MI riding, Where to go?
  • TJHELL

MI riding, Where to go?

by TJHELL » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:14 pm

I am trying to plan a trip with some guys to go to central MI for a couple of days. I was told that Lito :-k National forest was a good trial. Would appricate any feedback on all trails before driving from Rockford, IL six hours and find two trails!!!

Thanks, TJHELL

by 124 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 6:01 am

TJHELL - Welcome to the group.

First, I've never heard of Lito National forest. There is a town called Leota? It has some ORV trails. How far did you want to drive? Mid-michigan has some trails, but personally I don't think they are the best MI has to offer. The mid-michigan stuff is highly traveled and beat up by quads. I recommend driving as far north as you can stand to get into the good tight stuff. Ogemaw and Montmorency are the only lower peninsula counties that allow ORV's on the roads (except any state roads).

Check out these links:

Map of MI: http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,7-1 ... --,00.html

Trail maps of MI: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html

Are you camping? Hotel/motel? How long do you plan on staying? There are a few scramble areas that are worth going to, specifically BullGap (marked E on the DNR trail map). You'd better have spark arrestors and be legit through here. TONS of trails, but as I commented before, they're a little blown out. Regardless, still fun though.

If you're camping on state land, you will need a MI dispersed campsite permit. Any DNR station will have them. see link: http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-15 ... --,00.html

Or any campground near the area, obviously just follow the rules on the board upon entry.

Any other questions?
    70' Honda CT70 (Trail 70; Gold)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
  • TJHELL

by TJHELL » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:21 pm

Thanks for the heads up on riding in MI. I have got on the MIDNR website before and checked out all the trails. Even though I had all the maps in front of me, I still didn't know where I should ride.

Leota is right! A guy told me that his friend went riding there and had a good time.

Thanks for the suggestion and the web address.

TJHELL
    Malindor

by Malindor » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:39 am

I think people like the Leota trails a lot; because it is near impossible to get lost. It is the best marked trail in all of Michigan; including the Upper Pennisula.

It has number posts and trail maps about every 2 to 3 miles, clearly indicating which way to get back to the trail head and how to continue further into the trail system itself. I also feel that it is one on the better maintained trails as well.

Please keep in mind, that this trail is popular, since it is one of the closer trails to the Metro Detroit area, and you will find that on some weekends it will be near impossible to find a parking spot, but they also have two smaller lots that are rather nearby.

I am sure you will enjoy this trail system a whole lot. I would also suggest the trails around and near Crystal Falls in the U.P. Talk about beautiful woods and interesting terrain; lots of little creeks and waterfalls criss-cross the trail systems in this area. It is my favorite place to ride, even though it is a 10 to 11 hour trip from my home.

by 124 » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:50 am

Welcome to the crew Malindor. A fellow D-towner I see....
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
  • TJHELL

by TJHELL » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:36 pm

Malindor , thanks for the suggestion and comments about Leota trail. I will pitch your suggestion into the ride hat.
    Malindor

by Malindor » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:36 am

124 wrote:Welcome to the crew Malindor. A fellow D-towner I see....

Actually a little downriver in Wyandotte, but its easier just to say Detroit since everyone knows where that is at, lol!!!

And if anyone wants to know my opinion about Michigans' trail system; you can certainly ask me as I have riden every one at least twice, with the exception of the Little and Big O trails near Muskegon.

And any other D-towners that are interested in tagging along, you are more than welcome. I have an established group of 7 regular riders. Youngest one is 11 and can really rip it up, to the old man in the group (unfortunately that is me) at 44...

by 124 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:09 am

That's awesome! I got some friends that a "river-rats" too!! J/k... Our riding group ranges in age as well. I'm typically the host of group and self-designated "ring-leader"... :roll:

Unfortunately, our trail riding has dwindled to about 2-3 times a year. Used to be 10-15 times, but my home-life has expanded to 3 children (ages 5, 3, & 1), so the weekend getaways have reduced to the bare minimum (wifey hates those too). I host a bi-annual "3-rule" trip to my cabin in Atlanta that's been going for many years now. We usually get a 15 man group.

We do lots of MX around here though. I'm part of a 4-man crew that runs a private MX track in Irish Hills. Much easier to get away for a 3/4 day than a whole weekend! :roll:

Got your number Paul. I'll PM you with mine. Call me if you ever want to ride an MX track. I good at playing host...
    Also, I'm the group's wrench most of the time. Any technical questions or services needed, I'm cheap... 8)
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125
    Satori

by Satori » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:59 am

hey, great resource here. I just got back into the dirtbike action, with my last ride being a '94 yz125... stepped it up to an '04 crf250r this season and loving it. But anyway, not many friends left around here that ride and not many connections to trails either, so I'm always looking for more info.
    I'm currently in northern oakland c...
    Went to college up in MQT but never had a dirtbike at that time, unfortunately, you know, pay tuition, or dirtbike payment. So I've always wanted to make it back up to that beautiful mecca of an environment, with a dirtbike this time... just haven't gotten the motivation to make the trip alone.
  • mksaxton

by mksaxton » Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:29 pm

The Leota trail is a nice one. If you go out that way you should look for a place called Jonesville Bridge. There is a big open/ sandy area there with some hills that are fun to climb. Also, If you have time hit up some of the trails a little farther north, like in the Houghton Lake area. Or in St. Helen, there is the Geels loop there that is one of my personal favorite trails in that area.
  • warren3527

been on a few...

by warren3527 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:06 pm

well i just found this site and can't get enough of it. i'm on an '05 450X and am trying to tweak it up to run better. not really my point here. i have been riding for a few years now and have only been on a few trails. the mio loop, st helen, rose city loop and crapo creek to name a few. i know there are many more and i'm planning on riding the atlanta area in a couple weeks. so far the mio loop is my favorite. its a great loop. about 25 miles with different types of riding from hilly to tight stuff. hunt creek is right off the mio though i've never riden it (yet) it is more of the same i'm sure. though i think the first part of it is a bit sandy but sand is what you can find i michigan.

anyway. i'll be looking forward to reading more from you guys and maybe we can do some trails sometime. my buddies just can't get out anymore...

Ray
    woodsman

Re: been on a few...

by woodsman » Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:41 am

warren3527 wrote:well i just found this site and can't get enough of it. i'm on an '05 450X and am trying to tweak it up to run better. not really my point here. i have been riding for a few years now and have only been on a few trails. the mio loop, st helen, rose city loop and crapo creek to name a few. i know there are many more and i'm planning on riding the atlanta area in a couple weeks. so far the mio loop is my favorite. its a great loop. about 25 miles with different types of riding from hilly to tight stuff. hunt creek is right off the mio though i've never riden it (yet) it is more of the same i'm sure. though i think the first part of it is a bit sandy but sand is what you can find i michigan.

anyway. i'll be looking forward to reading more from you guys and maybe we can do some trails sometime. my buddies just can't get out anymore...

Ray

Let me guess... iether a wife or a girlfriend is what's keeping them all home? :lol:
    Currently, 05 450X
    Previously, KTM 790 Adv R, Cbr600rr, Crf450R, Crf250X
  • warren3527

you bet...

by warren3527 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:29 am

yeah well that and the one guy has three kids. we just can't get our schedules to mesh. we all live it the city. to go riding is at least a three hour drive. it's just tough sometimes.

Re: you bet...

by 124 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:36 am

warren3527 wrote:yeah well that and the one guy has three kids. we just can't get our schedules to mesh. we all live it the city. to go riding is at least a three hour drive. it's just tough sometimes.

Yeah...I hear ya on that part.

If anyone here is interested, I host a ride in the spring and fall. I eluded to it in a post above. It is typically the same weekends every year. The 3rd weekend in April and September. This fall it is Sept 19/20/21. You can mark your calendar to it, we will be there rain or shine. New guys welcome (with a little hazing ;) ), PM if interested and I'll break down the "3 rules" fo ya!
    16' KX450
    16' KX85
    12' YZ125