riding after Surgery for spinal stenosis
  • rawly

riding after Surgery for spinal stenosis

by rawly » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:16 pm

The neurosurgeon wants to do laminoplasty(cut& shim the vertebrae) surgery for my severe cervical spinal stenosis.He said that I stand a high probability of becoming paralyzed if I don't get the surgery.I am 47 and have been abusing my body for many of those years.What do you think of this surgery Dr. Mark?Have any of you guys had this surgery.I would like to continue riding in the future.I have seen 2 neurosurgeons,but haven't seen an orthopedic spine surgeon yet.
    Thanks in advance Steve Rawlinson
  • sportster

by sportster » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:22 pm

Last March, I had a cervical fusion, C-5 to T-1. Also, had those disks replaced. Been abused for 44 years. Haven't ridden all year. Doc says I can ride next year. Come on April! Doc said that my surgery was perfectamundo, and that I am his "Poster Child"!!!! I feel great. I have feeling in my neck, back, and right arm now. Mostly just my surface nerves were numb. Really didn't realize I was having problems. Took 5 years to figure it out.
  • rawly

by rawly » Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:06 pm

Had the surgery.All seems to have gone well.I'll give a long term follow up down the road.
  • sportster

by sportster » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:13 am

Glad to hear all went well! Hope you are feeling well also.
  • rawly

by rawly » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:51 pm

5 weeks post surgery-The pain is almost gone,the symptons have been cured(electrical shocks through my body when I tipped my head,numbness and loss of dexterity in hand).And I can finally drive my car.Can't wait to get out to the desert to watch my kids and my friends ride.
    euromike_85

by euromike_85 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:54 am

Ive been following this thread and am very pleased to hear your doing well. my little bit if advice would however be to not RUSH anything, slowly strengthen your back as well as your abdomen to improve your core strength and that should alleviate some of the stress in your spinal column. keep fit and always consult your doctor for him to give you the green light on when to ride and you will be rewarded with many more years of riding
    2004 CRF250R
  • 357Warrior

by 357Warrior » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:51 pm

I'm glad you're doing well, I can see surgery in the future for me. My body starting to go numb, specially my arms and hands. My Dr. told me to wait until I can't handle it anymore, not sure what to do.

Keep us posted!
    euromike_85

by euromike_85 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:16 pm

357Warrior wrote:I'm glad you're doing well, I can see surgery in the future for me. My body starting to go numb, specially my arms and hands. My Dr. told me to wait until I can't handle it anymore, not sure what to do.

Keep us posted!

get a second opinion!
    2004 CRF250R
  • rawly

by rawly » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:07 pm

357Warrior wrote:I'm glad you're doing well, I can see surgery in the future for me. My body starting to go numb, specially my arms and hands. My Dr. told me to wait until I can't handle it anymore, not sure what to do.

Keep us posted!

Did you get an MRI yet?You could be a strong candidate for paralysis if your vertebrae are squeezing on your spinal chord.Good luck with your situation.
  • rawly

by rawly » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:07 pm

Got rear ended in my car last month,so rather than riding this new year weekend,I'm wrenching on the kids bikes.The doctor told me to stay off the bike for at least a year,and I listened to him.Got back on my waterski at 8 months though,didn't tell him!Pre opperation symtoms came back at a lesser level after the accident,and made me realize I'm not ready for a big crash yet.Miss the sights,smells,and people at the desert.Hopefully I'll be riding in a few months.
  • 357Warrior

by 357Warrior » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:24 pm

When it rains it poars!
    Glad you're getting better Rawly. Not worth taking the risk so take it easy 'till you're sure you can.

Happy New Year!
  • rawly

by rawly » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:37 pm

The cool part of my accident was that one of the Simi Valley firemen to respond was a 450x rider,a member of CRF's only,and also has Paul and . over at ~ take care of his bike.He asked if I felt OK,I said I hurt a bit,but was bummed out that my 1 year anniversary for my surgery was that week,but because of the accident I'd have to stay off my dirt bike a bit longer.WE ended up talking about riding.I forget his name,but his CRF name has a 5 in it.M5,X5,or something like that.Thanks for the help.