06 crf250r idles great w/choke then dies when choke shut off
  • bwendy9

06 crf250r idles great w/choke then dies when choke shut off

by bwendy9 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:48 pm

I know it seems like this has happened a lot, but I just haven't been able to find that smoking gun. It kicktarts 1-2 kicks. It sounds so smooth with the choke on. I slowly shut it off and the bike just falls on its butt. In order to keep it running when I shut the choke off, it has to be set at a super uncomfortable high idle. Also there is some popping in the exhaust when the choke does shut. I don't like it at all. I'm so close to taking it to a shop. It seems to me that this is a pilot circuit problem. Here are things I've done:

2hours on rebuilt head.
    Low hours piston<5
    New 45 pilot jet.
    168 main jet
    Cleaned carb.
    Checked float valve and seal
    Clip on needle is at #3 position
    All stock
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:11 am

It sounds like a lean condition , have you checked the Hot Start cable and plunger ?? , if the Hot Start sticks it will cause a lean condition

Also , very important !!

Is the gas FRESH ??? , if you had the bike sitting for any more than a month with the same gas in the tank , the gas is likely the issue , it will not burn properly in these motors , it will work fine in your car or lawn mower , but not the bike
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • bwendy9

by bwendy9 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:09 pm

The gas is fresh. Made sure the hot start is closing(very noticeable when open and closed). Really just lost. Anyone ever have to change the air jet?
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:25 am

I know you stated that the pilot jet is "new" but it sure sounds like a pilot jet issue. Maybe it came loose or possible clog from some debris ?
    Time to take the carb back off & take a look.
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200
  • bwendy9

by bwendy9 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:47 pm

Back2-2 wrote:I know you stated that the pilot jet is "new" but it sure sounds like a pilot jet issue. Maybe it came loose or possible clog from some debris ?
    Time to take the carb back off & take a look.

Carb is off and on the bench. I'm going to run welding wire through the flow path of the air circuit for the pilot as well as the fuel path for the pilot circuit. Also I will run it through the hole for the pilot screw hole. Then blow compressed air backward through the hole system. While I have it out, any other ideas? Maybe set the clip further down on the jet needle to hope that the main jet comes into play earlier? I shouldn't have to do that but I only have a handful of hair left on my head to pull out.
    JimDirt

by JimDirt » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:24 pm

By chance have you made sure the Fuel Screw O-Ring is not damaged ?? , if its not sealing around the screw it will cause a lean condition , is the washer in place ?? , the needle position is not going to affect idle , just mid to upper RPM , idle is fuel screw and pilot jet and hot start
    2020 CRF450R
    2006 CRF450X
    Weiser , Idaho
  • bwendy9

by bwendy9 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:00 am

JimDirt wrote:By chance have you made sure the Fuel Screw O-Ring is not damaged ?? , if its not sealing around the screw it will cause a lean condition , is the washer in place ?? , the needle position is not going to affect idle , just mid to upper RPM , idle is fuel screw and pilot jet and hot start

GOT IT!!! The mig wire that I ran off the machine I think did the trick. It was very difficult to actually get it through the pilot air circuit. I felt it pop through though and I blew it all out really well. It does idle a little high in choke but it is very responsive with the 45 pilot jet. Thanks for the help... Now onto work on the 08 that I fully rebuilt.
  • Back2-2

by Back2-2 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:40 pm

Cool deal ! I would have thought MIG wire would have been to stiff - but if it worked that's all that matters. :)

Word to the wise - don't get wild running wire through jets & passages. If you use regular wire to just push through a piece of debris then air to follow that is usually fine.
    If the passage becomes scored it can cause problems. Little bit of lube or WD40 helps avoid scoring
    There are true jet cleaning tools that are made for cleaning jets.

Glad you are up and running. 8)
    Neil
    Black Hills of SD
    Life without Motorcycles would just be boring, really boring
    Honda 450X. Yamaha Tracer GT900. HD Fat Boy. Triumph Bonneville. Yamaha Majesty 400. Yamaha Grizzly. Yamaha Wolverine. Yamaha TW200