100%
    Dual Sport
    No votes

Total votes: 39
    crfsonly
    Owner

What type of CRF450X?

by crfsonly » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:23 pm

Congrats we have a clear winner in the bike we'll build and deliever to Dirt Rider. The CRF450X is an awesome bike and has the largest following on CRF's Only message boards. It's likely no surprise this will be the entry from our group. The CRF450X is primarily used for off-road and trail riding. However, it doesn't have to be so. This thread is to determine what type of CRF450X we'll be targeting for this build.

Please vote on what kind of CRF450X you think would represent our message board members expertise the best.

This poll will be up less than 24 hours and then we'll move on to spec'ing out the build.

Bring it on!
    Zanardi4

by Zanardi4 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:28 pm

I vote for a 450x in desert trim! :)

Z4
    Joe V. - Simi Valley, CA
    optaylor

by optaylor » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:53 pm

Again I will state my affinity for the X's versatility. Although I think that the bike would be a formidable challenge in any dress I have to agree that we give the Off Road start the superstar treatment. Lets take what the designers at Honda created and turn it into the bike that all would love to have on the trail. Ken thanks for taking on all of us garage wrench nuts to create a machine that will represent the CRF’S ONLY site. What ever the final outcome, I am sure we will all do our best to make a good showing!!!!

OP
    If all life is a stage, you would think someone would pick up the mic cords . They are a tripping hazard!
    drtbkr

by drtbkr » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:19 pm

Yup, the 450X gets my vote, and this is one cool idea !
    This is 'our' bike, and I think it should reflect at least a lot of what our best sellers are.
    1. JD jet kit. They'll finally have to review it.
    2.Airbox mods, probably just the sides.
    3.Smog block-off kit.
    4.Rekluse
    5.Crfsonly fuel screw
    6.Rekluse with perch adjuster
    7.Scotts damper
    8. Our best selling triple clamp.
    9.ProTapers
    10.Cycra Probends
    11.Lynx or AceWell from Leo
    12.Works Elite Perch (works great with perch adjuster.)
    13.756's.
    14.All the TM Designworks bling, in red, with T-ring gold chain.
    15. All the Zip-Ty wheel spacers/axle adjust blocks, and Flatland odo spacer
    16. Unabikers
    17.Works skid plate
    18.Every piece of Works and Applied bling/protective goodies
    19. Hammerhead shifter and tip
    20.TwinAirPowerFlow system
    21.IMS 3.2 tank
    22.Applied crankcase ventilation kit
    23.Our best selling footpegs
    24.Assemblers choice of bitchin' wheels and hubs or hub treatment
    25.Crfsonly graphics
    Now, I'm sure some places will be going nuts with internal engine mods,but I'll bet you that points can be made for just a stock engine, with squared away jetting and get this, stock exhaust. Everyone is going to go crazy with big bore kits,cams,etc., but the noise thing they'll be making a big deal of. The bike is never dinged in comparison tests becaise of power, so maybe a stock exhaust with insert with dialed intake and jetting would blow them away ? It would definetly draw attention to itself by being the quietest bike, yet would still rip.
    It would also draw attention to the fact that no, the bike isn't 'spot-on" whatsoever with the stock intake and jetting, and that no, they haven't scratched the surface if the stock bikes potential. Just a thought.
    This is going to be fun ! Doug

I second the motion. I believe this is an off-roader's "midnight water crossing" (if you know what I mean) right out of the crate (after jetting, of course). I would keep the crossbar'd Renthals inthat it increases the area to mount off-road friendly gadgets. Another way that Honda has stepped up to the plate and gotten rid of the Velveeta steel bars of yore. What about a GPS wired into the bike to provide an uninterrupted power supply? Mounted with a Touratech GPS Mount by CycoActive? Maybe some RaceTech works suspension? I also agree to keep the stock muffler and insert. It functions better than most aftermarket cans by having an audible-less report (refreshing to most; soon to be a requirement for all), not to mention being 'packing-free'. I also would like to see some anodized Red rims with some Black Talon hubs. I think that would look sweet with a lot of "Doug-esk Bling-age" (I think I just caught a phrase!). We need to get some feedback on trials tires. Start a wave! =P~
    CRF450X6
    '98 XR440R

• JoePezz

by JoePezz » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:31 pm

You can't have a CRF450X and build it up for motocross or Supermoto. The CRF450R is much better suited for those two, and frankly it can have those areas of the sport.

I voted for Trail/Off-Road trim. That is the 450X's element. That's what it was designed for, and to try to make it into something its not I think defeats the purpose.

So, Cheers to the sickest Off-Road/Trail 450X in the making.
    RottenRob

by RottenRob » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:36 pm

Off-road/Trail

We are very lucky, some of the other sites will not have a virtually unanimous consensus on their bike choice and use. Ever hear the story of David and Goliath :)
    Life's tough, but it is even tougher when you're stupid.
  • JoePezz

by JoePezz » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:44 pm

Oh, and on a side note, I think white plastics would set this thing off.
  • fat_boy_on_crf450x

by fat_boy_on_crf450x » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:06 pm

I think Doug has outlined the mods list very well. I also like the idea that the JD Kit may now get its day in the sun. I very much agree with Doug that we shouldn't rely on any engine mods (cams, etc.). Let's show how this motor can be awakened by basically opening the airbox and installing a JD kit (along with a TwinAir Powerflow and pink wire mod). I think the pipe should be left stock for noise reasons and also to accentuate the benefit of the JD kit and airbox mods. If the pipe is changed, it may be given credit for the new-found response of the motor instead of the airbox and jetting mods. Obviously, if we stick to the off-road configuration, we need to keep the smog pump in place to preserve the green sticker for this California bike, so we won't be able to completely eliminate the decel popping.
    Scenes from KM1
    uniped

by uniped » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:32 pm

I also agree that engine mods are not what we should concentrate on other than those wic wil awaken the beast. Power now, Accelerator pump Things of that nature. Suspension, more efficient "air pump" if you will. weight reduction would be nice, Brakes rekluse mostly what Doug had listed Ken if you could add a DRC tail light with brake light option it may be subtle but nice for dusty or near dark contions. Can we do a poll for color Red(stock), White, or Black, am aftermarket seat, IMS 3.2. Scotts dampner Applied triples I like the Acerbis Guards myself but definately hand guards And maybe a GPS. With that new LYNX enduro/Speedo unit. and we gotta make her BLIG it is almost a CRFsOnly trademark at this point.

Ken if you would let me know about that TRC HUb I will go over there myself and see if he can get the stuff to you in a timely manner as I am in Lodi. His shop is literally 10 minutes from me.

Thanks guys this is gonna be a great experiance.

Scott
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:39 pm

uniped...good suggestions. we'll get to them and nail down all the details over the weekend. there will be multiple polls/threads to come up with all the specifics on the mods.

i have already talked with TRC and they are in should the group specify anything that they can help us with.

ken
    Last edited by crfsonly on Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    RottenRob

by RottenRob » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:01 pm

we need to keep the smog pump in place to preserve the green sticker for this California bike

The smog pump is extra weight in addition to the annoying decel pop it creates. DMV does not require you to get it certified or tested to get a green sticker, if it is sold new as a green stickered bike it will remain that way.

If the pipe is changed, it may be given credit for the new-found response of the motor instead of the airbox and jetting mods.
    You guys are killing me with this keep the stock pipe thing, please someone talk some sense into the stockers, write a nice compelling piece on changing the pipe to convince the stockers of their misguided HEAVY thinking.
    Life's tough, but it is even tougher when you're stupid.
  • Smash

by Smash » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:15 pm

I'm up for the offroad thing. I'm with Rob, let's throw on the pipe and show them the power this thing can make with all the mods, not just a few.
    Ernie Pezz

by Ernie Pezz » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:20 am

I'm in for the off road/trail config. Come on guys let's let it all hang out! Ernie
    My Garage:
    http://www.crfsonly.com/forum/garage.ph ... cle&CID=29

Small enough cry babies?
  • Showtime

by Showtime » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:56 am

Hey all,

Not a frequent poster, but read them all the time. I must say this is my two cents but, I think we could easily crank out a way spendy ride, with ALL the goodies. For me, I would rather see what 2000-3000 bucks will get me. With a wife and two daughters, I do not have the cash to put out for tons and tons of mods. I know I may sound like the party pooper, but I do not think I am alone in the "short funds" department. I am no master mechanic, but I think you could put enough money into just about any bike and make it do what you want. So, I guess my point is, what does it really take to take this bike from good to great? Although, I could be missing the point of this project altogether. :?

Anyway, will be watching with interest.

Cliff
    05 CRF450X

Rekluse w/perch adj
    BRP Triple Clamps 22m
    JD Kit
    Open Air Box
    Boysen Quickshot
    Acewell Speedometer
    TourTech GPS mount
    Scotts rear shark fin
    Works Connection skid plate, radiator braces.
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:32 am

Yeah, if there's a way to do it, for the smog pump to die, we should kill it .
    Everyone makes some great points there, real good.
    Dirt Rider is forever over reacting to perceived enviornmental " issues", and the only one they're right about is noise and proper use of the land we have. No amount of absurd emissions devices and concern over the miniscule contribution of motorcycles to pollution is going to matter a bit over our land use.
    The other states dont have air pumps on their bikes for Gods sake, and it must be noted this is the same idiocy in government state who outlawed charcoal grills !
    To feel some misguided resposibility to keep off-road bikes choking to death while wait, it's "closed course" so it's okay for them not to be restricted with all this b.s. exposes the phoniness of it all.
    If motorcycles with their miniscule contribution to atmospheric pollution were a real problem then "closed course" or not shouldn't matter, should it ? Or , do the evil exhaust gases somehow remain "closed course", never migrating outside the gates?
    Nope, good stewartship is REASONABLE noise control,and resposible behavior by the users of the land, but it ends there.
    Everthing else is a bunch of feel good bullpucky. If anyone thinks keeping an air pump on a freakin' motorcycle is anything but a futile effort to placate those who hate anything with an engine is living in a dream world,
    Doug
Locked 25 posts