'05 CRF450X DC Headlight Conversion
  • OneWound

'05 CRF450X DC Headlight Conversion

by OneWound » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:02 pm

Hi Y'all,

So I'm currently re-wiring my '05 CRF450X for a Baja Designs (BD) XL PRO (DC)headlight. Since this is a non-std installation, I'm figuring out I need some wiring help. Currently I have a re-wound stator & DC only RR from BD.

From what I can understand today, there are two ways to get power to the headlight. The first way is to tap into the DC output of the RR, which is in an always on state. From there, wire the headlight into a switch, therefore having the ability to switch the headlight on and off... The second option is to have the power on a relay, which is triggered by something.

I'd prefer to have the 2nd option, however there are 2 variables that I have no insight on. The first is to select a "good" relay that is made to be used in wires. The second is, what should be switching the relay? The same wires that switch on/off the taillight? Is there something better?

For those who have done something similar to this, am I missing anything?
  • Aussiecrf230

Re: '05 CRF450X DC Headlight Conversion

by Aussiecrf230 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:50 pm

Does the new stator just have a charging coil to charge the battery via a regulator or does it have a seperate lighting coil with its own rectification for the dc light.
    Is the light a LED or normal lamp?
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • OneWound

Re: '05 CRF450X DC Headlight Conversion

by OneWound » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:20 am

Does the new stator just have a charging coil to charge the battery via a regulator or does it have a seperate lighting coil with its own rectification for the dc light.
    Is the light a LED or normal lamp?
    It has a charging coil to the battery via the regulator. So the rewound stator uses the same two connectors that go to the ICM (I believe), with an additional connector (2 wires, + AC, - AC), that goes directly to the new RR. The light is a DC LED, approx 40W.