CRF250 R troubles!! Need Help ASAP!!
  • gharmon33

CRF250 R troubles!! Need Help ASAP!!

by gharmon33 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:59 am

Okay, we seem to have gotten the clutch problem fixed (thanks for the help guys). We got a couple other issues. First off, the bike runs all stock components and we bought it new. I rebuilt the engine, top and bottom ends, about 25 hours ago. The bike seems to be running hot for some reason. We don't see any water leaking but it boils over after riding. The engine even while warming up seems to be way hotter TO THE TOUCH than normal. I mean you can just feel the heat between your legs just sitting on it while running.

I haven't fooled with many computer issue but I know from my drag racing cars days that if one was mistimed (high I think) it would get hot as . and the headers would glow. The bike isn't a tooth off per cams/engine. Does the ECU or whatever you call them on bikes ever go bad gradually and possible cause some of this. While the radiators are bent there doesn't seem to be any leaks. How are the water pumps on these bikes? Are head gaskets known to blow on this thing? It also started getting harder to start than normal while cold. Now it's hard to start at anytime. He states he hasn't heard any detonating by he probably doesn't know what it is anyway. We always run 93 octane pump gas. Oh yeah the valves are within normal specs on the cam
  • gharmon33

by gharmon33 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:08 am

I posted that on another site and just copied and pasted it here. Other things I have now done is verified the timing, compression and leak down are good. I bought and replaced the stock fuel filter sock on advice from another site.
    Yesterday I hooked up the injector and tank to a 12 volt battery source and the injector seems to work fine.

The bike totally fails to crank at all now. Even with pulling it off if wont fire. It will "hit" occasionally but not even close to cranking.
    We have a race this weekend and I need this thing running. Any ideas?
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:44 am

Hello, if it is not firing - you need to check for consistent spark. Possibly stator failure or coil failure. Check ground lead.
    As for the running hot I would look into the water pump. Fluid going down ? Going into the trans ? Good flow seen when radiator cap is off and bike running ect...

Don't sound good for running it in a race this weekend. Sorry but those are the only things that I can think for you to look into quickly.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • gharmon33

by gharmon33 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:11 am

yes there is spark. I checked it using the old plug on the side of the head. I have this little tool that you can set the gap on and it fires that gap. I even held the damn thing with a spark plug up in it and it fired my tale up!!
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:55 am

You have more than one issue going on here with the not starting and believed overheating. One may have caused the other so you need to try and correct one at a time. Obviously you cannot trouble shoot the overheating without the bike running. So back to the basics.
    You need to ascertain you have fuel to be ignited. And they have to happen at the proper time. Have you done a compression test ? Fuel, air and compression - basics.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200