Helmet Awareness saves lifes and brains!
    socalnathan

Helmet Awareness saves lifes and brains!

by socalnathan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:45 pm

I am starting this thread to promote the importance of always strapping on your helmet. This thread is dedicated to Steve Rosenfeld aka Steakcrf77 who is currently in ICU with major head trauma from a simple test run on his street after replacing his rear brake on his moto. He is lucky to be alive . He has a long road to recovery but we are all praying for a full recovery. I encourage all to read and follow his story right here on this forum. here is the link to that thread.

http://www.crfsonly.com/forum/viewtopic ... highlight=

I want everyone who reads this thread to please share a helmet story you have to help raise awareness to people who may not have a story of there own yet. Also please write a small pledge that you will NEVER ride your bike without strapping your helmet on first. NO IFS ANDS OR BUTS!!!

If you do not have a helmet story to share please read the others people have posted and let them serve as a reminder to you to always strap up. Then also ad a pledge yourself.

Thanks to all for the support and please Strap up, be safe, and spread the word. I hope this thread blows up with hundreds of pledges!
    socalnathan

by socalnathan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:48 pm

I Nathan Sells pledge to never again ride my moto without my helmet on and fully strapped. Even if it is down my driveway. There is no excuse , period! I welcome anyone who knows me to kick the crap out of me if I am ever seen not following the pledge in any way.

This pledge and this thread is dedicated to Steakcrf77! Get well and get home to your wife and unborn child soon! Love ya buddy.
    Nate Dogg signing off!

usmc88fan

by usmc88fan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:54 pm

I Chris Blackmore pledge to never again ride either my dirt bike or my street bike without my helmet on and properly strapped. Regardless of how far I am going, or what the helmet laws are where I am. There is no excuse!!!!! If I have a brainfart, and someone catches me, PLEASE...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD....KICK MY BUTT!!!! I also pledge to do all I can to convey to others the importance of wearing your helmet, and wearing it properly.
    We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?
    socalnathan

by socalnathan » Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:56 pm

NO ONE IS TO "COOL" FOR A HELMET! Trust me.
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:13 pm

I Ken pledge to never again ride any motor driven cycle without my helmet on and fully strapped. Even if it is down my driveway. There is no excuse, period!

Ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by Four-Fifty-X » Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:50 pm

I'm in.

I was working on my son's bike this weekend and for the first time ever, I put a helmet on to go down the caul de sac.

I'll never ride an inch again without my lid.
    walkmnn

by walkmnn » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:22 pm

I pledge to always wear my helmet and always have my son wear his on his motorcycle, bicycle, Razor scooter and skateboard.

I have two helmet stories about two friends of mine sons Matt Reedy and Beau Harman. It has nothing to do with motorcycles but it is a helmet story. Matt was snowboarding in Mammoth and not wearing a helmet. He fell and hit his head. He had severe head trauma and died from his injuries, he was 17 years old. Beau Harman was 15 years old at the time. He was riding his skateboard with friends for a few hours with his helmet on. Once they were done skateboarding he took of his helmet for a break. He strapped it on the back of his backpack and started to ride his board home. He was traveling down a hill and his board hit a rock and fell right on his head. He spent 2 weeks in a medically induced comma due to brain swelling and four weeks in the hospital. His parents documented and took photos of him in the hospital hooked up to all the machines. After 6 months they slowly brought him out of it. He has recovered fully and he went on a speaking tour to all the local schools showing the photos and telling his stories.

Parents, with all the tricks kids are doing on skateboards, bicycles and scooters - Please have your children wear their helmets.

Bo Harman

Walkmnn
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:27 am

Mike Aitken, local Utah guy and renowned freestyle BMX rider, crashed in PA back in 2008. He was not wearing a helmet yet from what I recall he was sponsored by one of the helmet manufacturers at the time. He suffered traumatic brain injuries as a result of the crash. He was not insured and medical bills quickly got out of control. He left the hospital, probably too early, and returned to UT. He came out to one of the local tracks about 6 months after his accident to thank us for the donations. Suffice to say he was not the same guy. Mike has significantly improved since the visit to the track. The last time I ran into him was in the summer. You could see in his eyes that he was much better than 2 years ago, but still different. I can only imagine how much the accident has impacted his family and career. He is blessed to have recovered as well as he did.

My son is not allowed near anything that has wheels without first strapping on a helmet. Street and track crashes have proven the position to be the correct one. Even with the helmet rule in place we have still made trips to the ER for CT scans after some bad hits. Good news is helmets work.

When I was a kid I wore my helmet "most of the time." I was wearing it on the day that I had my worst crash ever. The helmet crushed my collar bone, but my head was unharmed. I am convinced the reverse would have been true without the helmet.

Admittedly, over the past couple of years I have not played by the same helmet rules that my son must follow. It is sad that it takes incidents such as Steve's to pull me back to reality. If the bike is rolling, the bucket must be on.
    Official Lurker

socalnathan

by socalnathan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:25 pm

riddler9 wrote:Admittedly, over the past couple of years I have not played by the same helmet rules that my son must follow. It is sad that it takes incidents such as Steve's to pull me back to reality. If the bike is rolling, the bucket must be on.

It is sad that it takes a incident like Steve's to remind us but it is also a blessing that it reminds us so that we do remember how important it is. Everything happens for a reason. Im sure Steve will just be glad to know how many people he has helped impact through this.
    Nate Dogg signing off!

• Old Dude

by Old Dude » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:56 pm

I'm reading this in the Infirmary of Wood West an extreme sports camp (BMX ramps, street and dirt jump stuff), skateboarding, inline skate and MTB, where my wife and I are working as Camp Nurses. We are both experienced trauma ER RNs.
    A couple of years back we had an incident here involving a 10 y/o skateboarder who had a rather minor spill. He hit his head. He was unconscious and posturing (a sign of possible brain injury) He was life flighted to a nearby trauma center. Inspite of the scarry initial symptoms he was released within 48hrs and given a clean bill of health. He returned to the camp with his parents to thank those who helped at the scene. He had no recollection of the incident. It was an emotional event. Too close to a tragedy for my comfort.
    The Mike Aiken incident a true, possibly preventable, tragedy for sure but here at the camp the visiting Pros are not required to wear helmets; period! BMX campers need only wear a helmet when actually riding a park (Ramps, jumps, dirt jumps etc) skaters on the other hand are required to wear them any time they are on their boards or skates. The Pros, I must say, are very accommodating and wear helmets at all times when with campers and encourage their use by all. I cannot, however, attest to their wearing them in after hours sessions. Maybe the Aiken tragedy is having some influence on the extreme sports community.
    My son, seemingly wise beyond his youth, virtually never rides his BMX bike without first putting on a helmet. I on the other hand, ride my cruiser all over this camp without a helmet. Never have worn one! Lord knows why cause I literally never ride my road bike without strapping up.
    What's my long drawn out point? We all have or have heard stories like Steve's and these others. Minor spills, even with a helmet, can result in serious injury. Many, very informed, skilled people, choose to run the risk of riding without the protection of a helmet. We need to wake up and speak up.
    I will speak to the camp director, share your stories and see if we can bring some consistency to this high profile camp's policy. I will share these stories with my son and encourage him to be ever more diligent in wearing his helmet every time he gets on his bike and further that he be an example and advocate to those with whom he rides.
    I will keep Steve and his family in my prayers. Further, I will offer up prayer for the medical staff charged with his care that they may be instruments of the Great Physicians healing.
    I pledge to you and my family that I will never ride my road bike, BMX bike, or Dirt bike, regardless of distance or purpose, without first putting on a helmet. Old Dude
    (hoping to become the Even Older Dude)
    '06 250X: http://crfsonly.com/forum/garage.php?mo ... le&CID=386
    '03 CRF230
    '04 CRF230
    '08 750 Shadow Spirit
    '01 Polaris Sportsman 600
    '03 CRF50
    '04 KLX110
    Kazuma Falcon90
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:01 pm

Heres something that though can start out unpleasantly can save someones life and /or ability to live a full one.
    Each and every soul on this site has heard the following :
    1." A friend/relative/somebody I know or their family was told by the Paramedic/Doctor/Nurse/cop it was a good thing they didnt have a helmet on or they would have been killed/suffered brain damage".
    This is a lie. It needs confronted, especially so if spewed in the presence of impressionable people. Like kids, for instance .
    The same tired ...and false...story has been around for years regarding short fiction seatbelt stories.

2."There's been studies that showed wearing helmets actually cause more injuries".
    Lie. There certainly have not. One flake in particular represented hinself for years in ABATE drivel as an M.D. when in fact he wasn't even a high school graduate.
    Recently at a military event a single celled organism was describing the brain injury his own spouse as a passenger he was responsible for suffered in a low speed, cranium vs. asphalt no helmet get-off. The poor simian began to lecture all in earshot of how a helmet would have caused her injury to be much more severe.
    Sometimes in those moments I will think of those blessed communicators such as Ken and AS who can remain calm and collected no matter what.
    I often fail. In that case.. :oops:
    I also loathe the 'it's my choice' crowd.
    Well. Then Their choice has us all paying more for insurance.
    Their choice influences people who may split their skull open down the road because hey, "Uncle Johnny rode for years with no helmet" and he may well have.
    So Suzie with her 883 Sportster dies in her first week on the road, or Johnny Jr. crushes his skull riding his XR100 in the yard.
    Their choice, indeed. Doug
    bambamsc

by bambamsc » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:02 pm

I am 100% in. My 13yr old son, 100% in. The future F'er our family has on the way in the coming weeks is also in. I will admit that I too have made this mistake before because it was "just down the street" or it's "only the little crf 80". No more. Ever!
    Roady

by Roady » Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:42 pm

I take the pledge. I never "ride" without one, but admit to a quick romp up the cul-de-sac to test this or that ... not usually, but I have on occasion. Never again.

My prayers continue as well for a full recovery.
    It is a good day to ride
    '05 CRF 450X / '07 300X(C-w) / '08 690R Enduro
    socalnathan

by socalnathan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:29 am

ATTN! The brand new "get well steve" wrist bands are now here! They have written on them "GET WELL STEVE" his nick name "steak" and "Isaiah 58:8" They are $2.50 a peice and they are blue, steve favorite color. All proceeds go to Get Well Steve Fund. What a great reminder they are to pray and keep him in our thoughts.

If you would like to purchase them please contact Steves sister Kerri Rosenfeld at klrosenfeld@yahoo.com. They are $2.50 a piece and if you are not local to Santa Clarita to pick them up please add $0.50 to cover postage. I would love to see people buy these in bulk and sell or give them to friends and family as a reminder to keep Steak in our thoughts and prayers. But its cool to buy just one also! lol
    Nate Dogg signing off!

socalnathan

by socalnathan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:45 pm

Steve needs everyones help!

I just want to say thank you for everyones continued support for Steve and his family.

Truth is they need more, and a lot more. So we are going big. We are asking that everyone please write into our local news station Fox 11 and beg them to air a short news spot for Steve to hopefully get some donations flowing from all over. Our small community has been great and giving what they can but they need more and this might be a great way. There is a lot of story's for them to cover so Im not sure it will make it but if we get everyone to write in begging and telling them why they should air Steves story I think it could work and not only help Steve and his family but help the awareness for helmet safety. please send a short email to Fox and title it Get Well Steve. here is the email.

news@fox11.com

It would only take a couple minutes out of your day. Thanks guys and girls!
    Nate Dogg signing off!