Getting in shape
    RyanH

Getting in shape

by RyanH » Fri Dec 07, 2007 7:22 am

Hey im 5'9, 240lbs .. I want to get back in shape to be able to race. Does anyone recommend a fast (good) workout that they used in the past?
    Riding a CRF250X
  • Rhoghead

by Rhoghead » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:43 am

Cardio, cardio, ride, cardio, cardio........... :twisted:

WEN N DOUBT, GAS IT.....
  • CRF916

by CRF916 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:04 am

Meth seems to be the most popular way these days. I would just knock off the fast food and SODA and take it easy on the dark beers (take shots) :D Eat right and less of it, and stick to protein like chicken, eggs, veggies ect. If you follow my advise you should lose a pound or two. :)
    0'6 CRF450XXX

braap207

by braap207 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:01 pm

:D Getting in shape to race is no easy feat, if your truley dedicated to get in shape being able to race is a good motivator, I'm a personal trainer on the side and would wish more people would get the bug to get in shape for any reason. But if your ready i would start with sitting down and writing down when you can get to the gym and how long, then go online and find a workout for you. There are thousands of free ones out there. If you are new to working out in the gym take it easy the first few weeks your ligaments don't grow as fast as muscles and need time to get adjusted. Start with light weights with 12-15 reps. Cardio should also be started at a slower pace unless you are ready, if you are new to the gym the treadmill walking is a great start. Once you feel like its time to move up to something more challenging start jogging or stairclimber, cardio is very important but muscle endurance is also very important, you need a good balance of each. But you will get no where unless you willing to change your diet, if you trying to shed a few pounds and build muscle at the same time a good healthy diet is key. I would start eatting 5-7 meals a day with lots of fruits and Vegis and chicken! If your really ready to get down to business and rock the throttle drop me an E-mail and I'll help you out for free junglebiotch1@hotmail.com :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    I don't ride dirty I ride canadian...
    05/06 NDMA MX Am State Champ

Your Mom goes to college is currently serving in Iraq
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:27 pm

I agree on the healthy diet,and not eating after a reasonable time in the evening.If you work enough though you can eat whatever you want, it depends how much you're willing to work. Diet fads come and go.
    It is a stone fact that the majority of serious diseases such as heart disease and cancer are more genetically related than any other factor.
    But no matter what the latest rage and BS is,there is no getting into shape without sweating because you're working ,and lots of it,and every day.It's not the sweating, it's the working,the exertion.
    Over in Iraq we with 3 MRE's a day we took in about 3500 plus calories-that's a ton.
    We all lost weight,lots of it, and the bigger we were the more we lost.
    So exercise. Go for long walks at a good clip, you don't need a health club memberships with spandex clad fitness flakes in your face, do push-ups and sit-ups on your living room floor.
    I'm not in the best shape of my life but I'm still on Active Duty. I'm 6'5", 258 lbs. but my body fat is only 18%-pretty darn good for 51,and I've even had a heart attack ! I do 3-5 mile walks three times a week, push-ups and sit-ups every day.
    So there's a lot of theories, but if they don't start by sweating due to exertion you're missing out. Igf you're sitting in your living room, fat and bumed about it, and you don't get down there and start gutting them out you're getting just what you deserve-which is no results :lol: Doug
    braap207

by braap207 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:01 pm

:D Those MRE's gotta love them, thought they were 2 thousand each? Mmmmmmm, can't say I've had one recently they are taking much better care of us these days and i'm not at a FOB so I guess you can say I've got it made :shock: Your right though you gotta just get out there and do it! I'm in the other Operation, the enduring freedom over here in afgan but its all the same! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
    I don't ride dirty I ride canadian...
    05/06 NDMA MX Am State Champ

Your Mom goes to college is currently serving in Iraq
  • dobent4@yahoo.com

by dobent4@yahoo.com » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:43 am

You're right about the 2000 calories per MRE too,the 3500 was an estimate of what we'd eat every day out of them....can you imagine eating 3 of those things every day, all of them :shock: ?
    I would've gotten fatter anyway :oops:
    Be careful and I hope the times going by fast for you,and I hope your time in the mountains this winter is none or rare ! Doug
  • Hale701

by Hale701 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:45 am

Eat rite, drink water and some gatorade, min. 30 min of cardio a day, and a good strenth training program. When I was active duty MC, we would do the basic PT. Run 3 miles, calastetics, then hit the gym. After the day was done, I would run 5 more miles then hit the bike for 45 min. Then jack a little more steel. Sounds a little much, but after a while you get use to it. I wasn't getting sore at all till I changed up my work out with the weights. Lots of water and lots of protein. May even try some other suplements, but food is the best to get your source of goods from. I would eat tuna straight out of the can. Eat cold food, that also helps with your moltabolism cause your body has to heat the food up to digest it. Low calories also, all that is is stored energy that you'll burn before fat. Gotta go theres all kinds of work outs out there. Everyone's body is different.
    KevinM

by KevinM » Fri Jan 11, 2008 12:12 pm

Not sure how old you are... but if you 35+ yrs old, start out slow. Especially if you haven't exercised in a while. If you're older than that, you might want to check with your doc.

I like to run because that's what I did when I was younger. Takes a toll on your legs though. Stationary or regular bike is pretty popular cardio workout and less pounding. Treadmills are what I used most these days. I find it easier to get on that and watch some TV or MX video or whatever. Eliminates weather as a factor and you don't have to go anywhere. But cost $$$ to buy one.

But like what was said above... you have to eat less as well as exercise. But also eat right or you'll probably get sick a lot. I know this from experience. Was 194 and 34 yrs old... no exercise to speak of for years. Went overboard with training and calorie reduction... developed shin splints.. iliotibial band issues from bike riding too much (painful), Plantar facitis from running too much (more painful)... had a cold every damn month.

Got down to 169 and ran some decent races. Comparable to my high school times. but I paid a high price. So take it easy at first. You'll enjoy it more.

There's good advice in the posts above... Make a plan and realistically allocate time to execrcise. 20 to 30 mins of cardio every other day would be a great start. But 15-20 is a good start too.

Fruit for breakfast...maybe oatmeal now and then. Easy on the bread. Too much makes us fat.

Something lite for lunch. Like a salad if you don't hate salads. Oil-Vinegar dressing better than creamy stuff.

Chicken (if you dig chicken) and a vegetable or two for dinner.

Put the bag of potato chips away....

Mix up your choices. Eating the same thing everyday also isn't good. And don't starve yourself. You won't have any energy to exercise.

Make a log of your workouts and what you eat and what your weigh. Weigh yourself at the same time every time you do it.

Don't get impatient. It takes time for you to see changes. But if you write it down (cheap runners logs at Barnes & Noble)... you'll be able to look back and see the progress. Really... having a log makes a difference.

Good luck. If you can remember to do it. Post you progress back here.

Last thought. If you're older.. do check with your doc. He may recommend a physical before you start pounding the pavement or whatever you'll do for cardio. Your hearts a muscle too. Don't piss it off.
    09 CRF 450R
    07 CRF 250R
    45 plt /175 main /JD Red-5th pos
    FS 2 trns
    05 CRF 250X
    42 Plt /162 Main /JD Red Needle- 5th pos
    CRFsOnly Fuel Screw 1-7/8 trns out (2 turns winter)
    TwinAir PowerFlo Kit /Opened Airbox /White Bros E2
  • cliff83835

Atheletic Replublic will whip you into shape.

by cliff83835 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:07 pm

Try an 8 week Athletic Replubic work out. If Dallas is close to you there is a Zoom Athletic Club that has the program. It has put over 500,000 athletes from the beginner all the way to the pro athlete/olympic athlete. It is fun workout and will totally revolutionize your body.
  • Peeps

by Peeps » Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:32 pm

Go to Crossfit.com, and do the workouts. They are fast and effective, and you will be in the best shape for any number of activities you might do. I've done it pretty religiously for a year and 1/2 and am in great shape for riding bikes, sleds, skiing etc. Do it for a month and then go ride. Trust me. (it still wont cure arm pump :)
    If you try the workouts however, ease into them. You may throw up!
    As far as nutrition I like the Zone diet. Basically moderation. Protein, Vegies, fruits, carbs, nuts and seeds. no sugar.
    When in doubt, gas it out
  • Jayce

by Jayce » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:37 pm

P90X
  • jt1872001

by jt1872001 » Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:27 pm

There is a motocross specific workout on fitrex.com
  • snortinhortin777

by snortinhortin777 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:20 pm

A really good way to get in all around good shape is Crossfit. If you visit their website they have the workout of the day posted up everyday and if you dont know the exercise they have videos that show you how. At first just try to complete the exercises that they give then once you get into better shape start for time. I have been going to the crossfit gym here in SD for awhile now and its great for motocross.
  • bbf501

Body for Life

by bbf501 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:15 pm

I've heard positive things about Crossfit. I have been doing Body for life. From 11/30/09 to mid-February I dropped 33lbs and 10% body fat. It's a combination of nutrition (you eat 6 times a day), cardio (3 20 minute high intensity workouts per week) and weight training 3 times per week. It's made a significant difference in my stamina, over fitness and health. I'm currently at 36 lbs total lost. They have a website and a book that is really good. This is the best overall "roadmap" I've used. Good luck..