Wanting to buy a used Honda CRF-230F need info
  • wfo4ever

Wanting to buy a used Honda CRF-230F need info

by wfo4ever » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:57 am

I am a new member on this site. I want to buy a used, clean, well maintained, stock with baffle Honda CRF-230F. Hopefully a wifes or girlfriends CRF-230F that has very low hours. I do not want one a teenager has beat into the ground thinking he had a CRF-450R. I have property in the mountains in NC and just want to ride on my trails. I would like as much information as possible on this model from the experts on this forum. First, what year models should I be looking for? I am sure some years are better than others. I really don't care for the look of newer models with the white on the rear fender, side panel, and tank. But it is only looks but white on a dirt bike looks bad in a short time. I had a 1986 XL-600R so I have dealt with white plastic before. I would imagine the bikes have been updated over the years. So which years should I be looking for? Also when looking at used bikes what known problems or issues should I be looking for? Over my 50 years of riding I know all motorcycles have some issues, some are small, some are a real problem and a good reason to buy a different year model or motorcycle. Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.
    crfsonly
    Owner

Re: Wanting to buy a used Honda CRF-230F need info

by crfsonly » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Welcome to CRF's Only. The CRF230F is a solid bike and any model year will serve you well if, as you rightly pointed out, has low hours and was well maintained. I always look at the frame under the engine. This will tell you a lot about how the bike was ridden or if it was jumped/cased often. Normal signs of wear on the frame above pegs and on the case covers will tell you some about how much it has been ridden. Good luck and again welcome!

Ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com