Opinions please
  • Phippen

Opinions please

by Phippen » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:19 pm

Hello all.
    I’m new to crfs only and recently bought a 2007 crf 250r. I don’t know the history of it other than the top end was done recently but unsure of how “recent” that may have been.
    It’s ran well since I got it, until I started it up, idled, made a rattle type noise and quit. Kick start stuck in the top position. No brass shavings in oil filter no shavings in crankcase.
    I’m thinking that I will just get a new rebuild kit and rebuild to save some $$
    Any thoughts on the best kits I should buy to do the job?
    Thanks a bunch.
    JimDirt

Re: Opinions please

by JimDirt » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:32 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

First thing i would look at is the starter gear behind the clutch , it sounds like something is going on with that possibly , that would be first and foremost , then try to figure out what is going on there , then , worry about buying parts , but not sure a rebuild kit is going to solve your issue anyway , does the engine turn over at all ?? , try removing the spark plug and putting it in gear and moving the rear wheel and see if the engine is moving/turning over , or better yet remove the right side large round plug and put a socket on the gear nut , and try to turn it over , it could be a timing chain issue and not the kick starter mechanism or something worse , you need to figure out what the issue is before just buying a bunch of parts that may or may not fix anything your actually having a issue with

That would be my advice ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho