2012 KTM 350 XC-F vs. 350 XCF-W vs. 450 XC-W
    riddler9

2012 KTM 350 XC-F vs. 350 XCF-W vs. 450 XC-W

by riddler9 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:12 pm

Anyone ridden these beyond the dealer test track? I need to drive a long way to ride the 450, and by only being able to ride the dealer track I really can't put the 350's through a good test. Concerned about the 350 to begin with, but the XC-F transmission seems to help a bit. Having said that, I would rather have the PDS on the XCF-W/XC-W.

Again, looking for first hand knowledge.

Thanks.
    Official Lurker

• 357Warrior

by 357Warrior » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:32 pm

I know someone that owns a 350 and he was on his 5th fuel pump....he was ready to light that baby on fire last time we went riding. :twisted: :shock: ;)
    "If you think it's impossible, it's possible you're not thinking"
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:08 pm

Interesting. Have not found that problem, but then again was not specifically looking either. Decided chancing the 350 was not worth it. Called every dealer in 9 States; found exactly two 2012 450's. Got a purchase agreement, deposit, and VIN, so if the deal sticks I pick it up Saturday after a very long drive.
    Official Lurker

riddler9

by riddler9 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:00 pm

1000 mile round trip, but it is home! I probably won't be able to take it out for a couple of weeks; pretty sure it will take all of next weekend to take care of the stabilizer, voyager, graphics, etc.

Cant even say how happy I am right now, but at the same time already miss riding my X. Time to start prepping the suspension on that for my son. Maybe someday Honda will get their stuff together and make the X current. Until then, looks like I'm riding a cream sickle :)

Official Lurker

• Wardlaw

by Wardlaw » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:53 am

I have to say while I love my X, if the means were available I would buy a 2012 450 XC-W. Haven't thrown a leg over one but I have yet to hear anything even remotely resembling a criticism. My only real issue with my X has always been weight and it appears KTM has that taken care of. Congrats to you on scoring one. When they announced the new model they told everyone if you want one you better jump on it and apparently they were correct.

After you log some seat time on that bad boy give us some reports. In other words, turn the dagger! LOL!
    2007 450X
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:45 am

Wardlaw wrote:I have to say while I love my X, if the means were available I would buy a 2012 450 XC-W. Haven't thrown a leg over one but I have yet to hear anything even remotely resembling a criticism. My only real issue with my X has always been weight and it appears KTM has that taken care of. Congrats to you on scoring one. When they announced the new model they told everyone if you want one you better jump on it and apparently they were correct.

After you log some seat time on that bad boy give us some reports. In other words, turn the dagger! LOL!

I read the same thing about them not lasting at the dealer but figured that was just fluff. But after this experience coupled with dealers already taking pre-orders for 2013's, you can say I am a bit more enlightened.

So far only a stroll down the block with my wife on back, but just from that I can tell this thing has some serious power :twisted:

Started tearing it down late yesterday preparing for parts that will be arriving this week. Everything on the bike has a purpose. Attention to detail is simply amazing. They incorporate serious goodies like braided hydraulic lines (brake and clutch) down to the little niceties of a quick release fuel line (just push the button and the coupler comes off). Almost every bolt is hex with a torex center - No such thing as a stripped head that you wont get a second chance at :shock: I always knew that KTM's came with lots of goodies, but this is much more that I expected.
    Official Lurker

• Hondacrfrider

by Hondacrfrider » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:04 pm

nice bike. did you get an account on ktmtalk.com yet? haha ad good luck with the fuel injection and stuff like that
    Bikes in order
    -2009 crf150f (sold)
    -2008 crf230f (sold)
    -2008 crf250x (Dad's bike)(sold)
    -2008 ktm 144sx (mine, sold)
    -2009 crf100f (sister's bike)
    -2012 crf250r (mine)
    -2012 crf250r (dad's)
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Hondacrfrider wrote:nice bike. did you get an account on ktmtalk.com yet? haha ad good luck with the fuel injection and stuff like that

When KTM first went to fuel injection they were using 5 micron filters at the inlet. Needless to say folks were lucky to get 5 hours before the power was gone. They now run a 20 micron in its place. I also picked up the filler neck filter. No biggie. At least they are trapping the crud before it gets to the injector. Would rather replace filters than clean injectors any day.
    Official Lurker

• dirtae

by dirtae » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:19 pm

Nice buy Riddler! That bike looks awesome, and sounds like it'll be nice to work on with all the attention to detail you talked about. Any more shots of the bike?
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:24 pm

dirtae wrote:Nice buy Riddler! That bike looks awesome, and sounds like it'll be nice to work on with all the attention to detail you talked about. Any more shots of the bike?

Thanks! - always have more photos...

Just shaved the seat

R engine detail

After skid plate and pegs

Controls

R profile

R Rear

L Profile

L Front

I will be doing bars, Scotts sub (with orange TT mount), grips, Rally Pro's, Voyager, and graphics. Hope to be done this weekend.
    Official Lurker

riddler9

by riddler9 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:25 pm

So a bit of an update-

Honeymoon is not completely over, but a few things about the KTM that bug:
    Had to pretty much grease everything. Head bearings had a bit of dried grease on the outside, and nothing in the pack area. Wheel bearings, although sealed, had no grease under the outer seal so anything that made it past would be going straight to the bearing. Funny thing was the rear axle was coated perfectly.

Seems they use an add-on harness for the EXC, so the XC-W has a couple of connectors for the EXC harness that are uncapped. On the positive side, the stock computer power plug is a direct fit for the Trail Tech Voyager - no modification required to get power.

KTM must needs to dial back the zip-tie tool. Virtually every zip-tie used has permanently marked the harness/cable housing - and they use a bunch! Plan was to cut off the zip-ties and replace with velcro BEFORE they caused damage. They also have a love affair with using rubber straps in other places. They work good for now, but I expect heat and time will deteriorate them pretty quickly.

The clutch line and a rather important electrical wire run the left side of the head tube. KTM did a really poor design of making a groove for these to fit in so unless you catch it early and 'fix' the problem your going to catch and pinch them before the tree hits the left stop.

The service manual is only available on CD (not a problem) but the contents are a bit of a joke.

So far that is the negatives. Overall the bike is extremely easy to work on - everything I have tried to do is very accessible and things fit well, although some things (like putting the rear fender back on) are a bit of a puzzle the first time.

Last "clean" photo before I turn it into a scratch-and-dent...

The full album (still have some to load) is here: http://s1190.photobucket.com/albums/z453/1p0pp1cs/KTM%20450%20XC-W/?albumview=slideshow
    Official Lurker

• Hondacrfrider

by Hondacrfrider » Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:36 pm

cool bike for sure :D good luck with and i hope you dont expirence any problems with it
    Bikes in order
    -2009 crf150f (sold)
    -2008 crf230f (sold)
    -2008 crf250x (Dad's bike)(sold)
    -2008 ktm 144sx (mine, sold)
    -2009 crf100f (sister's bike)
    -2012 crf250r (mine)
    -2012 crf250r (dad's)
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:50 pm

Finally got out to ride. Very happy with my decision. My ultimate goal was a more powerful version of a 250X, meaning I wanted a smooth ride and a 450 that feels like a 250 weight wise. I think I came as close as I can get.

First hour was in the field behind the house. Logged just over 50 miles with the back wheel on the ground, front was optional. I had taken the time to get my controls, bar height, and seat as close to the way the 250X was set up to minimize the amount of time it took to get comfortable. Only complaint from the first hour was the n-style seat cover I put on was like velcro - a bit too tacky when it is clean. Bike hooked up amazingly well for what was really just taking it easy. The XC-W had minimal slide cornering on the dry clay, and started to cut ruts in the corners very quickly - MX51's stock front/rear. Hydraulic clutch is super consistent but I did not work it hard enough to see any fade.

Saturday was amazing. Again, still under break-in conditions so no max power stuff but I did make the bike work. We did 52 miles, about half was technical - very technical single track with very tight turns and/or rocks/boulders, and some challenging hills. Zero complaints on performance and maneuverability. The XC-W is balanced extremely well. Unlike the 250X which likes to wash out the front end if you get you weight over the bar, this thing just took it like it was supposed to.

The seat was hard before I cut it down, now it is like a brick. On the plus side I did not sit down much but it is likely because it was just that uncomfortable. I will be exploring options on that soon.

Stock suspension settings are good for most of what I rode, but it did turn into a pogo stick on some very big hoops that I failed to get on top of. I will leave it alone for now and get some more time on the bike to see if I improve. The Brembo brakes will take some getting use to on the rear. Slid past (okay, WAY past) a couple of trail heads from the dirt roads.

Biggest complaint? The tank, hands down. I put in the sock filter to pre-filter what goes in, but I do not think that is the entire cause for the impossibly slow fill time. Go slow or it spills out. And what is the point of having a clear tank if you cant see the fuel line? Can't help but to think that is the reason the Hungarians use blue fuel - so you can see it in the tank!

Not a Honda, but it is staying. Not perfect, but it has taken less money to get it to where it currently sits than I believe I would have put into a new 450X, plus it has FI. When it brakes I may change my tune, but until then my garage is multi-national.
    Official Lurker

• KXing

Cool looking ride

by KXing » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:53 pm

But keep a eye on the plastic foot on the kick stand, my buddy has a 250 exc and it broke off, bike has three hours on it now this happened within the first hour just standing it up in a rocky area, Easy fix take it to a welder and replace with a metal foot aka weld on a 1.5 inch washer. Quick question did it come with a sa on it, the 250 two stroke had to buy one seprate
    riddler9

by riddler9 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:53 am

thanks for the tip on the plastic tip - just bought a welder to do some projects. Maybe the kickstand will hold together long enough for me to learn how to use it :)

sorry, what is a "sa"??? let me know and I can tell you if it has one.
    Official Lurker