluffs again. onaway state park is a sweet park the only thing is you'll have to truck the bikes to the trails. i'm used to that so it doesn't bother me too much.

be safe on the trails and take care of them...see you out there.

Ray