Skinny youngster wants to get in shape
  • Simon SBP

Skinny youngster wants to get in shape

by Simon SBP » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:52 am

Hello everyone, I'm fairly new here, but I need some help.
    I'm 17 years old. I weight around 60kg and I'm 188cm tall. (skinny)
    Since I like riding enduro I noticed that while I was off the bike after a winter break, I got really tired after a first few laps around the track.
    Straight to the point: I wanted to ask you should I be doing cardio, or should I weight train and get some mass/muscles and only after that do cardio training?
    Since I'm skinny and my main goal is to be fit that I could improve my riding and have better endurance. Maybe even in the near future I would attend a cross country race that I would like to finish without any problems :)
    I hope you did not have a hard time understanding my bad English, It is not my native language :P
    Fear is the only limit you can set yourself. :)
    Kauno Jawos /enduro crew!
    Join us on facebook.com/kaunojawos :)
    CRF 250 07
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:49 am

Providing you are eating properly, I do not think you should worry too much about gaining weight as you will likely add that naturally over the next few years. If you are not gaining at all, or what you are gaining is not lean muscle, the amount of protein you consume on a daily basis could be holding your back. Recommendations vary, but a common recommended amount for an active male is to consume 1.2–1.4 grams of protein per kg of lean muscle mass to 'maintain' your weight. Adding more protein, again providing you remain active, will add to your muscle mass. Higher protein levels with low activity will create fat. Be sure to cut out as many bad calories as you can as well. If you decide to take a protein supplement as a means to up your protein, try to stick with a high quality 'whey protein isolate' as it is the easiest to digest/absorb. Consume it right after you workout/ride.

Cardio, core, and leg strength are very important for riding. For someone that is not fit, cardio comes before strength training. You are young enough that you should be doing both. A big chest, arms, and shoulders tend to cause people to ride tight, so don't try to 'get big.' If you have not already done so, take up road or mountain biking as your primary endurance exercise as it will condition your arms, legs, shoulders, and back at the same time. Strength training should be high count, fast reps, primarily with bands or non-traditional weights (medicine balls, kettle weights) instead of benching - not to say you should not use traditional weights at all, but they are less important. Routines that incorporate body balls, medicine balls, bands and kettle weights can be found online. You can also find training routines that pros use.

However you decide to proceed, be sure to give your body sufficient time to recover. Keep your 'all-out' workout/riding sessions to 1-2 per week, with no more than 2 days in a row of vigorous training before you take it down a notch or two. While building your endurance, be sure to not rest for more than 3 days in a row, with 2 being a good target. Once you are feeling good you should be able to train for 5 days a week.

Good luck, and keep in mind this stuff does not turn around overnight.
    Official Lurker

• treeruns

by treeruns » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:04 am

Creatine is a great boost for young folks to gain weight. You'll have to cycle off after 6 weeks. Look for creatine powder with real suger in it. Check out bodybuilding.Com for core and leg specific work out. I have a background in exercise scince and train year round for riding both bikes and snowboard. Some people can't gain weight with out the supplement use. If you can gain 2 to 3 kg of muscle per year, you are on a right track. It's a life style not a temp solution. You'll thank yourself in your 40s.