Which bike should I buy?
  • ivangrozny

Which bike should I buy?

by ivangrozny » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:05 am

Hello all,

I am brand new to dirt bikes. I am looking to purchase my first dirt bike and would only use it for trail riding. I am looking between the CRF230F and CRF250X. I have no experience riding a dirt bike and this would be the bike I would learn on. I have read that the 230F has weak suspension and it's smaller and quite a bit less powerfull than the 250X. I am worried that the 230F might be too small since I am 6'4 and about 200lbs. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    JimDirt

Re: Which bike should I buy?

by JimDirt » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:48 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

The first issue with either bike is going to be your weight , you far exceed the weight limits of the springs of either bike , so that would have to be addressed by replacing springs on whatever bike is chosen weather its a Honda or not , a 250X will come with a spring rate made for a 150 or less lbs. rider , a 230 would be more for a 130 lbs or less rider , even a 450X would only accommodate a 185 lbs rider with stock springs , at 200 lbs you will need a 0.47 - 0.49 spring rate for the forks and a 5.7 - 5.9 spring rate for the shock (too many variables to give exact rate) , but a stock 450X would be sprung more closely to your size and not require a spring change until your riding ability improved enough to overstress the stock sprung suspension , but without knowing what , if any , motorcycle experience you have , dirt street or otherwise , its hard for me to say just get a 450 , it would physically work better for you in stock form , but power wise , it might scare you out of riding if you have little to no bike experience , in which case the 250X would be better suited and i think even a novice would be able to handle the power output

With that said , i would say with your height the 250X would be the better choice of the 2 , as the 230 ergonomically would be really cramped for your height , along with the suspension not being able to correctly support your weight , also for the fact that you can continue to ride the 250 once you gain experience and still have a bike that is capable of supporting you needs (once the suspension is dealt with , which as mentioned will be the case no matter what brand or size bike you end up with) ....and.....Welcome to the dirt bike family !! =DD ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • ivangrozny

Re: Which bike should I buy?

by ivangrozny » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:10 am

Thank you very much for your reply!