• bamm

yup

by bamm » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:44 am

thats pretty cool.
  • chopper

CRF450X

by chopper » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:24 pm

Slomotobug-
    I have a riding friend that is in the process of doing nearly what you're thinking. He has just mounted an 05 450X engine in his 07 450R chassis. Lighter weight,less bulk, still with the button! I'll get him to post pics when its completed which should be soon.

Motosicko-
    I haven't weighed it yet but it feels much lighter than the stock X. Figure the only difference from the R would be the starter motor and gears, minimal wiring to operate the starter, the button,starter relay,an Ebatt and a battery tray. If you are a rider of an R it MAY be a noticable increase but if you were use to an X it IS a noticable decrease!
    06250R

by 06250R » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:28 pm

hey chopper, if i were to give you a 2006 CRF250R and a 250X could you do this to the X would you be able to do this? i am just wondering if you could do this again... because i have been thinking of doing something similar.. but i cant because i dont have any money:( or two bikes..
  • chopper

el

by chopper » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:49 pm

You will need either an X engine or at least the entire bottom end assembly from an X to couple with your top end. You would also need the wiring harness and all of the electrical components from an X. Once you have the needed parts, a battery tray and mount for the starter relay need to be fabricated in the airbox. Some mods also will be required to the wiring harness as well as a mounting point for the rectifier.
    Unfortunately you will need money in order to pay for the needed parts. I am willing to give you any assistance in how to perform the mods should you decide to attempt this project yourself, I wouldn't have time to do the swap for you as I am doing another project for myself this winter.
    06250R

by 06250R » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:01 pm

thanks chopper:) that has helped me figure out what i would need. could you instead of making a bracket in the airbox for the batery could you possibly cut out some foam in the seat near the bottom and put it there? i would go with the bracket but just wondering.
    thanks again:)
  • chopper

by chopper » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:02 pm

I failed to mention that a mini battery such as the Ebatt (apparently no longer in business) or Turntech helps this conversion as they do not require as much space as a conventional battery. I would think that cutting a hole in your seat wouldn't be a wise decision, for one, the foam is thin as is and if it were any thinner you would feel as if you were riding on the battery.
  • edgrrr

by edgrrr » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:04 am

Nice work. I have always wondered if an external starter kit could be designed for a CRF just to get the cold start / pit starts / garage starts out of the way. It would be a female ratchet embedded in the crankcase cover that you would power with a male attachment in a cordless drill. Given your knowledge of the R and X crankcases, would it work?
  • chopper

by chopper » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:38 pm

You're very close as to what will work! You'll need more than a cordless drill to spin it over but your idea is very similar to what the flat track racers use for electric start.