Sore wrists
  • domiNATE#42

Sore wrists

by domiNATE#42 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:56 am

Hi,

After jamming both my wrists during an Enduro in May, and then wrecking on a jump a few weeks later and racking my right wrist on my hand guard, and then weeks later a slide out that also slammed by wrist against my handguard. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good techniques to help build my wrist strength?

It seems like since the Enduro, the wrist deal has just been nagging. I've laid off trying (*Keyword=Trying* :lol: :lol: ) to jump my bmx bike. As I seem to do this about every day. My wrists now are easily bothered, right in the area behind the thumb on both hands. My right wrist, I would say, is much worse than my left. I've talked to a doctor and he said probably just a sprain. I think I might have hurt something having to do with bloodflow, as it loops around in the area that I hurt it. After I messed up on the jump the spot on my right wrist behind my thumb was very swollen. But I don't think anything was broken.

I rode my bicyle a couple days last week and did some small jumps, and my wrists were fine for a while, then came the oh-so familiar pain. I've laid off lifting weights too. From picking up a piece of paper to playing video games, anything is making my wrists hurt SO BAD and rendering them pretty much immobile at times.

Sorry for the novel, but any feedback would be great. :D

Thanks (p.s. I'm gonna try taping them when I ride)
  • Asmith

Re: Sore wrists

by Asmith » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:59 am

Potato wrote: I was wondering if anyone knew of any good techniques to help build my wrist strength?

That's a real loaded question on this site, with these animals... :shock:

I'm gonna sit back and watch the answers roll in. :lol:
  • domiNATE#42

by domiNATE#42 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:10 am

I knew that was on its way! :lol: :lol: :lol: Was just waiting. Oh, S-word, the "I'm 15" part probably doesn't help my cause any either! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    paul turner

by paul turner » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:27 pm

Just roll, with whatever's goin on in AS's brain there ! :P :)
    Be sure to alternate though :lol: :)
    If you ain't crashin', you ain't ridin' :-)
    paul turner

by paul turner » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:30 pm

Seriously though, I think you've damaged all the material around that little floater bone in your wrists. Cartalage and muscle can take up to 3 months to heal. :(

paul
    If you ain't crashin', you ain't ridin' :-)
    Riley

by Riley » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:31 pm

No, no, no...

He's got to stop for a while and take a rest.
    Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.

165 main, 42 pilot, JD Red needle 4th clip, R&D Flex fuel screw 2 turns out, open air box, FMF Q4. 4-9000ft, 50-100*
  • domiNATE#42

by domiNATE#42 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:02 pm

paul turner wrote:Seriously though, I think you've damaged all the material around that little floater bone in your wrists. Cartalage and muscle can take up to 3 months to heal. :(

paul

What should I do? Go to the docs? After all, the first time I went it was the day clinic for being sick, and I figured it probably wouldn't hurt to ask. He just gave me a quick answer. Probably not his best evaluation.
    RLPII

by RLPII » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:18 pm

My wife has a sore wrist too (from riding motorcycles :) ) and she went to the doctor who put a splint on it (removable) and told her to wear it as much as she could, especially at night while sleeping and to take anti inflammatory aspirin, like Aleve or Motrin. It helps, but hasn't cured it, so she is looking at possible surgery. I have had problems with my wrists too but I wear braces, the kind you can buy at the drug store, while riding and if they are sore I wear the braces all the time.
    Hope this helps - Good Luck
    Bob
    ~The way I ride no need to worry about cholesterol~
    2005 CRF 450 X
    gevo

by gevo » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:34 pm

damn. you crash more than I do.
  • domiNATE#42

by domiNATE#42 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:32 pm

Dude, there's a difference between having the back wash out on a grassy lawn and seriously crashing. And the whole jump deal, it was kinda rainy the night before so I just goosed it up and over this little natural tabletop kicker to just kinda test it (my brother and I were successfully airing it out the day before) it would really punt you out into this clearing. The bike washed on the face to the right, landed and cracked left, and then back right throwing me off somewhere in the middle. All was good but my wrist and landing in a shite load of rocks.

Off to the doc I go :D :lol: :lol:

P.S. And the whole Enduro thing was me fighting for 2nd place in my very first one. I got it.
    In2deep

by In2deep » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:01 pm

So did you go to the doctor or not?
  • domiNATE#42

by domiNATE#42 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:10 am

*UPDATE* Got X-rays Thursday, the report should be in tommorrow. I don't think they're broken though. Don't you just hate that when you get something from X-rays back and it's not broken. And the doctor sends you to therapy for a problem they can't even diagnose. That's my biggest fear right now. Let's go for BROKEn! :lol: :lol:
  • topgun

by topgun » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:23 pm

Well thats why there is a knob at the end to stop ya hand slipping off and hitting things which as you have found out hurts ...
    Bryce

by Bryce » Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:08 pm

your symptoms sound an awfull lot like a broken Scaphoid. I hope for your sake it's not, I broke my right one the second weekend in april and will be just getting back on the bike this week.

Bryce
  • domiNATE#42

by domiNATE#42 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:48 pm

*It's not broken (damn!) :lol: * Another Appointment tomorrow. The pain has gone down, then again I haven't done anything in the last couple weeks that involved gripping handlebars. It's started to definately flair up today. Wish me luck! :D