2005 crf250r spark plug
  • jessemullin

2005 crf250r spark plug

by jessemullin » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:13 pm

Tried to put a new ngk IMR8C-9H and it didn't fit. Looked at the plug that was in the bike and it's a Champion RA6HC. Looked both up and NGK is 10mm thread where the champion is 12mm. Did they use 2 different heads on these bikes? Odd that what is called out didn't fit.
    JimDirt

Re: 2005 crf250r spark plug

by JimDirt » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:49 pm

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

The plug hole should be 10mm , so i am wondering if the prior owner had stripped out the hole and had it redone , or incompetently redid it himself , if that's the case i would personally remove the head and either have someone (professionally) put a insert in it to get it back to the correct size so you can use the correct plug that your bike requires to run properly , or replace the head with one that has not been stripped and rethreaded with something that will not allow you to be able to use the correct size/type/performance plug designed for your bike specifically , besides creating issues like you are now experiencing

So your options are

1) Remove the head and have it professionally repaired to the correct thread size/pitch ... or
    2) Remove the head and replace it with one that has not been ruined from someone doing something that never should have been done in the first place

Those are about your only practical and suggested options that i can see ..... sorry ...
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • jessemullin

by jessemullin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:34 am

Yeah that is what I was thinking, that somebody messed up the threads and reworked the spark plug hole. I just wanted to make sure that Honda didn't run some head revisions that were different. I have rode it a few summers already with no issues so I will just use the champion. I did check the heat ranges and they are the same between the NGK and Champion so thats good.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:03 am

Heat range is not all of the equation , the tip of the electrode has to do with performance and heat in the cylinder , the "standard" tip that the Champion has can cause Detonation , etc , so its not just heat range , the plugs the engine calls for are specifically designed for the application , where the Champion would be more for a V8 , etc , and not designed for a Performance V8 either , that is why i suggested replacement/repair , as i personally would not run the bike that way , its just hard on parts , remember these are performance engines , not a lawn mower engine , NGK and ND might make a closer plug to the original , in the size you need that has the correct electrode (pinpoint fine electrode) till you can do the repair/swap , you want to pay attention to Tip Protrusion , and measurements of that plug in comparison to the OEM plug , they really need to "look" the same , , but bottom line , either repair or replacement would be your best option in this situation .....

I would never run a plug not made for my engine , not saying you need to do what i say , since you have been running it as is for a while , just saying running it like it is , is not the best option available , you can get a used head on eBay if new head cost is a factor , and just bolt it on and be on your way (just swap your cam tower , and adjust the valves) , then you can either repair the old head or just run the used one for the season , then maybe do a valve job , new piston/rings , over the winter and have a fresh bike for next riding season ..............................
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • GUnnarM72

Help

by GUnnarM72 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:18 pm

If i buy a used Yoshimura Exhaust for a 2010 Crf 250r will it fit a 2008 250r.
    JimDirt

Re: Help

by JimDirt » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:02 pm

If i buy a used Yoshimura Exhaust for a 2010 Crf 250r will it fit a 2008 250r.

Welcome to the site !! \:D/

It would have been better for you to make your own specific post , instead of asking in a topic that does not have anything to do with your issue/question , as i just happened to be looking at this topic at a new post , and it was yours which has nothing to do with the topic .... but , with that said , from what i see its 06-09 , then 10 , then 11-12 , so i am guessing it has to do with subframe mounting that is different between those years , so from what i am seeing it won't directly bolt on , unless someone who has one can confirm otherwise , i am going with , No , it won't work ....
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho