Looking for my first CRF.
  • JoshLB7

Looking for my first CRF.

by JoshLB7 » Fri May 01, 2020 8:16 am

Hey everyone. Excited for this to be my first post so please don’t be too harsh on me :D . Now here’s my question(s). I’m looking into getting a CRF450R for trails. I know they’re not 100% made for trails however if i were to ever go to a track or something i feel like it’s just the best option for me. I have enough cash currently to buy any carbureted models really but am debating on saving up for fuel injection. So is it worth saving up for fuel injection? Do the early FI bikes have issues? And since this will be my first true bike (i have a CR500 but don’t ride it much, was my fathers), should I possibly look into 250’s since i don’t have much experience, or will they feel too low on power?
  • Leardriver

Re: Looking for my first CRF.

by Leardriver » Fri May 01, 2020 2:13 pm

Fuel injection is amazing. I would set my sights on one of those. They aren't that much more money now that they have been out since 2009. I live at higher altitude where the consistent fuel metering really helps.
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Fri May 01, 2020 6:28 pm

Hi JoshLB7 and welcome to the site.
    Firstly, the CR500 is a real bike and a legend.
    Admittedly you can't be even slightly timid with them or they will bite you.
    great sound though.

Your weight and height will also play a part in whether you go the 250 or 450 route.

A lot of people start with a 250 and after a while want more so buy a 450.
    I have seen a number of people get 450 first off and have it beat them to death.
    So how much riding experience do you have? What have you ridden before?

Fuel injection is always nice and as far as difficult, well carburettors can be difficult on occasion too.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Fri May 01, 2020 8:01 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Like everyone else mentioned , 250 or 450 depends on a lot of factors , weight , skill , riding preferences .... As Ray mentioned , a 450 in the wrong hands can be dangerous , or at the very least , beat you to death , you will be struggling to hold on if you get too aggressive with them , whether a older one like my 02 or a 2020 (a 2020 450 will really wear you out , 60 HP is nothing to take lightly , for example a stock 02-08 450 has about 55 HP in stock form , trust me , 5HP difference is a LOT !)

Your weight as a factor , a 250 is set up suspension wise for a 130-150 lbs rider , a 450 is set up for a 150-180 lbs rider , it will beat up a lighter rider , and a 250 with stock suspension will beat up a heavy rider

Skill as a factor ..... if you are truly a beginner track rider , a 450 is going to get you into trouble fast , and the outcome won't be pretty , a hospital trip may be a huge factor ...... a 250 whether you are skilled or a novice can get you into trouble , but it is much more easy to wrangle around a track .... jumps can bite you no matter that bike you are on , and no matter how skilled or not you are .... I speak from experience :-~

Riding preference .... a 250 is going to be much easier to trail ride with , especially if you are not heavily experienced , a 450 again , can get you into trouble before you know you are in trouble .....

If you are a experienced trail and track rider and fit the weight category ... or have the funds to respring the bike for your weight (springs for weight , valving for skill) either a 250 or 450 will suit you fine .... you will get less tired on a 250 no matter what type of riding you will be doing , they weight about 20-30 lbs less than a 450 and are just easier to throw around , and at the end of the day , you will be much less tired on a 250 ..... The 450 will have power everywhere , sometimes where you don't want it .... you will spend more time in the first 1/2 of the throttle on a 450 than you ever will on the last 1/2 ..... a 250 you can gust give it more throttle till it runs out ........ how I compare 250/450 power comparisons is , a 250 is like riding a 450 in 3rd or 4th gear that is about the output feeling , a 450 is like riding a bull , but instead of just 8 seconds , your doing it for 15-30 minutes

More detail of what your skill , plans , and ability is would help a lot , your weight is also a factor , also , is trail going to be the major riding for a while ?? , or short term then moving to track ?? , or back and forth between the 2 and both right away ??? , if so how much actual track time and jumping experience do you have ?? (be honest , saying you are a B rider when you are a novice will get you hauled away on a stretcher real fast , your skill is your skill , it is nothing to be ashamed of , or over boast your skill about) , all this factors into what bike you would be more happy with ...........

If you can ride someone's bike (250 or 450) this will either tell you what you will be happy with , or scare you into riding the smaller of the 2

EFI , is much less temperamental when changing elevations , or after picking the bike up after a fall and trying to start it , but both my bikes have carbs and I can ride anywhere my friends with EFI bikes can .. it just takes a bit of tweaking on the knobs to do so ...
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat May 02, 2020 4:17 pm

My bike is a 230 which says a lot about my skill or lack of ride time or cash flow.
    Bit of everything really.
    That is why so many questions, otherwise you end up buying multiple bikes.
    Not that there is anything wrong with that.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas