Sputtering with 2 bars of fuel
  • stephengmatthews

Sputtering with 2 bars of fuel

by stephengmatthews » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:13 am

My '18 CRF250L has developed an issue where accelerating/cruising the power sputters regularly. Under harsh acceleration, the nose dives and sends me forwards. Seems to only happen when I have two bars of fuel, and when I refuel to 50%, the issue goes away. Had this happen with three refuels. I have a 12.5L Acerbis tank with a sock filter sitting at the top to catch debris when refuelling.

I'm travelling long term with the bike, so don't have my own space to work on it. I'm limited in what I can do.

Any thoughts?
  • Back2-2

Re: Sputtering with 2 bars of fuel

by Back2-2 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:47 am

From what you describe you must have put the fuel level sensor back into the aftermarket fuel tank. So, it would be reasonable to assume that 2 bars left on your fuel gauge is telling you it's time to switch to reserve if you have a reserve and time to refuel.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • stephengmatthews

by stephengmatthews » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:00 am

Stock fuel level sensor is used inside aftermarket tank. Have done 8000+ miles with it. The last bar flashes when I'm nearly out of fuel but have two bars remaining, and I can see sufficient fuel through the clear tank. I have no reserve tank. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:23 am

If you think the sending unit is giving you false information - I would recommend removing the sending unit for inspection. Sending units are usually a slide contact pad or a magnet contact. The magnet contacts can break loose from the fuels eroding the glue point and the magnet goes rouge on ends up in the wrong places. The slide electrical contact style become corroded with fuel additive build up and the contact loose the electrical connection in the corrosion area.

If you feel the bike is running low on fuel before it should - then I would remove the fuel petcock valve assy, and inspect for build up of debris stopping sufficient fuel as the fuel level gets to that point. Could be as simple as a collapsed filter screen.

Check it out and see what is going on in there.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:00 pm

I have found the screens on the fuel taps can come out like they have been melted or part disolved, so definitely a possibilty. That was with a factory tap.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas
  • stephengmatthews

by stephengmatthews » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:49 am

I spoke to a mechanic who suggested fuel system cleaner. It worked!

My long term travel has taken me through Africa. I wonder if the quality of fuel is less and has caused a build up of something somewhere.

Thank you very much for the suggestions in the previous post. I really appreciate it!
  • stephengmatthews

by stephengmatthews » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:24 am

Adding fuel system cleaner to the fuel seemed to work, as per my previous post. However, sometime after, it became really bad as the engine started cutting out every few metres in Benin. I found a hotel and inspected the fuel tank. It was dirty inside, which I suspect is from very fine dust in the Sahel region of Africa. I cleaned the fuel tank, fuel filter, fuel pump, and injector. Now, after 3 tanks of fuel, I'm confident in saying this has finally resolved the issue. I've blogged more detail and the saga at http://bikingoveryonder.com/blog/2019/02/28, so it helps others!