New Gearing, Speed and RPM calculator....
    crfsonly
    Owner

New Gearing, Speed and RPM calculator....

by crfsonly » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:16 pm

I am pleased to announce a new tool for calculating final drive gearing, speed, and RPM's. I have only loaded a few CRF models and model years. More will follow. If you have the information necessary ot add a new model please feel free to send it to me in a PM.

Here's a link:

http://crfsonly.com/howto/gearing/motor ... ulator.php

I'd be interested in any feedback.

Ken
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by staffy24 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:54 pm

ok just a little bit over my head atm
    over 40 still ridin hard
    still learning
    crfsonly
    Owner

by crfsonly » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:32 am

ok..that's good feedback. here's a quick intro on how to use it.

1. Select the CRF model from the pull down.
    2. Click on the "Load" button once your model is slected.
    3. The stock transmission and final drive(front and rear sprocket sizes) will be displayed. It will also display lots of information about this gearing. Some of this information may or may not be important to you. For almost all the Speed at Max RPM for each gear is important.

Comparing Final Drive options:
    1. Put in comparison final drive sprocket sizes in the "Final (compare)" fields. The system will automatically display the comparisons to the stock.

This will help you decide which final drive gearing to select if you are looking for more/less top speed or more/less RPM in a specific gear/speed.

Hope this helps.

Ken
    Last edited by crfsonly on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    OEM Parts for Honda - Yamaha - Suzuki - Kawasaki: http://yeltrik.com

by Back2-2 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:06 am

That is slick Ken ! Now, I just have to find a 20T counter shaft sprocket... :P

I do think I'm going to try a 14T. Hoping for a little more MPH and lower RPMs for street use. I wish I had the OEM gearing 1st-5th and a 6th gear for OD.

Thanks Ken. Excellent tool !
  • Seven Bravo

Re: New Gearing, Speed and RPM calculator....

by Seven Bravo » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:54 pm

Speaking of gearing...

Has anyone had success in dropping a tooth on the drive sprocket to give the 2017 CRF450RX a better low end for trail/enduro riding??? If so, how did it affect the overall handling of the bike. AND, did it work to tame that throttle a bit for trail maneuvering??? I was thinking if I got the gearing a little lower, I may not have to preload my throttle and use my clutch so much for slow speed maneuvering.?.?.?

Thank you for your thoughts!
    Last edited by Seven Bravo on Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:20 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Actually , the issue is , going to a 12 would actually cause more issues than it helps ....

First it would make the chain tighter on the pivoting end of the swingarm (closest to the engine) , which will not only bind the suspension when compressing anything past having the swingarm level , but it would also cause the chain to dig into the slider and then dig right thru to the swingarm cutting a notch in the swingarm (not good , this happened to me on my 02 450R trying to gear it for trails)

Next , it will not actually solve the issue ... what you actually need is a flywheel or flywheel weight (I put a weight on my 2020 450R , not only did it incredibly help with stalling , but it also took away a major amount of compression braking , which was making the bike lurch forwards and back when coming into or exiting a tight corner) , it is now smooth and incredibly stable in tighter turns and much more controllable in using the throttle when wanting to feather it

I would highly recommend keeping the front as is , or even going up to smooth out the power delivery , or at most raising the rear a tooth or so , but when you raise the rear , then you lose top end ... not sure how much of a concern that is for you ... so you can go 13/52 and be pretty good , but I would expect it to still stall in the tight stuff without a flywheel/weight , regardless of what gearing you go to

I have tamed my 2020 450R by adding the flywheel weight , and going 14/51 on gearing , it smooths the bike out tremendously (I mainly ride moto , but where I ride is mainly off road , as is the course I mainly ride on , I have over 90 hours on my bike and about 80 of them are with the weight and gearing changes) , but it still has plenty to wheelie out of a corner in 3rd gear when I feel the need to grab a handful .... I can pretty much idle around in deep sand and not stall the bike ... it is really amazing what a simple change did for the stability entering and exiting corners and overall ability to let off the gas and not worry about a flameout , I have not stalled in a tight corner since doing this .... if you feel you lost a bit of snap , use Map #3 , if that is not enough , get a full Yosh system , it will make it a torque monster (I have the Yosh full Titanium system on my 20) I am so happy with the performance and rideability of my bike since the changes , it is a completely different bike now .. it still has gobs of power right now , is still really really fast and quick , and still is very manageable in the tight stuff when I ride into it ..... ;)
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • Seven Bravo

by Seven Bravo » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:00 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

Actually , the issue is , going to a 12 would actually cause more issues than it helps ....

First it would make the chain tighter on the pivoting end of the swingarm (closest to the engine) , which will not only bind the suspension when compressing anything past having the swingarm level , but it would also cause the chain to dig into the slider and then dig right thru to the swingarm cutting a notch in the swingarm (not good , this happened to me on my 02 450R trying to gear it for trails)

Next , it will not actually solve the issue ... what you actually need is a flywheel or flywheel weight (I put a weight on my 2020 450R , not only did it incredibly help with stalling , but it also took away a major amount of compression braking , which was making the bike lurch forwards and back when coming into or exiting a tight corner) , it is now smooth and incredibly stable in tighter turns and much more controllable in using the throttle when wanting to feather it

I would highly recommend keeping the front as is , or even going up to smooth out the power delivery , or at most raising the rear a tooth or so , but when you raise the rear , then you lose top end ... not sure how much of a concern that is for you ... so you can go 13/52 and be pretty good , but I would expect it to still stall in the tight stuff without a flywheel/weight , regardless of what gearing you go to

I have tamed my 2020 450R by adding the flywheel weight , and going 14/51 on gearing , it smooths the bike out tremendously (I mainly ride moto , but where I ride is mainly off road , as is the course I mainly ride on , I have over 90 hours on my bike and about 80 of them are with the weight and gearing changes) , but it still has plenty to wheelie out of a corner in 3rd gear when I feel the need to grab a handful .... I can pretty much idle around in deep sand and not stall the bike ... it is really amazing what a simple change did for the stability entering and exiting corners and overall ability to let off the gas and not worry about a flameout , I have not stalled in a tight corner since doing this .... if you feel you lost a bit of snap , use Map #3 , if that is not enough , get a full Yosh system , it will make it a torque monster (I have the Yosh full Titanium system on my 20) I am so happy with the performance and rideability of my bike since the changes , it is a completely different bike now .. it still has gobs of power right now , is still really really fast and quick , and still is very manageable in the tight stuff when I ride into it ..... ;)
    Wow! Right on! I really appreciate the feedback and I'll probably be following your lead. 8)

Thank you!

Yeah, top end IS a concern but not as big of a concern as lower speed maneuverability. Thanks again! Looks like I found the right website! 8)
  • Simbob1980

by Simbob1980 » Wed May 17, 2023 11:58 pm

Hi , I am buying a new crf300l soon and I want information on how to get a either 44, 45, 46 rear sprocket . Most available to me at honda is 42 . And ideas on part numbers and brands to suit . Also what is required to mount the sprocket if it's not a genuine part
  • Aussiecrf230

by Aussiecrf230 » Sun May 21, 2023 4:17 am

This is a 44 tooth.

https://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id/7605

You can PM Ken (CRFs Only) he might be able to source something with more teeth.

Going up in diameter to muck can cause issues with the chain guide.
    Ray
    Australia

CRF230F 2004
    C30F Power Up needle
    Mains 132
    Idle 45
    2 turns out
    Baffle out, Screens In

It starts,it runs,it gets to where all CRFs can get to without the valve or valve plate dramas