Transmission problem helppp
  • Kamilsamek

Transmission problem helppp

by Kamilsamek » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:56 am

Hey guys, new to forum, wanted u to help me with my tranny problem. My bike is a 2006 crf250r. So i had issues with going from first gear to second, it was just going into neutral, then i had to stop for example move the bike forward a little and the i could pop in to second gear. It was not happening everytime, like 1 from 5 times, but its annoying especially on climbing hills. Its like something is blocking it from going to second gear. Took the engine out and apart. Changed all the bearings and gear selector which was kinda bent. Put the cases back together and still the problems exists. Usually it would be a bent RNR fork i guess, but it looks fine. What could be my problem? Sending some pics too. Thanks.
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    JimDirt

Re: Transmission problem helppp

by JimDirt » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:18 am

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Does the shifter itself move freely up/down , and return to center easily ??? , also , it is still possible the fork is bent and/or the shift fork shaft (the shaft that the shift fork slides on to) , lay it on a confirmed flat surface and roll it to see if its bent , even a very slight bend can cause issues , but i would still suspect the fork is bent , since your shifter itself is bent , then when the bike fell on the shifter it puts excessive force on the fork and usually it results in it getting jammed and bent

You can set the fork on a flat surface and with the shaft hole facing up/down look at and measure the distance from the left and right side of each fork tong , they should be equal distance from the flat surface , if not this would indicate the fork is twisted/bent and will need replacement , also look at the shift detent on the clutch side and make sure it is centered and nothing is binding with it , as sometimes the spring becomes jammed or comes off and holds pressure on the shifter shaft which goes all the way thru the transmission to the clutch side

But generally when you have a sufficient impact to the shifter itself , it usually results in a bent fork because the shifter is forced into over extension and the fork is the weak link after the shifter itself , and your symptoms seem to be confirming that , even the slightest tweak will make shifting difficult ......
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Kamilsamek

by Kamilsamek » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:08 pm

Well, your answer explained me a lot of things. The fork doesnt look like it got any kind of bent/twist. The forks shaft is straight. Its the RNR fork that is responsible for the 1st and 2nd gear right? Sending some more pics of the fork. Thanks a lot the reply.
    You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:58 am

That bottom picture looks to me like it is slightly tweaked , it may be a optical illusion in the way the pic was taken ,,,, did you set it on a flat surface in the position you are holding it , with the fork resting on the surface and then measure with calipers the distance from each fork to the surface ??? , that is the only real way you will confirm its not bent , even the slightest tweak can make it hard to shift or cause it to not want to get into gear

Look over the gears carefully and make sure there are no burrs or noticeable wear to the edges as well , if you have positively confirmed the shaft is 100% straight , then the only parts left are the forks and drum and gears , it has to be one of or more of these parts that is causing the binding , again , my money would be on the fork as that is the common result when the bike has been slammed hard enough on the shifter to bend it , it gets forced up or down and the next part in line will take the remaining force , usually this is the shift fork because its the weakest part next to the shifter itself , so once the shifter bends , then if the force is heavy enough , the shift fork then will bend , its very common .... 8-[
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Kamilsamek

by Kamilsamek » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:11 am

Well i measured it, doesnt seem to be bent. Is it possible both ends bent but got same distance to the surface? Is it the RNR fork that is used for 1st and 2nd gear? Thanks for your reply.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:47 pm

If all your parts measure out to be good and no damages found - Maybe the issue is with the clutch not fully disengaging when you are having the 1st & 2nd gear issues ?

Just a thought for you since your parts look to be in near new condition.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:22 pm

Neil is right , check your clutch basket , make sure there is no notching , that can hang the plates and keep it from shifting smoothly , i actually just filed mine down a couple weeks ago and it made finding neutral and shifting like butter , also make sure all 6 springs are intact , a broken spring can bind the plates , and make sure the basket itself does not wobble (grab it and try to rock it , if it moves from side to side , its worn and needs replaced) , that will make shifting near impossible
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Kamilsamek

by Kamilsamek » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:58 pm

Okay gonna check the basket, i think it have grooves so that might be the problem. Thanks a lot guys.