Hlebo bros suspension
  • The Salesman

Hlebo bros suspension

by The Salesman » Wed May 08, 2019 6:11 am

Ive read all over the place that I need to send my 05 crf 230f rear shock off to Hlebo Bros in California and the fella will rebuild it, revalve it and even update the spring.

I call the number listed but just get a generic voicemail.

Are these guys still open and doing this work?

Is there someone else I should send my shock off to?

Thanks in advance!
    JimDirt

Re: Hlebo bros suspension

by JimDirt » Wed May 08, 2019 8:18 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Finding someone who knows how to do a CRF230 shock is going to be a bit more difficult than a "normal" shock rebuilder , as it requires a different approach ....

According to Google , they are still open , it says you need to call for any appointment , but I did a Google search and it shows they are open right now , they also have a Facebook page , but I did not see anything really there as far as current info

Hlebo Bros Suspension
    Address: 456 Reynolds Cir, San Jose, CA 95112
    Hours:
    Open ⋅ Closes 5PM
    Phone: (408) 623-3121

You might also try these guys , as they are supposed to know the CRF230 suspension as well

https://sites.google.com/site/brucessuspension/
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • The Salesman

by The Salesman » Wed May 08, 2019 10:16 am

Thanks very much for your reply Jim!

Yes, I did some googling myself and saw the pages... all the phone numbers listed (From all my searches) are the same and when it goes to voicemail, it's the default cell-phone style message "The person at number xxx-xxx-xxxx is not available." for when you don't set up a custom voicemail greeting.

Another reason why I asked was because I read that Steve Hlebo (I believe it was John's brother?) was implicated in some kind of wrongful death/murder issue with a new guy that started working there showing up dead in a storeroom nextdoor to the shop like 4 days after starting. This was back in 2015/2016ish. Wasn't sure if the shop was still open as a result.

New employees turning up dead in the first week, usually isn't a good sign! :)

I'll give a call again and leave a voicemail. Just didn't want to put my name and number out there if it wasn't an active company any more.

If I can't reach Hlebo, I'll give Bruce's a try. They're closer. I just read SO many positive things about John Hlebo's work with the CRF230F shock and how he rebuilds and re-valves it for your riding, replaces the spring to match your weight (I'm a bigger guy so updating the old spring would be a big bonus) among other things.... And the prices reported (Back around the late 00's) were VERY doable. I just don't want to order an OE replacement and be stuck with another non-rebuildable shock with a lighter-than-I-should-have spring.

Thanks again sir!
  • The Salesman

by The Salesman » Wed May 08, 2019 10:19 am

Thanks very much for your reply Jim!

Yes, I did some googling myself and saw the pages... all the phone numbers listed (From all my searches) are the same and it goes to voicemail right away - no ringing. Then it's the default cell-phone style message "The person at number xxx-xxx-xxxx is not available." for when you don't set up a custom voicemail greeting.

Another reason why I asked was because I read that Steve Hlebo (I believe it was John's brother?) was implicated in some kind of wrongful death/murder issue with a new guy that started working there showing up dead in a storeroom nextdoor to the shop like 4 days after starting. This was back in 2015/2016ish. Wasn't sure if the shop was still open as a result.

New employees turning up dead in the first week, usually isn't a good sign! :)

I'll give a call again and leave a voicemail. Just didn't want to put my name and number out there if it wasn't an active company any more.

If I can't reach Hlebo, I'll give Bruce's a try. They're closer. I just read SO many positive things about John Hlebo's work with the CRF230F shock and how he rebuilds and re-valves it for your riding, replaces the spring to match your weight (I'm a bigger guy so updating the old spring would be a big bonus) among other things.... And the prices reported (Back around the late 00's) were VERY doable. I just don't want to order an OE replacement and be stuck with another non-rebuildable shock with a lighter-than-I-should-have spring.

Thanks again sir!
  • The Salesman

by The Salesman » Wed May 08, 2019 11:04 am

Just got off the phone with Bruce's suspension.

WOW. Bruce is awesome. He spent 20 minutes explaining the shock set ups, how he can help and what my options are to breath new life into my old crf 230.

I'll definitely be sending my business to Bruce. He's an old fella that's been doing this since three weeks before the first bike was invented. VERY knowledgeable and VERY helpful. Just after this first phone call, I can 100% say I will be sending him my suspension business, and I would definitely recommend giving him a call if you have any questions or suspension needs. The guy is a wealth of knowledge!

Thank you for the recommendation, Jim!
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed May 08, 2019 1:03 pm

No problem , glad you took the time to call and talked to him and felt he was someone you can trust to get your suspension in order .... it should make a huge difference ...... Good Luck !! ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho