Getting plated in Washington with a lienholder
  • kingsranch05

Getting plated in Washington with a lienholder

by kingsranch05 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:43 pm

Thought I'd share my experience getting my CRF250Xs set up with street plates:

I am lazy so I had the dealer I bought the bikes from source all the parts, install them, and do the inspection. About $1500 parts+labor+fees per CRFX.

They gave me the inspection paperwork that I think I remember needing to sign. They also told me if there's a lienholder, then the licensing office will want to chat with the bank.

I got to the licensing office and they told me they need a physical copy of the titles to change them to highway-use, so my bank provided a couple faxed titles in a couple minutes. Not enough for WA Licensing; they want to hold the original paper title. Seems weird since in just about every other legal context I've experienced, a faxed copy of a legal doc is as good as holding the original.

I called my bank back and asked what we can do, and they asked me to have the licensing office send them a demand letter. Seems like if your bank receives a demand letter from an official state licensing office, they are legally obligated to comply. Not that it seemed like Honda Financial Services was trying to weighlay things. They got the titles to the Licensing office in about a week.

Once they arrived at the licensing office, they had to access the titles in their system and update the use type, print me registration, and provide plates with tabs. Cost about $160/plate. You would have the option to renew your ORV tabs if applicable at that point if you want them synced up, but the agency I went to ran out of ORV tabs!
    JimDirt

Re: Getting plated in Washington with a lienholder

by JimDirt » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:55 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

I think we have the same or similar system here in Idaho , I know they really snivel if you do not have the "original" Title , no copies , etc. , even though they are aware that 90% of the motorcycle population has their bike financed .... :roll:
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • kingsranch05

Re: Getting plated in Washington with a lienholder

by kingsranch05 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:34 am

On a related note, I did most of the off pavement parts of the WABDR on my 250X last week. Pretty trip. I'd like to visit Bethel Ridge again soon