NEw to this engine
  • RSNL

NEw to this engine

by RSNL » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:54 pm

Hey whats going on everyone, so i've finally finished most of the projects in my garage and i'm excited to have some money put away to fix my bike. I bought a 2009 crf 250r new right out of the box 3 years ago and probably only had a chance to ride it 4 times. When I rode the bike for the first time I did take it slow and allow it break in time. So heres the issue about a year ago my wife and I took a trip out to ocatillo wells I had just finished doing a rune up on our bikes and figured we could take them out. our first day of riding was about 2 hours late afternoon when we first arrived and all had seemed well with my bike. The next day we went for A 3 hour ride at a nice easy pace with a break about an hour and a half in. well this 3 hour ride turned into a 5 hour disaster when my bikes motor seized up. so I took it home split the motor and found out my timing chain guide (being plastic) had melted. As I am new to these motors i'm not really sure what to expect and would really like some tips. Will I have to replace the cam valves etc can i get away with new guides and a gasket kit??? Any and all info would help.
    crfsonly
    Owner

Re: NEw to this engine

by crfsonly » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:37 pm

welcome to CRF's Only. sorry to hear this is what brought you to our forums. first, this is highly unusual especially given how few hours were on this motor. how much oil was in the engine side when this happened? if it is the engine and not the trans you'll need to pull the head to determine what caused the engine to seize. with the head removed you can inspect the cam, valves, cylinder, piston, cam chain and cam chain tensioner. let us know what you find and we can provide some suggestions on what needs to be replaced.

again, welcome.

ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by staffy24 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:08 pm

that sucks these bike dont like to sit around and if they do all fluids should be replaced and then checked often
    over 40 still ridin hard
    still learning