General Updates...
    crfsonly
    Owner

General Updates...

by crfsonly » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:41 pm

This week has been mostly securing all of the parts for the build. Next week will be all build! Once that actual build gets underway I'll be posting more frequent updates and photos.

ken
    uniped

by uniped » Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:05 pm

WOAH! I was just getting ready to ask if you had any updates thank.

Scott
    ________
    Suzuki M13Aa Engine Specifications
    Last edited by uniped on Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    cheezeburger

by cheezeburger » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:22 pm

Ken -

I hope your going to start a whole separate thread on pictures.
    Cheezeburger

I'm whats left, I'm whats right
    I'm the enemy - So who are you?
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:26 pm

ok...i know i haven't been as good as i should at posting updates on the build. i'm not even sure where to start on all that's gone on in the last two weeks.

first, let me say that i spent several hours yesterday testing the bike and it rocks! probably the most notable improvements on the bike are the suspension and controls. the RG3 suspension is the best i've ever ridden. i ride in rocky and rutted out trails and prior to the RG3 suspension the front end would be very difficult to control as it has a tendency to really jump around in these situations. now it stays planted, holds it's line, and has amazing absorbtion capabilities. in the rear the bike would have a tendency to swap in certain situations. not anymore. keep in mind that i'm slight (read: significantly) off the target weight of 180-190lbs and this suspension is incredible. i can't imagine how it much better it would be if i was in 180lbs.

the next thing i notice is the power change due to the stage 1 cam. yes, i ended up going the stage 1 cam route versus the stage 2. why you ask? for a couple of reasons, first, this was a trail/off-road bike build for an intermediate rider. most trail riding is done in the low to mid range of the powerband. had it been a desert bike i would have gone with the stage 2 were that increased top end could be put to use. second, since i'm gearing up i didn't want to lose too much on the low end side. third, after consulting with tom morgan, famed mechanic, i was convinced this was the better choice for our purposes.

the power is fantastic. on the top end it feels a lot like the stock power...however, on the low to mid range there's definitely more and it's all usable. once i gear it up it will make the low end perfect with an increase in top speed up top.

now, for the challenging part of the last week plus. yesterday while testing, or perhaps during the cam installation, the starter motor failed. i'm not sure exactly how or why but it did and it put us into a panic. at least at this point we think it's the starter. starters on these bikes are not an easy thing to come by in a matter of hours. however, after enormous effort i located one and we're working on accurately diagnosing the problem and fixing it. i'll know more tomorrow how successful we are and will update all of you on our progress.

back to the things that went well. the graphics with the white plastics look awesome! i had it in the truck today and people were driving by with the big thumbs up signal. that's never happened to me with any bike in the back of my truck. that's a good sign.

i'll post more tomorrow.

ken
    Hook450X

by Hook450X » Thu Mar 30, 2006 6:43 pm

Hey Ken, we are all anxiously awaiting pictures of the bike..
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:36 pm

we had some photos shot today after the graphics were applied to the white plastics. i need to make sure DR doesn't have an issues with me posting them.

i'll post the layout of the graphics kit now.

ken
    Hell_RaiZer

by Hell_RaiZer » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:22 pm

Ken,

Great status report. Good luck on the starter issue. Can not wait to see the finished product. This comes at a great time for me as I just got my bike a couple weeks ago and I doing the mods on it.

H.R.
  • fat_boy_on_crf450x

by fat_boy_on_crf450x » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:09 pm

Ken,
    Thanks for all the work you put into this project and especially your patience in listening to all of the input from this forum.
    Scenes from KM1
  • 727 Capt

by 727 Capt » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:08 am

Great to here that you are testing the bike. Can't wait to see it. Any chance you could clue us in as to where and when you are riding. It would be cool to check it out before you send it off. Good luck working out the bugs.
    05 450x
    04 ttr125(kids)
    83 xr500(Sold)
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:22 pm

i'm actually heading out sunday night to deliver/photo/ride the bike with the DR crew on monday. i'm suppose to arrive at 8:30am at Lake Isabella. i'll be putting final touches on it tomorrow and one last test ride before i wash it down and start packing.

ken
    crfsonly
    Owner

Starter issues...

by crfsonly » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:46 pm

good news...the starter was replaced today and along with some minor tweaks of the decomp gap the bike's e-start is back in action.

minor tweaks and just a few simple add-ons is all we have left to do.

the bike runs great with the new Hot Cams stage 1 cam, the RG3-Showa suspension is off the charts, the Baja Designs Tecate HID lighting system is unbelieveably bright, the Galfer wave rotors and stainless steel braided brake lines are awesome, the White Brothers built Talon/Excel rims look sweet but are also very strong, the White Brothers E2 with there new logo not only looks great but sounds like 95.5db's of pure power, the Twin Air PowerFlow system not only makes replacing the filter easy but you'll want to leave the air box door open for your buddies to see "what's under the hood" it looks great but flows even better, the BRP SUB mount and Scotts stabilzer are the crowning jewels of the controls, and the FLU Designs graphics are off the hook good looking. in short the bike looks great and runs even better.

i just want to say thanks to all of you who participated in this project. this bike represents the suggestions, feedback, expertise, and experience of the greatest group of dirt bikers on the net...bar none. it's been great to be a part of this with you.

after monday the rest will be up to DR and their testers.

thanks again!

ken
    drtbkr

by drtbkr » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:41 pm

Good deal everything came together. Excellent work getting the bike together. I'm anxious to see the DR spread.
    CRF450X6
    '98 XR440R

cheezeburger

by cheezeburger » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:50 am

Ken,

Thanks especially for the stage 1. I'm a fan of big bottom on a trail bike. You can never have too much torque.

"I like big butts and I cannot lie, you otha brothas can't deny"
    Cheezeburger

I'm whats left, I'm whats right
    I'm the enemy - So who are you?
    Ernie Pezz

by Ernie Pezz » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:12 pm

Ken, Sounds like the bike is going to be a big hit with the DR guys! I'm anxious to see what they have to say. Is the meeting at Lake Isabella going to be private? That would be cool if some of the guys here were able to check it out. Ernie
    Last edited by Ernie Pezz on Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    My Garage:
    http://www.crfsonly.com/forum/garage.ph ... cle&CID=29

Small enough cry babies?
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:53 pm

they didn't say anything to me about private. however, if you do go and plan to ride bring a green sticker bike that is 96db or less.

i'm heading out now...so look for a white ford truck with the sweetest looking 450x you've ever seen in the back.

ken