First Day....
    crfsonly
    Owner

First Day....

by crfsonly » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:04 pm

Today was the first day of testing the Dirt Rider project bike. The testing location was at Lake Isabella. Lake Isabella is just outside of Bakersfield California at about 3,000 ft above sea level.

The first order of business was to get bikes unloaded and then scope out all the other bikes. There were incredibly impressive machines from all the groups. After the scoping static shots were taken of each bike and then a few group shots.

DR testers (associate editors) were assigned to each bike. They were to gear up and get out riding before the rain came to get some action shots.

While Chris, our tester geared up, I started the bike to warm it up and noticed the idle was pretty irratic. After checking ruling out the throttle cables and hot start cable, I focused on the pilot jet. By this time they needed to go...so i set the idle up a notch and Chris took the reins.

They found a fairly large natural jump and reeled off jump after jump. Chris on the CRF's Only bike was catching the most air and even managed to get in a heel-clicker! That's right...a CRF450X over a natural terrain jump busting out a heel clicker! It was pretty sweet to watch.

The went get some roosting shots as they blasted a burm. The CRF450X was really hooking up. Chris' speed through the turn was awesome and the bike look great hitting the turn.

Then they went off on the trail for more shots and testing. Once they returned, I quickly changed the pilot jet to a 48 and this resolved the irratic idle.

Chris had nothing but great things to say about the bike. Initially, skeptical about the Rekluse he came back saying, "this bike is really starting to make me like the Rekluse." Apparantly his previous experience sounded like the z-start might not have been adjusted correctly. Ours really engages well and hooks up strong.

After lunch they went out again on a longer ride. They were gone for hours and hours. Finally, Ty Davis came back with bad news. The ran into snow. They continued on until the snow as over two feet deep. The initial word was several bikes had run out of fuel and one had smoked the clutch. You guessed it...the CRF450X.

Obviously, not good news. However, I had to remind myself of the extreme conditions they were riding in and then find out exactly what happened before I became too concerned.

I didn't have a spare clutch pack but A.J. with Service Honda had a spare for a 500AF. None of us were sure if they were compatible so we ended up pulling the cover of Thumpertalk's personal CRF450R to check. They were very willing to help which was great. Confirming they were the same...we loaded up Ty with tools, the clutch pack, and fuel and he headed back to the stranded group. I loaded up the truck with fuel, food, and dry clothes headed to the trail head to help once they made it off the mountain. Fortunately, they had already made it out.

The short version of what happened to our X? Chris was running great in the snow. He commented on even passing Ty Davis on the trail. There was a KTMTalk member that went along with the group who was exhausted and really struggling on his KTM 525. Chris' comment was "he was having a really hard time controling his bike and your's had so much control with so little effort we decided to have him ride it just to get him down. I don't think he's ever ridden a Rekluse. Anyway, the clutch burned up while he was riding it."

My guess is he left it running in a gear high which caused it to slip like crazy as he attempted to wade his way out of the snow.

So, I'm not too concerned about this...clutches, manual or the z-Start, will burn up if you abuse them.

On the positive side, Chris loves the bike. The highlights of his comments were the power, suspension, balance, and appearance.

we'll be putting a new clutch pack in and he'll be doing more testing. more updates to follow.

ken
  • fat_boy_on_crf450x

by fat_boy_on_crf450x » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:28 pm

Ken,
    Thanks for getting the update posted so quickly. I know it's not a shootout, but are each of the test riders going to ride each of the bikes? Or are they going to stick with their assigned bikes?

Fat_Boy
    Scenes from KM1
    RottenRob

by RottenRob » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:40 pm

Do you have any idea what month the article will be published in DR? That should be some fun reading. To bad about the clutch.
    Life's tough, but it is even tougher when you're stupid.
    RottenRob

by RottenRob » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:43 pm

Did you weigh the difference in our bike to a stock 450X? If so please tell.
    Life's tough, but it is even tougher when you're stupid.
    uniped

by uniped » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:35 am

Ken Thanks for the info. Sounds like we have a very good bike put together. Can't wait to read the DR article. hope to see it soon.

Scott
    ________
    WEED VAPORIZER
    Last edited by uniped on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • 727 Capt

by 727 Capt » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:16 am

Sounds like you did a good job. Can't wait to see all the bikes. Did you get to ride any of the other bikes? Are you going to be there all week?
    05 450x
    04 ttr125(kids)
    83 xr500(Sold)
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:28 am

the bike is very good in every way. clutches burn up...it happens to world class riders whose bikes are prepared by world class mechanics...especially in harsh conditions. in this case, i really believe it was a result of a fatigued rider that didn't listen to the clutch telling him to down shift.

i didn't weigh the bike before and after. that was my bad. i have weighed many of the individual components with their stock counterparts. i'll post those as soon as i can.

they won't be testing every day all day. each tester will do their own testing after yesterday. i know that jimmy lewis rode our bike to see if it could climb this monster hill and several told me that it just motored right up it without difficulty. i think jimmy will ride it again before the article is written.

ken
    Last edited by crfsonly on Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • 727 Capt

by 727 Capt » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:30 am

I just saw the pics on the other thread. That looks awesome. Have you taken the time to add up everything yet? Looks like you spent your money well whatever it cost.
    05 450x
    04 ttr125(kids)
    83 xr500(Sold)
    OLDFATGUY

by OLDFATGUY » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:09 pm

Sounds great so far, cant wait to hear more. OFG
    nowazzu

by nowazzu » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:52 pm

RottenRob wrote:Do you have any idea what month the article will be published in DR? That should be some fun reading. To bad about the clutch.

I've read elsewhere that it is the August issue which should be out by the end of June...beginning of July I guess.
    -nowazzu-
    05' CRF450X
    paul turner

by paul turner » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:16 pm

great job Ken. i can hear Doug drooling from here.
    decent trails up there. i'll bet you guys are doing the steak houses in Kernville.{Ewings,etc.}.

paul
    If you ain't crashin', you ain't ridin' :-)
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:30 am

paul...the biggest sacrifice i've made so far with this project bike build is staying at the isabella motel! i don't recommend it to anyone. fortunately, the bag-o-rocks they called a pillow was a bit softer then the slab-o-marble they called a bed. the place should be renamed flintstone motel! i was sure i saw fred and wilma checking in!

ken
    Last edited by crfsonly on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Roady

by Roady » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:30 am

Thanks Ken. I hope we are going to get a running journal of testing ... anxious to hear about day 2 and the insights, comments, etc from the various testers.

Bike looks like the ultimate collection of the best from Honda and the aftermartket world. Hope the May trip and E-ticket rides are still on the agenda :lol:
    It is a good day to ride
    '05 CRF 450X / '07 300X(C-w) / '08 690R Enduro
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:34 am

i likely won't be with the testers from here on out. i'll be delivering the bike to them with a new clutch tomorrow or friday. then they will have it for two weeks on their own.

can you email me the may details. i wasn't keeping up with all the date and location changes. if i can make it i'll be there. ken at crfsonly dot com

ken
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:04 am

great job Ken. i can hear Doug drooling from here.
    Oh, he is !

Sounds to me like the bike is kicking rear and is going to be a real favorite.
    How obvious can it be that the bike is the easiest and most fun to ride in the field when they gave the bike to the dude who was whipped ?
    Speaking of obvious, when you put together snow,a tired,unfamiliar with a Rekluse rider, to me that equals a barbequed clutch.
    I can't wait to see how this all pans out. With this bike being both a rocket and easy to ride , this is going to expose the "450X is too heavy" as the bs that it is.
    Sure it would be great if it did all it does and had all it has,yet still weighed 30 pounds less.
    The problem is is that then it would probably have an MSRP OF 11,OOO bucks.
    The way things are now it's the best 450 off-road bike made as far as I'm concerned, kept only from complete dominance and near perfection because it should have a 6th gear. Not for me, I don't need it where I ride but the dual sport and desert riders could put it to good use. Doug