CRF 250 or 450??
  • N Johnson

CRF 250 or 450??

by N Johnson » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:41 pm

Looking at both a 250 and 450 this weekend with a view to buy one of them, question being which one? Mainly used for motocross and am a intermediate rider (most of the time😁) so which one is best suited to me? Rode a 250 and seems a little more like a 2stroke as thought it was a bit of a snappy, the 450 seemed easier to ride to be honest but is it to much for mx with my ability??

Comments much appreciated please ladies and gents.

(PS/ looking at 2013 year bikes)
  • Back2-2

Re: CRF 250 or 450??

by Back2-2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:58 pm

Hello, that question can only be answered by you. ;)
    There are so many variables no one can tell you what is the best for you. If you like the snappy 2 stroke feel as you stated then there you go. If you found the 450 easier to ride as you stated then there you go.

Both are great bikes. Both are heavy and there is not a big difference in the weights. Both sit high so not much if any difference there. If you like the higher revving riding of the 250 that's it. If you like the grunt of the 450 that's it.
    I would rather have the grunt and lower rpm type riding of a 4 stroke 450 and grow into it over the 250 and wanting more after I got used to it.
    That's just my take on it. You can't go wrong with either bike. :D
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:57 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Pretty much agree with Neil , its kind of a "how you feel" situation , What you did not mention was your Weight , actual Skill Level , and Age and goal , are you planning on racing ? , are you planning on trail and fun riding and occasionally going to the track to ride with your buddies ?? , do you plan on hitting the track every weekend but only for "practice" ??? , with no racing in the plans ???? , those things make a difference as well , .... If you like the smoothness of the 450 , will you like it after a hour or more of riding hard and your arms feel like they are being torn off ??? , because a 450 WILL wear you out faster no matter how "easy" you ride it , a 450 will wear you out due to the power/torque , but with a 250 you will have to rev the crap out of to get the performance out of it that you have at your fingertips with the 450 , but at full power it will feel like a 450 in 3rd gear , and you will be going "is that it ??" , but at the end of a couple hour ride , you will be much less tired than after the same time on a 450 , a 250 favors lighter riders best , but you can do the suspension for any size/skill rider , but if you weigh 220 , your going to struggle with having enough power compared to your buddies flying by you on their 450's that weigh the same , with that said if your 130 and riding a 450 , its going to be the "my arms are being torn off" scenario

A 450 favors middle aged Vet riders (30's-50's) or young kids with no fear , it has enough power when you want it ,but you don't have to use all of it to keep the pace and have fun , where a 250 you have to ride it more like a 2 stroke , and keep it on the pipe and revving to clear the jump out of the corner , or to try to keep up on the straights , you can grow into a 450 , a 250 is what it is , and once your skill or power needs grow , the 250 is done and you will need a 450 , as a 250 is just a 250 , you can only get so much power out of it before it becomes unreliable , the average rider will never ride a 450 and say "i really need more power" , and if you add more power to it , it becomes unrideable

So hopefully you are not more confused as to what to get , but hopefully we made you think about what it is your looking to achieve , and gave you some guidance

You might also like to try a 350 , though Honda does not make one , nor do any of the other Japanese manufacturers , it would give you the best of both worlds , though the weight is close to that of a 450 , it allows smaller riders plenty of power , but you can ride longer like on a 250 but have more fun as your experience broadens , so you ride it like a 250 , but can grow into it and still have over 50hp at your fingertips and still have fun and you won't really outgrow it like you might on a 250 ..... food for thought....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • N Johnson

by N Johnson » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:59 pm

super comments cheers. a 450 it is this weekend 😎